So I want a tighter, higher gain sound, and was wondering what kinds of OD pedals would do this for me? Would a TS9 or TS9DX do this? Or should I be looking at something else?
And what is a good octaver pedal... I have no clue when it comes to them. I know a POG is a good one... but holy hell, expensive hah.
I was wondering if there are any octavers that can also do an octave up, instead of just an octave down?
And budget for OD is $100-150, and budget for Octaver is around the same.
Thanks in advance.
Oh, and I play satch/vai kinda stuff, so still high gain, but not metal by any means.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by DTay47 at Jul 21, 2009,
For your Octave pedal I would recommend a Micro POG if you want to play chords with your octave sounds. If you want some crazier noises, Digitech Whammy is great, although chords don't come through to well with it.

I don't have enough experience with many OD pedals to tell you what you should get for that one.
Xotic BB Preamp
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Yeah I do want to play chords with the octaver, so yeah the Whammy is out, I have tried the whammy, and it really does suck with chords, and is too expensive for a one trick pony I think.
And yeah the Micro pog is nice, does it do one octave up like the POG? Or what? It also seems to be a bit out of my budget though...
And can most other octavers sound good with chords?
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
If you can afford it the OCD is a killer pedal. i've got a Keeley SD-1 that i won't sell either another great pedal. Either would the job Very Good!! I never had a chance to plat any of the Xotic stuff but i 've heard people rave.
Quote by DTay47

And can most other octavers sound good with chords?

No, the only one I know that does it is the POG/HOG, the boss oc 3 has a poly mode, but it doesn't work that well and it doesn't go an octave up.
I hear the OCD is a great overdrive, but not so great for tightening up your tone, which is what I mainly want. Would a keely modded SD-1 be good for that too? And the BB preamp is nice as hell too, smooth, warm... just a solid OD. Would this be good for a tighter tone too? Cause if it is, I will definately upgrade my budget for one of those bad boys.
And so basically, if I want a octaver that actually sounds good with chords... the POG is the way to go? Can the micro pog still do the octave up too? Cause the POG seems a bit overkill to me.
Thanks already.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
The OCD is works great to tighten up your tone or a stand alone pedal! The keeley will tighten it to. it'll just add a bit more color........but thats not a bad thing just different. Both have a killer marshall tone But the OCD is a better stand alone pedal and the 18v kicks ass.
The Micro POG has octave up and octave down. The normal POG has 2 more options: 2 octave up, and 2 octave down.

So yes, the Micro POG will get you what you want, it would be the cheapest solution to your problem as well.
Sweet, and I'm assuming the POG is also good for single notes too?
And which would be better at tigthening up your tone (and better for my style, satch/vai, high gain stuff) the OCD, or the BB Preamp?
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
That tone is delicious... and he gets that good of a high gain sound using the BB preamp eh? I kinda thought it was used for lower gain... but ****, apparently it can do high gain, extremely well too!
And why the hell is the POG2 cheaper than the POG? I've pretty much decided I'll get that then, since yeah the microPOG is good, but I would rather have MUCH more options, and for the price, the micropog doesn't give you that much (but what it gives you, is amazing hah).
Damn, I'm impressed with the BB preamp. Anyone know if the Andy Timmons signature is really all that different? It's actually the same price as the normal one.... and comes with an AT DVD. Sweet deal. Probably will pick that up.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
The best part the OCD is with the HP and LP feature you can use the Hp and get boost of the whole signal or the Lp and get a more of bottom end boost. i have a couple guitars that are pretty bright and i use the LP with them and HP with the onthers........it's a KILLER pedal.
Quote by mmjohn
The best part the OCD is with the HP and LP feature you can use the Hp and get boost of the whole signal or the Lp and get a more of bottom end boost. i have a couple guitars that are pretty bright and i use the LP with them and HP with the onthers........it's a KILLER pedal.

I have no problem getting a bright enough tone really, so I'm not sure if the OCD is better than the BB preamp (for me at least). And the OCD and BB Preamp are actually pretty similar in prices.... decisions gah!
I wish I could actually try these two damn pedals out, if other stores carried boutique pedals hah. The BB preamp seems much better to me... MUCH warmer, but not sure whch one is really better to tigthen up my tone dammit.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
I very highly recommend the Keeley TS9 mod plus. Its an all round excellent pedal, it really tightens up your sound and gives a good amount of bite while still being a tremendously warm sounding pedal.

By the way i tried a Keeley TS9 against a OCD and for tightening up an amp and i think the OCD was slightly too harsh in my opinion, so i went with the TS in the end and i continue to be extremely pleased with the purchase.
I've got a Keeley SD-1 also a killer od if your looking for a marshally tone.
Quote by mmjohn
If you can afford it the OCD is a killer pedal. i've got a Keeley SD-1 that i won't sell either another great pedal. Either would the job Very Good!! I never had a chance to plat any of the Xotic stuff but i 've heard people rave.

if you want to tighten up your amp go for the ts-9 over the ocd

i use both and the ocd is better for a lead boost while the ts-9 tightens up your amp like it's its job

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

do you want just octave or octave fuzz?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by timzee117

i use both and the ocd is better for a lead boost while the ts-9 tightens up your amp like it's its job

Damn... so are we talking about a normal TS9 here, cause I would be down with that, much cheaper. If we are talking about a keeley TS9, then I will just get a BB preamp, worth it IMO.
The BB preamp is just so damn nice... DAMN.
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by timzee117

i use both and i like my OCD for tightening over the ts-9. But the ts-9 does do hell of a job tightening the OCD haha. IMO of course.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Lemme explain more clearly here. The Micro POG can play chords clearly, which also means that it can play single notes clearly too.

I believe Satch himself has a POG.
Lol, same suggestion as the last thread. A MXR GT-OD, i have mine in a Engl Fireball and it made it more tighter and added some more gain. I also used it on my SS amp, and it made it sound ALOT better. The pedal made this sound with the amp that made it seem louder and more umphier (sp?).