Could this work? Would it sound good? And are there flat wound guitar strings in lighter string guages like 9-48?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
I did this once, the strings have a really mellow, warm tone. You may have to do some extensive EQing but I don't see why not.

And I don't know about what gague you can get them in.
No, flat wound strings are too muddy for metal, except maybe sludge/stoner metal. They're mostly used in jazz, which is one of the reasons you only see them in fat sizes. They're big fat jazz strings.

I've tried doing metal with them.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jul 22, 2009,
Just out of curiosity, would 14 guage strings be thick enough for A standard tuning?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Ok, forget the 14 gauge thing, what gauge would be good for A standard?

edit: the heaviest i can find are 13-56, would that work?
Quote by webbtje
Last edited by skwelcher at Jul 22, 2009,
Never seem flat wound strings in light ga. The guys who use em only buy the thick ga , 12 and up, so theres no market for light ga in those style. If your drop tuning yes 12 or 13 would work all you can do is try em and see if you like the tone. One thing you get from flat wound is you wont hear your fingers sliding on the strings between chords.
Quote by Tackleberry
Never seem flat wound strings in light ga. The guys who use em only buy the thick ga , 12 and up, so theres no market for light ga in those style. If your drop tuning yes 12 or 13 would work all you can do is try em and see if you like the tone. One thing you get from flat wound is you wont hear your fingers sliding on the strings between chords.

No fret noise when sliding? Thats good enough for me! Do you think 13-56 is thick enough for A standard or even F standard?(down tuned, not up) would a tuning that low be bad for your amp?
Quote by webbtje
Dude, flat wounds and F standard? Your cabinet is going to actually throw waves of mud your way..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Well I doubt flatwounds would be good for metal. They are EXTREMELY mellow in tone. If you want to play that low, doing metal there will be close to no attack. The notes will probably just "sludge" together into an incoherent mess...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Of course it's all just opinion, but I've never heard a good metal tone with flat wounds. You can get some decent alt rock type tones from them but I don't see anyone being too happy with a metal tone using flat wounds.
The strings used by most jazz guys chromes, flat wounds etc are not bright at all. And may be to muddy in such low tunings. But there are other flat wounds/ground out there. GHS has "brite flats" alloy 52 pretty much a regular string ground flat so shouldnt be so dark they come in 9-12 ga. And GHS has "precision flatwound" which are stainless, adds brightness but hard on nickel frets, in 9-13 ga. I looked at em at one time but the price put me off, the quiet slides wasnt a big enough deal to justify the price. A regular set of GHS boomers are 4-5$ a set can be found at any music store, 12ga "brite flats" are close to 11$ not easy to find or very limited selection probably best to get em off the net. Figure the same price on the "precision" strings again not easy to find, they even have a set of 15ga in those series. Flat winding is more complicated and grinding flat drives the cost up vs regular round wound. Dig up a set or 2 and see if you like em never hurts to try. You dont like em oh well at least you know. Ive tried stainless, nickel, coated, and regular strings in various ga and many of the brands. Ill use d'darrios but prefer GHS now. Good luck!
I've played a set of 10-48 flats before.. They had a wound G though; I haven't seen a set of flats without a wound G.

The flat wound sound doesn't lend itself to "modern" rock styles; they're very "thuddy" on the OD channel and very "clunky" on the clean channel with a solidbody. If you want it to work you're going to have to think very hard about the equipment you choose; and how you arrange your music to make it sound decent..

Why not try roller wound first?

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Tackleberry
The strings used by most jazz guys chromes, flat wounds etc are not bright at all. And may be to muddy in such low tunings. But there are other flat wounds/ground out there. GHS has "brite flats" alloy 52 pretty much a regular string ground flat so shouldnt be so dark they come in 9-12 ga. And GHS has "precision flatwound" which are stainless, adds brightness but hard on nickel frets, in 9-13 ga. I looked at em at one time but the price put me off, the quiet slides wasnt a big enough deal to justify the price. A regular set of GHS boomers are 4-5$ a set can be found at any music store, 12ga "brite flats" are close to 11$ not easy to find or very limited selection probably best to get em off the net. Figure the same price on the "precision" strings again not easy to find, they even have a set of 15ga in those series. Flat winding is more complicated and grinding flat drives the cost up vs regular round wound. Dig up a set or 2 and see if you like em never hurts to try. You dont like em oh well at least you know. Ive tried stainless, nickel, coated, and regular strings in various ga and many of the brands. Ill use d'darrios but prefer GHS now. Good luck!

Thanks man, im gonna get some of those ghs brite flat wounds in the 9-42 gauge set from juststrings. Anyone know if juststrings is a good place to order from? I mean these are only $7 a pack, it costs that much for a pack of regular strings locally. And on top of that, even i dont like the way they sound for metal, i've been wanting to try my hands at the blues.
Quote by webbtje
Ive bought from em before. They do have a much larger selection than MF, GC etc strings you wont find hanging in music stores due to low demand. You do need to order a decent amount of strings a single set isnt economical w shipping. Maybe get your friends to go in with you on an order.