I've got a custom pedal steel on the way and I'm thinking of wiring schemes as I will have a large control panel and cavity to work with. The instrument will have two sliding pickups and a 6-position rotary switch (bridge, neck, parallel, series, parallel(out of phase), series (out of phase)). It will have a tone pot for each pickup, but no volume pots as I will be using a volume pedal.

I've been thinking about making this a switchable stereo instrument.

- mode 1, the above setup will apply.

- mode 2, each pickup will be wired to independent outputs.

How would this be done? I don't see a point to the rotary switch in mode 2, so would it be bypassed entirely? In that case, that would mean the tone controls would need to be wired after the rotary switch? Would this require three outputs, or would it still only take two?

Does anyone see any problems with this setup? Would it be difficult to wire up?
Last edited by Sabicas at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by Sabicas
How would this be done?
Most straight-forward approach would be to have a 4PDT switch to connect the pickups to either your selector or two separate outputs.

Quote by Sabicas
I don't see a point to the rotary switch in mode 2, so would it be bypassed entirely?
Bypassing would make sense.

Quote by Sabicas
In that case, that would mean the tone controls would need to be wired after the rotary switch?
No. The tone controls should be connected directly to the pickups.

Quote by Sabicas
Would this require three outputs, or would it still only take two?
You should only need 3 poles to redirect the pickups past the selector, if you plan properly. The fourth could be to connect one of the outputs to the selector or a pickup, depending on mode.

Quote by Sabicas
Does anyone see any problems with this setup? Would it be difficult to wire up?
Looks pretty straight, to me. Difficulty depends on your skills. Dunno what yours are.

I suggest using this thread:
The Ultimate Guitar Wiring thread - READ the first page! OR ELSE!

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.