I am going to buy a Line 6 Spider 30w amp. I only have $200 and I need 30w or more. I play rock. And I am far from professional. I just Need something to be heard in basement jam sessons; 15w just aint cutting it. Advice, ideas?

I know that UG hates line 6 spiders, and there is no need to remind me.
Funny

(\__/)
(='o'=)
(")_(")
the people that hate spiders are generally the ones that have no experience with them, or have not tried to create a good tone on it. While it doesn't stand up to a lot of other amps out there, it is a great amp for the price, if you spend time with it. If you're not using it for professional needs, yeah it's fine

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
no.

peavey vypyr 30 is much better.

vox valvetronix xl series are discontinued and apparently american musical supply is having a close out sale.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOX-AD100VTXL-LIST

never tried an xl but i use a regular ad15vt for a practice amp.
one is $219 for 100watts.

that's actually a pretty awesome deal.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
SPBY lies. The Spider really does suck. Get a peavey vypyr or Vox VT30
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
while i would agree that the vypyr is better, the spider isn't bad as a practice amp

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
though these amps catch alot of hate they do make great starter amps, i myself have one and if your looking for an amp to get started or even just to advance your playing i would definately suggest it. it is a pain to sometimes when trying to perfect certain sounds for certain songs, and the tap set delay takes a little getting used to (though it might just be me)
but the effects are great for alot of bucket head and if thats not your style then you can get really good classic rock tone with some nob adjustments, i like playing tons of rock such as old aerosmith, ACDC, led zeppelin,and rolling stones. and lots of hard rock, mostly old guns n roses, and metallica. though metallica is actually metal. hope this was helpful. good luck man
Quote by boston1992
though these amps catch alot of hate they do make great starter amps, i myself have one and if your looking for an amp to get started or even just to advance your playing i would definately suggest it. it is a pain to sometimes when trying to perfect certain sounds for certain songs, and the tap set delay takes a little getting used to (though it might just be me)
but the effects are great for alot of bucket head and if thats not your style then you can get really good classic rock tone with some nob adjustments, i like playing tons of rock such as old aerosmith, ACDC, led zeppelin,and rolling stones. and lots of hard rock, mostly old guns n roses, and metallica. though metallica is actually metal. hope this was helpful. good luck man

That's pretty much EXACTLY what I play...

Thx.
Funny

(\__/)
(='o'=)
(")_(")
i thought my spider was great for about 5 months, then i realized it had a thin lifeless tone that sounds overly processed. the peavey vypyr is good though
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Spiders don't stand up to the Vypyrs or the Cubes, which are in the same price barrier.

However, the spiders do definitely have the edge in terms of gain, and a lot of metal players who haven't discovered tubes or are on a tight budget use them.

Spiders aren't my preferred amp choice, but I never get a bad tone from one if I'm in a rehearsal room and that's all that's there.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by SPBY
while i would agree that the vypyr is better, the spider isn't bad as a practice amp

He needs at least a jamming amp. TS, it's obvious you don't know a lot about amps. 30w solid state is pushing it for jamming. And again, you will get sh!t tone with the spider. You will regret getting it in a few months. Please save your money, I'm trying to save you money and frustration. Believe me.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
DON't BUY IT!!! I've had a 75 w for 2 years and i hate the thing, i sold it on ebay just to make room. Spiders eq's are horrible and the thing can't produce any of the tones it says it does. I would hghly recommend buying a used Roland Cube 60 w. you can find one used for about 200 to 250. These are excellent little amps that actually sound good. the peavy Vypyr is a nice amp but The roland has it beat in my opinion, its just seems most people haven't heard of the roland cube for some reason. Vypyr woudn't be bad though, its a pretty nice amp really, but after trying both of them out I'm very happy I got the roland cube instead.
A friend of mine was using a Peavey Vypyr 15w (!!) and it was easily keeping up with drums, vocals, and bass. If I were you, I'd get a Vypyr 30 or 75; the effects, the gain structures, and the overall tone is much better then the Spider. I have a Spider, and the only thing I can stand to use it for is a monitor when recording.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Spider would be good for alone practice, but playing with a band it ain't too good. as long as you don't try to gig with it. 30w isn't enough for band jamming when it's solid state. the peavey vypyr 30w is tube so it should work good for jamming, and i heard its great for the price. as always, test out amps first. if u can, test the two together and someother amps if u want, see what suits your needs better.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
the spiders crunch channel is absoluetely worthless IMO, which would be all of your dirty classic rock tones, the cleans were pretty cheesy and didn't sound great at all, the effects didn't impress me at all, the metal and insane channels are passable but not great

my 2 cents on the spider if i were you i would go with a SS amp that is NOT a modeller in that range, try em out and find one you like.
The Vypyr 30 seems pretty loud for a 30 watt solid state. My bud I jam with uses one and we jam with a band a lot. It holds its own.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan