Hey there, so recently I've been getting sick of my Marshall mg10 SS amp because I just can't get the distorted tone that I want out of it. I play metallica/slayer-ish stuff and I'm wondering if I should get a new amp or a distortion pedal to fill in for the sucky mg OD.
I play mostly 80s metal and I'm trying to get that crunchy palm muted tone and the heavy lead sound.

My budget is around $400 USD.

Please suggest an amp/pedal for me.
I've been playing for a year but I just got serious about it in the past few months.
Thanks in advance
yes, please, get a new amp.

are you looking to go tube, or stay solid state?

edit: fyi, no pedal can help you when you're pumping through an MG.
Last edited by Travesty_Prone at Jul 22, 2009,
If you like modeling amps then maybe try a Peavey Vypyr. If not then go with a B-52 AT-112 or a Blackstar HT-5H (halfstack or combo). Also check out Craigslist see if you find any gems.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
If you like modeling amps then maybe try a Peavey Vypyr. If not then go with a B-52 AT-112 or a Blackstar HT-5H (halfstack or combo). Also check out Craigslist see if you find any gems.

+1
Quote by metal_shredder0
Well I'm just gonna be practicing at home for now so I think I'm gonna stay solid state.

Ok then the Blackstar would almost be perfect for you... It is a tube but it's only 5 watt and is perfect for practice/recording... also a tube is significantly louder than an SS so it would sound louder than 5w

Halfstack

Combo
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 22, 2009,
what would be the difference between the halfstack and the combo? I know what they are but in terms of tone etc.
If you want to buy a half stack don't cheap out on the Cab. the cab will affect the tone severely. It can make a 4,000 dollar ENGL head sound like an MG.
So you should definitely avoid a half stack if your budget is 400.
You can probably find a used 5150 tube combo on ebay in your price range.
Or a 6505 if you save up a bit more.
Quote by metal_shredder0
what would be the difference between the halfstack and the combo? I know what they are but in terms of tone etc.

I guess mainly convenience of carrying around the combo in one piece or the halfstack in two... Or you can get new cabs for the head but not the combo... Idk about the whole tone differences though. Basically what you would appreciate more in the longrun

... Just a guess
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
If you want to buy a half stack don't cheap out on the Cab. the cab will affect the tone severely. It can make a 4,000 dollar ENGL head sound like an MG.

The cabs aren't that bad so I'm not really sure what your basing this off of. They're decent enough to practice with ... which is all you could do with it unless you mic'd it for a gig.

EDIT: The cab is a 1x10 with Celestion speakers... same as the Combo...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I'm not lookin for anything too loud, don't wanna annoy my neighbors just yet how does the ht-5 sound in terms of gain and playing heavy metal?
Quote by metal_shredder0
I'm not lookin for anything too loud, don't wanna annoy my neighbors just yet how does the ht-5 sound in terms of gain and playing heavy metal?

It has enough gain for Metallica (black album era) but would need a OD/Distortion pedal for Heavy metal

EDIT: Look up demos on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blackstar+ht-5s\&search_type=&aq=f
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
So if I'm going for that crazy leper messiah OD I would need a boost/distortion pedal?

Edit: thanks for the idea
Last edited by metal_shredder0 at Jul 22, 2009,
Short answer... yes, get a new amp.

Slightly longer answer... Blackstar HT5 is the best low wattage amp for gain/metal. Pair it with a boost and you'll have enough gain for almost anything.
Quote by metal_shredder0
So if I'm going for that crazy leper messiah OD I would need a boost/distortion pedal?

Edit: thanks for the idea

This is the best demo I've found... This guy gets a lot of different tones from it (blues, ACDC, clean, Metallica are a few)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es&feature=related
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Yeah awesome demo (he played blackened ) , btw is the combo really loud compared to the 10w mg that I got
Quote by metal_shredder0
Yeah awesome demo (he played blackened ) , btw is the combo really loud compared to the 10w mg that I got

Yeah Tube wattage < SS wattage

edit: He is also playing through a 2x12 or 4x12 so it would be louder for him
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Listen dude. If it's just for home. Get a 30 watt Vypyr. It's more than you'll ever need. I owned a 75 watt vypyr and 75 watt spider III and i was never able to turn the volume up more than 7%.
the 30 watt vypyr has plenty of amp models and effects so it will satisfy all your home needs. and it's only like 180 dollars if you order from musicians friend.
so you end up with a nice wad of 220$ left over for whatever you want. (pickups, cables, wireless, nice leather strap, case, big mac, etc)
Quote by metal_shredder0
Alright thanks for all ur help I really appreciate it

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
The big mac sounds good imma try to see if I can play through both and see which one I like best cuz I've heard great things about the vypyr as well
Quote by metal_shredder0
I've heard great things about the vypyr as well

Yeah they're decent amps for Metal.... I don't like them personally because I'm not a fan of modeling amps but they sound pretty good
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by metal_shredder0
What's wrong with modeling amps?

Nothing is wrong with them ... it's all just preference. I like setting my own EQ as opposed to pushing the "Crunch" button. It depends on what YOU like. I like finding my own sounds and settings.

EDIT: and they always come with Loads of effects that don't sound great IMO and that I won't ever use anyway
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.