Hey I'm a starting guitar player and I was looking for a better sound out of my guitar. I play a Jackson warrior with Duncan Designed pickups though a line 6 spider III. I find my tone not to be "hot" or really dynamic. To get a better sound should I look at getting better pickups, or a new amp? (or both :S)

I'm not really ready to start gigging and don't have a band but I'm going to university next year and are looking to start one.

BTW I mostly play metal, but not death or anything that hard, just mostly NWOBHM, early thrash and sometimes stuff like Van Halen and ACDC

Thanks for any help!!!
for what you described, i'd look into a peavey valveking or something along those lines.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by iheartmy7
for what you described, i'd look into a peavey valveking or something along those lines.

Actually I think a Windsor would suit him better than a VK.
valveking or maybe a bugera would work nicely, assuming you want to go used. Theres not a whole lot to get new at that point

edit: oh yeah the windsor is pretty hyped up for your genres, I'd check it out, none of my local stores have one=(
Last edited by kurtebirdi at Jul 21, 2009,
Hahaha I looked on my local ads site for guitar amps and the first thing that pops up is the
Peavey Windsor All Tube Guitar Amp for $350!! I'll see what I can do to try and get my hands on it!!
Amp I have the same amp I hate it lol my old guitar teacher said it was a good amp what an idiot.

I like Marshells so I suggest that and see what tone you like for pickups if you have some money but if you don't have much just the amp.
Quote by ColinMc

I like Marshells so I suggest that and see what tone you like for pickups if you have some money but if you don't have much just the amp.

For the budget I think he has, I'm doubtful he'd find a Marshall that's any good...

The Windsor would be ideal for what you want, it's a Marshall JCM 800 clone and can be modded to original JCM 800 2204 specs with less than 10 dollars in parts if you really want. Keep in mind, though, you're going to need to play with your guitar's volume knob if you want cleans...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Shred-Hed
I hate Duncan Designed, but I hate the Spider III more, lol.

Duncan Designed arnt that bad in the bridge, FOR A $25 PICKUP. now I absolutely hate the neck models Ive tried, but my guitar used to have some Detonators (Invader copy) in it and the bridge was great, once again, this is a $25 pickup, its not like Im comparing it to Bareknuckles or anything.

TS, I recommend a B52 or Valveking if you're wanting to go tube. Cube or Vypyr if you're staying in the solid state practice amp zone.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 22, 2009,
"hot" and dynamic 't generally two words I'd put together when describing tone. :]

But if you're looking for more dynamics in your tune, a tube amp should help - then maybe a pickup upgrade.
Why does everyone on UG suddenly think pickups are so damn important? Who started this?

The new Bugera 1990 would work perfectly, and it's outrageously cheap ($450). Throw on a 2x12 or 1x12 widebody cab and you've got a great rig there.
Yea before I buy anything I want to try and test it out first so I'll see what suits me the best
Quote by Jam3V
Pickups are very important. I've put a number of pickups in my guitar and the differences are significant.

Of course, but that's not the case when you're a 15-year-old with a 10W Squier practice amp...but they seem to have got the impression it's going to do wonders for their tone!
Yeah, in that case you're right.

But this guy is considering upgrading his amp. If he does, and gets something half decent, pickups will be "damn important." So your comment might be a bit misleading to the TS.

Just sayin...