I want the tone from cant stop, by RHCP.

How do you get it?
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
with so many metal stuff you sure gonna get it.... with my guitar i easily get it in clean tone with the bridge pickup and the knobs of the fender amp are in treble 8, mid 5, bass 7 and reverb between 4 and 3 hope you get it
haha dont worry, im getting a Strat! and i dont even play metal anymore.

Its Crap

/Flameshield.
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

You need to get a better amp before you buy another guitar.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
no. my amp is perfect for me. i only use low volume, so a tube, would be useless.
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Get a 5 watter, your tone is going to suck no matter what guitar you buy.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
no it doesnt actually. solid states are sometimes nice. especialy the crates.
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

no it doesnt actually. solid states are sometimes nice. especialy the crates..
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

well to get his tone you kind of do need a tube amp because thats what he used....... argue all you want lol.
You should buy an MG cause John uses a Marshall........... kidding.........
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
While Strat/marshall amps are the easier ways to go about it,

Look at the wya he ****ing picks the song live. You can tell he is hammering on the strings to get a more stressed sound out of them, emulate that on any guitar and its' a pretty decent sound for that song, so long as your EQ isn't off by a long shot. Strats get the distressed sound easier, but its' doable with all guitars.
So i was looking at getting a new amp soon,

I'm mostly playing metal (old metallica, all that remains, disturbed, machine head, lamb of god etc

But i also like to play blink 182 and stuff for lols.

but i'm just wondering what amp would be the best,

I'm looking to spend aorund $800-900AUD

I was looking at a peavy valveking 112 (i think they're tube amps?)

or maybe a peavy vyper 75w

Any other suggestions?

EDIT:... i somehow replied to this thread instead of making a new one? :s
Quote by manhangi
While Strat/marshall amps are the easier ways to go about it,

Look at the wya he ****ing picks the song live. You can tell he is hammering on the strings to get a more stressed sound out of them, emulate that on any guitar and its' a pretty decent sound for that song, so long as your EQ isn't off by a long shot. Strats get the distressed sound easier, but its' doable with all guitars.

The thing you need to also be able to do is is to mute your other strings very accurately if you really want to get that 'sound'
Quote by Pac_man0123
The only answer to this question: BUY A STRAT!!!

Or a Tele. It sounds a lot punchier when he uses the Tele instead of the Strat.
Can't Stop is played with a Tele usually, not a Strat.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Honestly, this is a song that begs for a tube amp. A tube amp with a small amount of drive that responds to your picking dynamics is the best way to get the tone for this song. It's a relatively clean tone, Frusciante adds that little bit of crunch by hitting the strings hard and driving the tubes a little bit. It's classic Marshall crunch, and you're going to have a hard time getting the right tone out of your Crate.
Quote by GreenDay0013
no it doesnt actually. solid states are sometimes nice. especialy the crates.

Expensive solid states, yes. All crates i've tried i've found very lackluster. I'd say if you want to play rhcp style things pick up an epi valve jr. 5 watts. pretty sweet.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by GreenDay0013
no it doesnt actually. solid states are sometimes nice. especialy the crates..

and yet in your sig, it says "Crate GT65....... lame." which tells me you're not happy with your amp.

with that said, the tone in question is more technique than tone - just use a clean setting, bash the guitar with your picking hand whilst muting the strings you don't want with your fretting hand while you fret the strings for the notes you do want. i think that's how it's done anyway - that's how i've seen people play it - the people who got a more authentic sound for the song at least.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
and yet in your sig, it says "Crate GT65....... lame." which tells me you're not happy with your amp.

with that said, the tone in question is more technique than tone - just use a clean setting, bash the guitar with your picking hand whilst muting the strings you don't want with your fretting hand while you fret the strings for the notes you do want. i think that's how it's done anyway - that's how i've seen people play it - the people who got a more authentic sound for the song at least.

+1, I use my fretting index finger to lightly mute what ever strings I dont want to sound and my fretting middle + pinkie to hit the notes I do want to sound. Just alternate strum with the picking hand. Sounds spot on. Froosh plays it a little differently, he uses his thumb and index to mute, and frets with his index and ring, all the while alt strumming (i think, looks that way atleast).

EDIT: fixed.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 22, 2009,