if i put some decent like 100~150$ guitar pickups in my cheesy yamaha guitar, am i going to get a half way decent tone? not great, but decent? or is this just going to be a waste of money? im looking for a decent clean tone...
I'd say when it comes to tone
80% is from the amp
10% from the pickups
10% from the guitar.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
what's your amp?

and yeah you can take them out again if you want.

you need to start with a guitar that stays in tune and has a real wood body.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It depends on your amp and the quality of wood. The pickups aren't the majority of your tone. I wouldn't invest $100-150 in a low end yamaha guitar. It wouldn't be worth it to me. I'd sell the guitar on craigslist or ebay and buy something used $200-300. Which will have at least decent pickups.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Guitar2theface
I'd say when it comes to tone
80% is from the amp
10% from the pickups
10% from the guitar.

No.

Closer to...

30% amp
25% speaker
25% pickups
20% guitar

It ALL matters. Trying to quantify how much effect a certain part has on your tone is useless because they all interact with each other and are all dependent on each other. If you have a low end setup, then yeah, maybe it's more important to get a good amp first, but if you have a good amp, the effect of pickups and guitars can be huge.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 21, 2009,
honestly it could go either way man, i tried it with my girlfriends guitar when she asked me to make it sound atleast reasonable, it was one of those guitars from first act(i know), i took my emg pickups and modified the body so they would fit, the work i put in to it really paid off, and the sound was really warm for a crap heap like that, but my friend who is a million times better at guitar(playing and building) tried it with the same pickups and a slightly better guitar and it still sounded bad

my advice is to save for a better guitar
if ur guitar is made of a cheap woood get emgs
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by al112987
No.

Closer to...

30% amp
25% speaker
25% pickups
20% guitar

It ALL matters. Trying to quantify how much effect a certain part has on your tone is useless because they all interact with each other and are all dependent on each other. If you have a low end setup, then yeah, maybe it's more important to get a good amp first, but if you have a good amp, the effect of pickups and guitars can be huge.

yep its all really even. Also there is also the player aspect of it.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I always get a good chuckle when people say... "amps are 90% of your tone! a crappy guitar through a good amp will sound better than a good guitar through a crappy amp!" which is true but at the same time, a good amp through a bad speaker will sound just as bad as a bad amp through a good speaker (maybe even worse), so are we going to say that speaker is more important than your amp? of course not...
Quote by al112987
I always get a good chuckle when people say... "amps are 90% of your tone! a crappy guitar through a good amp will sound better than a good guitar through a crappy amp!" which is true but at the same time, a good amp through a bad speaker will sound just as bad as a bad amp through a good speaker (maybe even worse), so are we going to say that speaker is more important than your amp? of course not...

sweep the leg!

usually a pretty good amp, has a pretty good speaker.
just an observation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
sweep the leg!

usually a pretty good amp, has a pretty good speaker.
just an observation.
tell that to my quad of g12t75s. yuck...

cobra kai never die! LOL
^This or Duncan Designed Pups. Basically cheaper, korean made SD's, I can personally recommend the Duncan Designed Detonator in the bridge, dont get the neck version though, poor cleans and even worse when given distortion. But I liked the Distortion in the bridge model, for it being a $25 pickup that is.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

That depends on the wood. If it's Alder or Mahogany then it's set for EMG's if it's Basswood or Agathis you'll be taking a risk on customizing your guitar.
Quote by Fardarkcrow
That depends on the wood. If it's Alder or Mahogany then it's set for EMG's if it's Basswood or Agathis you'll be taking a risk on customizing your guitar.

dude, just stop giving advice.

basswood can also be a good piece of wood.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
dude, just stop giving advice.

basswood can also be a good piece of wood.

I'm not saying that Basswood is bad. I'm saying that EMG's sound better with Alder or Mahogany.
Quote by Fardarkcrow

I abhor EMGs, but I'm sure you could put them in any nice sounding guitar and get equally horrible results.
Keep in mind that pickups are also transferable. You can put some good pickups in a cheap guitar to improve your tone, and then put those pickups in a new guitar when you upgrade.
Personally, i think that basswood is very good if you make the right kind of guitar with it. In fact, it is my favorite type of wood to make a guitar out of.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
More likely the kid hasn't played guitar for very long and swapping out the crappy stock pickups with some nice ones would blow his mind and he wouldn't be able to tell the difference between wood.

Get a basswood guitar, play it with a mahogany guitar with a flamed/quilted maple top with the same pickups and I can't tell the damn difference.
^Half a lie. The BASS in the BASSwood would sound hella crappy to some extent.
Quote by Fardarkcrow
I'm not saying that Basswood is bad. I'm saying that EMG's sound better with Alder or Mahogany.

Well that's all subjective now as to what sounds good through what. And i'll agree to chuck in some cheaper pickups since once you start buying pickups that cost as much as your guitar maybe it's time for a new guitar.