Hi guys!

I'm looking for a second guitar and I absolutely love the looks of Ibanez hollowbodys (AF75/AK95). I've buried the plan of getting a semi-hollowbody, I'd like to get something different and special - there aren't many full hollowbodys around, at least in Estonia. I'd like to tune down my LTD for old-school metal (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest etc) and use the hollowbody for "softer music". I've never played a full hollowbody before (cos' I haven't found any in local shops), so please give me some advice. It's meant for jazz like Django Reinhardt and Elvis used the Gibson ES-175. I like jazz and rock'n'roll and play this kind of music quite a lot but is this guitar good for Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Whitesnake, Dio? I know that full hollowbodys tend to feedback but will it manage that kind of music? If anybody has some experience with hollowbodys, please let me know.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eu/products/Left-Handed/EG/AK95L_DVS.html
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eu/products/Left-Handed/EG/AF75L_BS.html

Best wishes,
Uku
Last edited by UkuK at Jul 22, 2009,
A lefty?!? And you expect us to help you?!?
Haha, just kidding.
You can pull off classic rock on a hollow body, but I'd say hard rock was pushing it a bit.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Call me crazy, but I HAVE seen a heavy metal band guitarist use a semi-hollow body guitar. I'm pretty sure it was Schecter Corsair.

Schecters pretty much breathe and vibrate metal... to some extent.

Though I don't have experience with a semi-hollowbody, I know they give a more mellow tone and Grestch guitars give a twangy sound, best for rockabilly and country tones, but that doesn't mean you can't go and play some punk rock with it.

They aren't madeee for hard rock, but you can set it up for that.
maybe an epiphone dot? dont let the low price deceive you, theyre actually really really good. if you can get your hands on a lefty one in estonia, i would reccomend it

edit: oh, forgot about gretsch. if you want it to do "hard rock" you could switch out the pickups so they can handle more distortion
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Last edited by spiderjerusalem at Jul 22, 2009,
Do it man. You can play whatever you want, on whatever you want. Seriously, it will still sound like you whether it's an ESP EC-1000, or a Fender Strat.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I actually rather enjoy the sound of Hollowbodies in rock music.

Plus you just can't go wrong with a guitar as sexy looking as a hollowbody.
The prime example of a hollowbody guitar in rock that comes to mind is Alex Lifeson of Rush. He always had a very good tone, although that had more to do with his amp choices.

If I remember correctly, he used to use an old white ES-335 extensively before switching back to Les Pauls.

Another hollowbody user would be Steve Howe, who used the guitar you're interested in the ES-175, but if memory is any indication, he never played with a heavily distorted tone...
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
its definitely possible, probably more practical for rhythm though but im sure you can do leads on it
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I have an epiphone dot, it's really great.
Now I only use it for acoustic and clean stuff, but I was even using it for metal at one point. It's a great guitar. Stays in tune for as long as you leave the strings on too
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Thanks for the reply's. Actually I wanted to hear about full hollowbody's, i've played semi hollowbody's like Epiphone Dot and they sound great (for even old-school metal). But Ted Nugent has a Gibson ES-175, how the hell doesn't his guitar feedback while doing Stranglehold?? That's a mistery to me.

As I have read, it's problaby more reasonable to buy a semi hollowbody for it's versatility. If I'm going to be a bad ass Jazz guitarist in the future, then I'll watch full hollowbodys

So I'll stick with the semi-hollowbody plan. Don't have money for Sheraton (525 EUR), AS73 (365 EUR) is quite ugly in my opinion (although quality is great), so I'll stick with Epiphone Dot (333 EUR)!

Best wishes,
Uku
Dallas Green uses a hollowbody, and the singer from Silversun Pickups. Both get really good & versatile tones, afaik.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Wes Borland also uses a semi acoustic guitar for metal. Check out the video of him doing a demo of his sig guitar.

as 2 UkuK, good choice with the Dot. It's a great guitar and won't let you down. In my opinion it's a low price for a quality build that's beats some of the high end guitars I've played
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
I think Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters used a hollow body, it may be semi hollow, but they have some heavy stuff, so you should be able to pull of some hard rock.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Izzy stradlin' recorded most of the appetite for destruction album on a gibson hollowbody.

I would say Welcome to the Jungle is pretty hard.
but i'm also sure he swapped the stock pups out.
Kings of Leons older albums had some really good rock tones coming out of their semis.

Nowdays...not so much.
to redice feedback you can stuff foam(or even socks) into the soundholes
my dot handles classic rock pretty good
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Tyranus-3121
to redice feedback you can stuff foam(or even socks) into the soundholes
my dot handles classic rock pretty good

+1 to the dot
not so sure about the socks.
Play everything from RATM to Blind Melon with my Dot. Best $400 i ever spend.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
I agree with a Dot but also check out the Epi Sheraton. Its got a wood block mass in the middle so it has increased sustain, and may work a little better.. I think.
Ive would take a look at the Hagström guitars, awsome hollowbodies for a great price.

Epiphone Sheraton looks awsome too
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Quote by nickdohle
I agree with a Dot but also check out the Epi Sheraton. Its got a wood block mass in the middle so it has increased sustain, and may work a little better.. I think.

yeah the dot is blocked too. the sustain in it is incredible
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by Zapher
Ive would take a look at the Hagström guitars, awsome hollowbodies for a great price.

Epiphone Sheraton looks awsome too

I've checked Hagströms, they look drop-dead gorgeus and sound great. Viking II is 419 EUR but it has basswood body. So i'm a bit worried about the sound. But they say that quality is superb, at the same time Epiphone's tend to have quite many problems.

http://www.musicworldbrilon.de/images/product_images/popup_images/246503.jpg

Quite sexy, I like the headstock and the beautiful finish
Last edited by UkuK at Jul 25, 2009,
Basswood is used on guitars of all price ranges, so there's nothing wrong with it. The quality of the wood varies, but you can trust Hagstrom for good materials.

Also, if it makes any difference, Izzy Stradlin' from Guns and Roses played a hollowbody guitar for a while. I think it was an ES-175.