Hey I'm new to this site and have been playing guitar for a few months and was wondering if I could have a few questions about some guitars answered. First off my current guitar is a Behringer that I bought in a value pack with an amp for 50$. When I bought it I knew it wasn't a great guitar but I mainly got it to see if I would like playing. The guitar is very cheaply made and uncomfortable. Since then Ive upgraded my amp to a Line 6 Spider III. I really want to get a new guitar in the near future within the <400$ range. But I want one that I won't need to upgrade from in another year.
These are the guitars I've had my eye on:
Epiphone Goth 1958 Explorer: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Goth-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar-517235-i1149244.gc?sort=5
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS30RR-Rhoads-Electric-Guitar-520306-i1445400.gc
Jackson JS30KE Kelly: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS30KE-Kelly-Electric-Guitar-520303-i1445395.gc

Right now I'm leaning toward the Epiphone Goth Explorer because I've heard good things about it and I'm a fan of the explorer style. Any of you have any experience with it?
And as far as the Jackson Rhoads, I'd heard they were good but that the shape was very awkward to play sitting down?
And how does the Jackson Kelly compare to either of the other two?
I have no way to try any of these guitars as guitar center never seems to have them at the store. I'd really appreciate it if some of you would share your experiences/knowledge about these guitars or suggest some other good ones in that price range. And by the way I want to play metal, hard rock, and anything with a heavier sound to it. Thanks in advance guys!
from those, i'd pick the epiphone. but you really shouldn't have gotten that line 6. It's severely looked down on this site because of its very digital sounding tone. you should try selling it and buy a roland cube or a Peavey Vypyr. they're so much better sounding than the Spider 3's.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I would go for the jacksons. Jackson are really go quality and sound great. I have heard some things about the epip but I have heard bad.

Edit: Don't listen to them about your amp. Its fine. In the future you will want a new one but keep that one. Just because someone says its bad doesnt mean its bad. I'll bet they have never played one and are on the "bandwagon"

Edit2: The sitting down with the rhoads is no problem. People don't know what there talking about and have never played a rhoads.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Last edited by King of King V at Jul 21, 2009,
the epiphone is probably your best bet. I used to own a Rhoads V, and yea, they're not the most comfortable guitars out there.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Really? I like my amp pretty well. How is the Epiphone for sitting down playing? Some say it feels completely fine and some say its horrible. As far as these guitars go I've had trouble with getting much info on them because at guitar center the response to every question is "Ehhh might as well get a Gibson" which doesn't help me at all. The Rhoads seems nice cause its cheaper then the others and i do like its fierce shape, but is it a good guitar as far as quality compared to the other two?
Last edited by Quaakeee at Jul 21, 2009,
the amp will sound fine for a while, but let me guess, you didnt try any other amps out, have you? you should really go to a music store and try out many different amps in the same price range and you'll see that there's better amps than the spiders for the same price (vypyrs, cubes, Vox ADxxVT's)
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Yeah I actually did try out other amps. I tried out the Vox I believe and I think a Peavy. But they cost way more then the Spider III. and at the store I was at the were a hundered dollars more AND the Spider was on sale for 50$. Later down the road i might upgrade but right now its fine with me. Im mainly worried about a guitar because my current one is just horrible.