Hey guys, lately I've been recording with my Boogie Roadster in my "Studio" if you will in my house and I've been turning up about half way to get that roar. It's awesome and sounds great but that roar makes my neighbors mad.

I guess what I'm wondering is if a attenuator would be good in my situation. I don't play anything high gain, I just like to get that huge sound from a high volume, because it sounds weak when it's low.

Would an attenuator make it sound huge still at a low volume? Thanks for responses in advance, and Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
try this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator-101243475-i1145573.gc

should be just what youre looking for.

also, screw your neighbors, crank it up =)
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
If I were to get one, I think I would get the Weber, I've heard from different sources that they prefer them and they are a lot cheaper.

But I'm just wondering if it will help me out in my situation.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

It's hard to say. If you just want to shave a few dbs off the top then it ought to work alright, anything more and you'll likely kill the tone more than helping it.

You also need to keep in mind you'll lose the sound of pushed speakers, which is a pretty large factor in the tone, depending on how hard you're actually pushing the speakers.

Also, sometimes the simple act of playing louder, and not necessarily pushing the tubes harder, sound better.

If you're seriously considering this I'd look for a cheaper SS power amp (crate powerblock works great, is small, and can be found for 100 bucks used) and a build/buy a load box and run a reamping rig.

Reamping: You run your amp into a load box of some sort (in lieu of the speakers) with a line out, some attenuators have line outs and many companies make dedicated load boxes for this and other purposes.

You then run that line out to the input of the SS amp which you then drives the speakers. You basically use the SS amp as a master over the entire tube amp, meaning you can dial the tube amp in at whatever volume sounds best and control the final output with the SS power amp.

Sounds crazy, but you can get minimal tone loss even at very quiet volumes. Though you'll still miss out on the sound of pushed speakers, though that isn't always a factor.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
It's hard to say. If you just want to shave a few dbs off the top then it ought to work alright, anything more and you'll likely kill the tone more than helping it.

You also need to keep in mind you'll lose the sound of pushed speakers, which is a pretty large factor in the tone, depending on how hard you're actually pushing the speakers.

Also, sometimes the simple act of playing louder, and not necessarily pushing the tubes harder, sound better.

If you're seriously considering this I'd look for a cheaper SS power amp (crate powerblock works great, is small, and can be found for 100 bucks used) and a build/buy a load box and run a reamping rig.

Reamping: You run your amp into a load box of some sort (in lieu of the speakers) with a line out, some attenuators have line outs and many companies make dedicated load boxes for this and other purposes.

You then run that line out to the input of the SS amp which you then drives the speakers. You basically use the SS amp as a master over the entire tube amp, meaning you can dial the tube amp in at whatever volume sounds best and control the final output with the SS power amp.

Sounds crazy, but you can get minimal tone loss even at very quiet volumes. Though you'll still miss out on the sound of pushed speakers, though that isn't always a factor.

Meh I think you are right, it's the pushed speaker tone I'm after.

Quote by kyle62
An isolation cab would be a much better option:

An Axetrak, for example, is about $400 while an attenuator costs between $200 - $400.

Won't that sound like ****?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Won't that sound like ****?

Why? The mic is inside it, it's not like you're supposed to stick a mic against the carpet on the outside

It's only a six-inch speaker, so it's a little on the bright side, but sounds pretty decent to me.
Quote by kyle62
Why? The mic is inside it, it's not like you're supposed to stick a mic against the carpet on the outside

It's only a six-inch speaker, so it's a little on the bright side, but sounds pretty decent to me.

It just seems like the acoustics would be all kinds of ****ed up in a tiny box.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by kyle62
An isolation cab would be a much better option:

An Axetrak, for example, is about $400 while an attenuator costs between $200 - $400.

You could build a reamping rig for 200 bucks easy and be able to use your own speakers.

Pretty much all of ted weber's attenuators are less than 200 bucks as well.
How about you just crank your amp and not worry about your neighbors?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
How about you just crank your amp and not worry about your neighbors?

Way to be completely useless.

Good luck TS
Quote by Kevin Saale
You could build a reamping rig for 200 bucks easy and be able to use your own speakers.

Pretty much all of ted weber's attenuators are less than 200 bucks as well.

Was thinking that, and they're some of the best attenuators on the market. But it'll only get rid of 2-4dB, tops, before it starts to affect the tone.
You'd be better off with this.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-Isolation-12-Speaker-Cab?sku=480371

I've tried it in my friends studio. Works phenomenal. 12" V30 (can be replaced i suppose) But you can really crank it too.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kyle62
Was thinking that, and they're some of the best attenuators on the market. But it'll only get rid of 2-4dB, tops, before it starts to affect the tone.

How perfect are we trying to be here? I can my amp down quite a bit before the tone loss defeats having the amp cranked. It's still too loud at those volumes for me (which is why I reamp), but if the only thing the guy is worried about is not bothering the neighbors it could work. Unless hes in an apartment or something.