Page 1 of 2
Who has the best blues tone in your opinion?
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
I wish I could even get somewhat of a blues tone with that spankyness to it. I mostly play metal but ive been listening to a lot of john mayer and stuff lately and I think I have the totally wrong gear for it, not to mention my bugera 333 sucks dick.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I love SRV and john mayer's tones.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
i second mayer and his freaking expensive two rock

i also like gary moore's tone. its just to howling and mournful.
BB King, SRV, and Bluesbreakers-era Clapton, and maybe Billy Gibbons' tone from the Tres Hombres era of ZZ top.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Luxifer
i second mayer and his freaking expensive two rock

i also like gary moore's tone. its just to howling and mournful.

No love for stevie's dumble?

I like albert king's tone a lot, along with robert cray
Quote by al112987
This. Hands down. No comparison.

well, except maybe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_cixaPHbA

Yeah, that's right up there.

I prefer Clapton's more saturated tone though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
A lot of people would probably find Page's tone harsh and muddy in that vid, but I think it's awesome, especially during the solo. Pure '59 PAF goodness.

Though Clapton's tone on Double Crossing Time from Beano is the epitome of les paul tone imo.
Clapton from the Bluesbreakers to the present has always had a great sound. I just saw him live with Steve Winwood and it sounded amazing.
After experiencing most of those tones live at Crossroads, it's so hard to say. As much as I loooove John Mayer's sound, I'm gonna be different here and say Buddy Guy.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I hate more blues sounds than like blues sounds.

I should rephrase; I hate most of the blues sounds that are popular around these and other boards. I've grown severely tired of Stevie Ray's tone (though it's still good), I hate John Mayer in every way, shape and form, can't stand post-cream Clapton, Can't stomach Gary moore.

That aside, I like Hound Dog Taylor's tone, as well as Clapton's live-cream tone, along with Hubert Sumlin's tone, Dan Auebach's tone, Harvey Mandel/Henry Vestine (Canned Heat), and a lot of others.
I really like Johnny Winter. He has a very unique style of playing the Blues, and his slide-guitar work is very, very impressive.

As for the "Best Blues Tone" I think that would be subjective, as there really isn't any way to tell who has the "Best" tone.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
John Mayer is high up there, yet nowhere near SRV... but my kind of blues is dirtier and meaner... so ill say Jack White, why? because you can tell its him playing by just 1 note...

EDIT!: ****!! i forgot Zappa...
Last edited by just17n8 at Jul 22, 2009,
SRV definatly
If u want his tone I sugest his ghost jizzing in ur guitar
My Guitars-
ESP LTD EC-1000 (my big papa axe)
Mexican Fender Stratocaster (my blues baby)
Laguna le 122 (hunk of crap)

Amp-
Peavey Vypyr 75

Pedal-
Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
Quote by just17n8
John Mayer is high up there, yet nowhere near SRV... but my kind of blues is dirtier and meaner... so ill say Jack White, why? because you can tell its him playing by just 1 note...

EDIT!: ****!! i forgot Zappa...

How'd I forget Jack White? Good call! I love his dirty, raw sound. He actually understand what it's like to have so much overdrive that you need to fight for a clear note. That's where you hit the sweet spot.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
How'd I forget Jack White? Good call! I love his dirty, raw sound. He actually understand what it's like to have so much overdrive that you need to fight for a clear note. That's where you hit the sweet spot.

exactly!... somewhere in between all the distortion there are this awesome phrases and pain in his playing... its really unique
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimi Hendrix
John Mayer
B.B. King
Eric Clapton

In no particular order
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
eric clapton, and i really like the edges tones even tho he doesnt rally play that much blues per say, and john mayer
SRV and Billy Gibbons the best by far, maybe Hendrix up there too.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
John Mayer wants to be Stevie Ray so bad its not even funny. I have no respect for mayer. Stevie did what he did without ever having to go pop. Dereck Trucks is a much better guitar player than Mayer and doesnt get half the respect. "Your body is a wonderland" "I wanna run through the halls of my high school" come on! If I never heard his cheasy pop music I might actually like him but he keeps putting that crap out.
Quote by ihaveatail
I love White's sound as well! Especially in the Raconteurs(sp?) Hendrix has some pretty sweet tones as well, although there are some songs where it's just not to die for...
I also love the twangy sound you get from an acoustic electric sometimes ( no like a strat.) Like that guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXkOW-Y_9c&feature=channel

Thanks, I enjoyed that.
Quote by RunawayKaren
Kirk Hammett

lol

John Mayall or Jeff Beck.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by wka82
John Mayer wants to be Stevie Ray so bad its not even funny. I have no respect for mayer. Stevie did what he did without ever having to go pop. Dereck Trucks is a much better guitar player than Mayer and doesnt get half the respect. "Your body is a wonderland" "I wanna run through the halls of my high school" come on! If I never heard his cheasy pop music I might actually like him but he keeps putting that crap out.
agreed I hate John Mayer and I don't like his tone either. Nor do I like Robben Ford or Larry Carlton's.
I like Jeff beck. I tell ya Jeff Healy had a damn good sound too! Not to mention he was blind. There is a great video of him and Stevie Ray playing together on Youtube.
Page 1 of 2