My band and I are doing a jam. We are playing in the key of A and I am soloing over it. What scales can I use? I so far am using the A minor Penta Tonic scale in all the different positions. But what other scales can I use?
Thanks
depends on what feeling the music has. id say Am Pentatonic should suffice, try throwing in ssome notes from the blues scale, you can always use notes from a major or minor scale if you want.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
alrighgt bro i get ur key. but thiers 7 modesa to choice from. Iodian dorian phygiandan lydian mixolidon aeolien locrain. Im pretty sure i didnt spell most of thoose right but idc Lydians that happiest upeat then iondian 2nd happiest mixolydians right in the middle dorian is and middle aerolien is classical warm blues rock type phrygian is dark classical mental and locrain is very dark find which mode u are doing and use that scale to make ur solo. The way u do that ur scale and do it over and over again all over ur fret board and start over and each rootnote. Go by the whole whole half pattern from the rootnot and pick notes out of all the notes u created on a fret board and out of thoise pick ur solo. btw use a paper to write down all ur notes haha.
We are doing an improvisation at a gig on Saturday and I was just using the minor pentatonic in all the positions. I don't really know which mode I'm playing in. We are all just making it up. And also for the Minor and Major scales are there more than one position for it like in the minor pentatonics or is it just in that one area?
Thanks
Quote by mcr tabs
alrighgt bro i get ur key. but thiers 7 modesa to choice from. Iodian dorian phygiandan lydian mixolidon aeolien locrain. Im pretty sure i didnt spell most of thoose right but idc Lydians that happiest upeat then iondian 2nd happiest mixolydians right in the middle dorian is and middle aerolien is classical warm blues rock type phrygian is dark classical mental and locrain is very dark find which mode u are doing and use that scale to make ur solo. The way u do that ur scale and do it over and over again all over ur fret board and start over and each rootnote. Go by the whole whole half pattern from the rootnot and pick notes out of all the notes u created on a fret board and out of thoise pick ur solo. btw use a paper to write down all ur notes haha.

This is the reason people get confused about modes. Please don't talk about modes if you have no idea what you're talking about.

TS: Easy way to find what scale to use - If your progression is an A major.... Use the A major scale. If your progression is in A minor... Use the A minor scale. Along with scales, feel free to throw in accidentals, there are no wrong notes! The best part about this strategy is... If you hit a note you don't like, the right one is almost always just a fret away. This strategy works for all keys and will work for an overwhelming majority of the music you'll ever play.
Quote by timeconsumer09
This is the reason people get confused about modes. Please don't talk about modes if you have no idea what you're talking about.

TS: Easy way to find what scale to use - If your progression is an A major.... Use the A major scale. If your progression is in A minor... Use the A minor scale. Along with scales, feel free to throw in accidentals, there are no wrong notes! The best part about this strategy is... If you hit a note you don't like, the right one is almost always just a fret away. This strategy works for all keys and will work for an overwhelming majority of the music you'll ever play.

theres nothing really wrong with using modes in that way. lots of players mix different modes into songs that are not modal progressions.
If youre playing in the key of A, play the F#m pentatonic, the Am pentatonic is used in the key of C.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
theres nothing really wrong with using modes in that way. lots of players mix different modes into songs that are not modal progressions.

No, that's called using accidentals and pretending to use modes. You can't play all the modes over the same progression. Playing a #4 DOES NOT mean you're playing lydian. Playing a b2 DOES NOT mean you're playing phrygian. Playing a b7 DOES NOT mean you're playing mixolydian. Etc., etc. Now, if the chords imply a mode (say, your next chord is an Amaj7#11), then you could consider using a mode over that. Of course, you could also just think of it as an accidental.

If youre playing in the key of A, play the F#m pentatonic, the Am pentatonic is used in the key of C.

No, if you're playing in the key of A, play the A pentatonic. Am pentatonic is used for Am. C pentatonic is used for C.
Quote by Splagl
My band and I are doing a jam. We are playing in the key of A and I am soloing over it. What scales can I use? I so far am using the A minor Penta Tonic scale in all the different positions. But what other scales can I use?
Thanks

A minor and C major for sure... You can probably throw some diminished stuff in there if it allows for the use of the harmonic minor scale anywhere, but I don't speak musicanese well enough to explain that.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Yes
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Splagl
Are there different positions for the A minor scales?

there are 7, aren't there?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Splagl
Are there different positions for the A minor scales?
A minor is comprised of the notes A B C D E F G and you can play the scale anywhere on the neck you can find those notes.

If you know your minor pentatonic well all over the neck, remember the pentatonic is just the minor scale with the 2nd and 6th scale degrees omitted - put those notes back in (that would be B and F for A minor) and you can play the minor scale all over the neck too.