I picked up my bass about a week ago, and I must say I love this instrument.

I've been using the wonderful internet as a teaching method due to lack of a proper teacher at the moment.

I'm trying to develop proper technique before I even begin looking at playing songs, and I have a question regarding muting of strings, mainly open strings.

I use my fretting hand to mute what I can, such as waiting until I play a string to press on the fret. However, I know there is more to be done, and I've seen many techniques, most of them involving using the thumb to mute the string below (pitch wise of course) the one you play. I tend to keep my thumb anchored on the pick-up the whole time and use my ring finger to mute the string below the one I play. It doesn't seem to limit my playing, but I'm curious if there is a "proper" method for muting or if it all depends on my personal preference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm new to the forums after being a long time browser, nice to meet the lot of you
Welcome to the bass forum

I think a lot of it is down to preference.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167491
This thread is talking about something similar, which may help.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
To mute the strings when playing normally, I use my fretting hand most of the time. When I'm fretting a note, I touch the string above the fret (if I was playing 5th fret A string I'd be touch the E string) very lightly to dampen any sound that may occur. When I play open strings, the fingers on my right hand pluck the string but they come to rest on the string below. I hope that's helped.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
It does. I'm not used to having much freedom with the fingers on my fretting hand. I played guitar for quite sometime before I decided on bass. Not that I was terrible (nor was I amazing ) but I had been fascinated by bass the whole time, and eventually realized it was the role I preferred.

Thanks fellas.
No problem.

Welcome to the bass forum, and I hope you have many happy years of bassing ahead of you.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Haha.

One more grand epic thanks before I hit the non-musical sheets to avoid self-induced insomnia.

THANKS!
Muting is one of those things that is kind of just developed out of need, and I've never really heard of a specific technique for it. Personally I mute almost always with my right hand (to mute lower open strings that is). I do it by using my ring finger and pinky finger. It's a bit of a weird way to do it and it's hard to explain, but all I am trying to say is that it's something worth developing, on your own if you have no teacher. I also recommend trying to find a way to mute all of the strings below the one you're playing, because of sympathetic vibrations. It's not incredibly noticeable, but after a while they can make you sound very sloppy.