I'm a guitarist for a progressive metal/metalcore band and it seems like no matter how I set up my equipment it turns out sounding like crap.
I can get a good sound when my volume is reasonably quite, but once i turn it up it sounds horrid.

my current setup includes:

ESP MH-401 Floyd Rose (with EMG 81/85)
into a line 6 POD XT live
into a peavey valveking halfstack (100 watt head, 412 cab)

I am really begining to hate my POD and am thinking about getting some new pedals but am not sure what i should get or how i should go about running it all.

If i had to choose a sound i am going for i would have to say Parkway Drive, August Burns Red, or old Bring Me the Horizon.

Please help me!!
All I can think of is that you're getting gain from the amp and the POD. When low volume, the amp won't distort. If you turn it up, the tubes will give gain too along with the POD. Make sure you have any gain settings down all the way on the clean channel. (IDK the valveking that much)

EDIT: IDK if ur using the POD for pre-amps? I guess my suggestion is only if you are.
Quote by KingJustinian25
All I can think of is that you're getting gain from the amp and the POD. When low volume, the amp won't distort. If you turn it up, the tubes will give gain too along with the POD. Make sure you have any gain settings down all the way on the clean channel. (IDK the valveking that much)

EDIT: IDK if ur using the POD for pre-amps? I guess my suggestion is only if you are.

My valveking doesnt have a gain control for the clean channel only on the lead.
So pretty much im using the clean channel on my valveking and getting all my distortion from my POD
If you're going to want metal from a VK you're going to need an EQ in the loop and a Bad Monkey in front. Try to sell the cab too; the Valveking speakers aren't great.

Try and get an Avatar 2x12 or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
PODs dont usually work well through amps. I would recommend getting an overdrive pedal (tube screamer or maxon) to boost the gain channel on your amp instead.
You Would Have Better Luck Running The Pod Through A Power Amp, Not The Peavey Head. I Know A Guy Who Runs This Setup In Stereo And It Sounds Awesome. Loud!
thin slice o skin
Thank you all for your replies. I have been looking into overdrive pedals but im not entirely sure how they work.
I know you have to be on your amps lead channel to use them
and we have parts in our songs that go from distorted to clean rather fast so how could you go about switching quickly?
if you are using the pod as your pre amp and distortion plug it into the effects return loop and run your input through the pod input. This bypasses the amps onboard pre amp so no additonal coloring is given. so now you have a pod pre amp and a tube power amp

this should sound 10x better imo. i run a multi fx sometimes through my jsx on the return and get a great sound. better than running it dry into the jsx
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
if you are using the pod as your pre amp and distortion plug it into the effects return loop and run your input through the pod input. This bypasses the amps onboard pre amp so no additonal coloring is given. so now you have a pod pre amp and a tube power amp

this should sound 10x better imo. i run a multi fx sometimes through my jsx on the return and get a great sound. better than running it dry into the jsx

Thanks ill try this out today