Just need some advice.

I can do it semi-okay on about 4 strings, going up.

I aim to get the Friedman solos down in Holy Wars. One of my personal goals.
Any advice?
its really hard to do, but start sweeping slowly and cleanly and build up...way harder than it sounds
I guess it's more of the timing issue. I can move my fingers fast enough, just can't get the string sweep right.
I assume that's like the biggest issue in sweeping.

Do you know any moderate sweeps that I can start out with?
I don't wanna rush into Friedman, he's a bitch when it comes to sweeping, haah.
Friedman is difficult.
Here, try some of Paul Waggoner's "Easy Street" sweeps. hehe...

I'll admit the Holy Wars/Punishment Due solo sweeps are difficult. It's tough to get them down as cleanly as Friedman, but he's been at it for years.

You're best hope is to learn proper technique and start off slow. You'll need a lot of disciple and a very harsh judgement of your playing. If you don't feel like you can improve, then you have failed as a guitarist and a musician.
Quote by huevos
Friedman is difficult.
Here, try some of Paul Waggoner's "Easy Street" sweeps. hehe...

I'll admit the Holy Wars/Punishment Due solo sweeps are difficult. It's tough to get them down as cleanly as Friedman, but he's been at it for years.

You're best hope is to learn proper technique and start off slow. You'll need a lot of disciple and a very harsh judgement of your playing. If you don't feel like you can improve, then you have failed as a guitarist and a musician.

jesus..your judgement isnt harsh, its brutal :O
Check out this this thread for the full description of the technique: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796

Check this one out for songs to play: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091788

If you want a fairly easy sweeping song to do, try Turn Soonest to Sea by Protest the Hero. 5 string sweeping eighth notes at about 210 - 220 BPM.

Once you get faster, you can try some more 5 string sweeps with Selkies The Endless Obsession by Between The Buried And Me. Triplet-sixteenths at around 90 - 100 BPM.
Last edited by Dregen at Jul 22, 2009,