As a guitarist how do you decide what notes to play when you harmonize guitars like how a7x does. I just dont get how they decide what notes to use so can somebody help me?
i dont listen to them because i hate them but, you just play 2, 4, etc. notes up on the scale that you're using

i.e. someone would be playing the root note and someone else plays a 3rd, 5th, etc.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Jul 21, 2009,
depends on what youre playing. you could play at a straight interval harmony, ie, notes are ALWAYS a fifth or ALWAYS a major 3rd away, etc. or you could try modes, play a melody on guitar one and transpose that into a different key for guitar two to play over.

remember that the melodies dont need to match stepwise, ie one can go up while the otehr goes down, one can stay the same when the other changes, etc.

most important, play what sounds good to you, dont rely on theory alone. its a tool, not law.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
there's a lesson on this if you want to go read it. thirds are popular. every note the other guitar plays you just play 3 notes up in that scale.
A guitarist told me its the 5th note. For example. If ur doings a D note 5 up from that would be. (a,b,c,d,e,f,g out of all those notes if u count five up u will get ur harmony btw it restarts one u get to G so if its d then it be b because five notes up from that is E,f,g,a,b. B is ur harmony to D, Make sence? Like in after life one guitarist place 8 on the b string which is g and five notes up from that is e which is five notes up. Thats the first note to after life btw.
Quote by SinisterShadows
As a guitarist how do you decide what notes to play when you harmonize guitars like how a7x does. I just dont get how they decide what notes to use so can somebody help me?

You both play different notes of the same scale - to harmonize you first need to understand scales though so read about those first. Diatonic thirds is probably the most common way to do it and arguably the easiest way to get an interesting souding harmony. However there's no point worrying about learning to harmonize before you know the basics.

Josh Urbans Crusade articles in the Columns section are a good place to start.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 22, 2009,
3rd's and 5th's are pretty popular.

But hell, you can go to 7th, 9th,and 11th. It's all a matter of what sound you want.

Play it out on a piano, then transpose it.
I find that composing music on a piano is easiest, because you can actually visualize it.
TC should study some of the songs from At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours. They have alot of very interesting harmony and counterpoint on that album.
write a melody... the harmony (in the most common case) is just 3 notes above that in the scale. or i guess you could play the corresponding notes in the relative major/minor (i think that's the same thing...?)
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by mcr tabs
A guitarist told me its the 5th note. For example. If ur doings a D note 5 up from that would be. (a,b,c,d,e,f,g out of all those notes if u count five up u will get ur harmony btw it restarts one u get to G so if its d then it be b because five notes up from that is E,f,g,a,b. B is ur harmony to D, Make sence? Like in after life one guitarist place 8 on the b string which is g and five notes up from that is e which is five notes up. Thats the first note to after life btw.

That won't always work. Some notes are a whole step and some are a half. and you explained that in a very confusing way.

Just go up a scale to a third or fifth.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
That won't always work. Some notes are a whole step and some are a half. and you explained that in a very confusing way.

Just go up a scale to a third or fifth.

yea
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.