So my parents were talking about getting me an electric guitar for my birthday as long as it's within their budget, what's the average price I'd expect to pay for a decent amp/guitar/whatever else I need to get set up to play electric?

Also, this is kind of a side (and noob) question.. what's the difference between electric and bass? I noticed there are 2 forum sections, I somehow always thought they were the same thing.
Google.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
a.) It all depends on you. If you're willing to go onto craigslist and get one used (which is a good idea if it's your first guitar), then you can get a package deal. I've seen guitars with practice amps, and a hard case for $200.

That's really good, especially on a budget, so check your listings.

If new is the way to go for you, expect to pay about $150 - 200 USD for a substandard instrument (most Squiers, lower class Epiphones, etc.)

b.) The bass is an instrument that is generally a full octive or so below the range of an electric guitar. Most introductory level bass guitars are four stringed.

Just because it has less strings does NOT make it at all 'easier'. To be a good bassist, usually you'll be drilling theory and busting your hands for a good while.

Hope this helped

B-Rad: try to be less of a tool?
Last edited by Travesty_Prone at Jul 22, 2009,
you can get some guitar packages kinda cheap, what do you want to play, and what's your budget?

Bass guitar creates way lower notes then normal guitar. normal guitar is used to give a general sound to a song where bass guitar kind of supports the rythm and gives it a personal touch (normally)
if an electric guitar/amp/cable/tuner/whatever is too expensive, try starting with an acoustic
Thanks for the responses!

I don't know. I've been playing acoustic for about a year and I'm loving it, but it'd be great to expand. I just know my teacher has an electric (or bass) guitar, and he does some pretty awesome things with it that I couldn't think of doing with an acoustic. My budget sits around $400 tops for everything I need, so if I can hit that or less, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Can you play the same songs on bass as electric?
You can play them, but the guitar and the bass are two seperate instruments, so you'd be playing two seperate parts.

What kind of music are you looking to play?
Easiest way to explain the guitar/bass thing is to show you. Sorry for posting youtube covers, but I think it'll get the job done.

Dani California by RHCP. Bass cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbZ8xT0Qs7k
Dani California by RHCP. Guitar cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7fBaPs3Ng

Personally, I find guitar more fun. And if you've been playing acoustic, you'll already be used to a guitar rather than a bass.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Yeah that clears things up a lot, thanks Joeval.

I'm probably lookin for a guitar xD the guy in that video is very impressive too..
Not a problem Rizz.

I have no clue as to how much these cost in $, but look into a roland cube for your amp, and either a cheap epiphone or a squier VM or Custom for a guitar.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by random_B-RAD
Google.

FFS if you're going to state the ****ing obvious or respond to a genuine question with a sarcastic non helpful response don't bother trying to help the kid out.

And Rizzice to your first point it depends on your parents budgets generally most people can get a decent starter package for under $300usd all brand new provided you don't expect the best of everything.
I actually found some entire packages on eBay for under $150, but I don't know if they're ripoffs or what. The sellers have good rep, but I just dunno if they'd be terrible quality. What difference do higher end and low end guitars have?

Would you recommend just going into a store? The only problem is I haven't really played an electric guitar, so I don't know what is supposed to feel comfortable, if that makes any sense.
Last edited by Rizzice at Jul 22, 2009,
Low end guitars will go out of tune in minutes, will be hard and require more pressure to fret properly, usually have ****ty setups and bad pickups and trems.

If you buy used from eBay or similar you can get a good guitar for much cheaper aswell as a decent amp.
I saw and Ibanez S470 go for $200 once.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Rizzice
I actually found some entire packages on eBay for under $150, but I don't know if they're ripoffs or what. The sellers have good rep, but I just dunno if they'd be terrible quality. What difference do higher end and low end guitars have?

Would you recommend just going into a store? The only problem is I haven't really played an electric guitar, so I don't know what is supposed to feel comfortable, if that makes any sense.

Well we were all noobs once, some of us still are. Anyway a starter pack isn't recommended mainly because they charge you for low end stuff but at high premiums. It's a much better idea to go in store and have a play for guitars yourself just to see how they feel and see how the quality differs between models. And you'll know what feels comfortable when you play it.
Bass and guitar are very different instruments - they just happen to be pretty much the same shape. Do a youtube search for both and you'll see the difference. In my mind bass is more of a rhythm instrument - it lays down the groove.

I would definitely recommend going into a store even if you plan on buying off ebay. Don't worry about not knowing what to play - just see what feels right to you. There can be a huge difference in feel between different guitars - neck width and thickness, weight, balance, shape. Some will feel like they fit you hands better than others. Just have a play and see what you like.

Higher end guitars are made with better wood and higher quality hardware and electronics (better pickups, more reliable pots etc), and are manufactured to higher standards. They should have better quality control too. They sound better because of the better wood and pickups, and they feel better because they are more carefully designed and tested, and better put together.

Personally I'd go second hand if you're on a limited budget - you get a lot more for your money. But you need to work out what you're looking for first. Might be worth seeing what you like in the store, then coming back here and asking for opinions on those guitars/amps.
Your best bet, Rizzice, is to ask your folks how much they're willing to spend. Tell them that you can get a starter package from anywhere between $150 to $15,000. Explain that you want to get the best bang for their buck, but in order to do that, you need to know how much they're willing to spend.

Then come back here with some firmer numbers and a good description of the type of music you'd like to play. There's enough expertise floating around here that you'll likely end up avoiding the money-sinks.

If there's a music store nearby, go to it, try things out, and for the love of all that's holy, do NOT buy anything until you've come back here and asked for info/reviews on whatever it is you're thinking of buying. Otherwise you'll end up with an MG half-stack and realize in a couple years that you paid for a lot more than what you actually got.

Oh, and when you're talking to your folks about money, it would be a good idea to sneak in that most other instruments (like saxaphones, clarinets, upright basses, pianos, flutes, etc...) tend to *START* at around $2000.
The budget is $400, and I want to play stuff like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrNiIThCDTI

I don't know what it's called when you do it, but it always sounds so good. My teacher plays over songs freestyle and it sounds really good too. I'm going to the store today to check out some guitars.

Thanks for the responses, again.
Hmm... weird genre... hip-hop/blues?

At any rate, regardless of the genre, the guy is playing something that sounds a lot like blues. So you've got $400 to put towards a blues rig.

I'm sure that's enough to go on for someone in here. There are a number of things that you'll probably get recommended, but, from what people seem to say on here, you can't really go wrong with a Peavey Vypyr and a squier. These would likely be what you're after, though I haven't played either of them, so someone else will have to comment more; The amp seems highly recommended on here as a solid starter amp, but the guitar might be garbage and the amp might not be capable of pumping out a nice blues tone.

Guitar

amp
Last edited by havokca at Jul 22, 2009,
Since you have a reasonable budget it would be wise to avoid starter packs. Focus on finding a good quality guitar that sounds good playing clean tones. Since your influences tend towards jazz and soul a practice amp that models a wide range of clean tones and basic effects would be appropriate. Here is one possible combo that would serve you well:

Guitar - Agile AL-2000 Slim* http://www.rondomusic.com/al20002tsslim.html
Amp - Fender G-Dec Junior http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-GDEC-Junior-15-Watt-1x8-Combo-Amp?sku=485051

*I picked a slim model assuming you are a teenager and do not have large hands. A standard neck is also available.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Last edited by LowEndSlacker at Jul 22, 2009,
So am I choosing the guitar based on the style I want to play as well? I really have no idea, I like all types of music, so I don't know specifically what I'm looking to play -_-

The Agile AL-2000 looks really great though and the Squier seems to have a discount at the moment. I think I might want to just go to a store and pick up the guitar though.
Quote by Rizzice
My budget sits around $400 tops for everything I need, so if I can hit that or less, then it shouldn't be an issue.

oh yeah, that'll be fine. get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v for the guitar, and something like a roland microcube or vox valvetronix for the amp, and you'll have a pretty nice rig and that should be under budget too. You'll need a guitar lead/cable too (shouldn't be too much) and a strap (ditto) as well, maybe a guitar stand if you can stretch to it.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
FFS if you're going to state the ****ing obvious or respond to a genuine question with a sarcastic non helpful response don't bother trying to help the kid out.

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
since you aren't new to guitar(you said you have and acoustic), you should be focused on a good amp first.
You can get a 5 watt vox tube amp for like 200 and other good tube amps for about that much, espicially if you go used.

A squier would be a good choice but it just depends how much cash you have left, strats are pretty much all purpose guitars so you cant go wrong with a squier strat or something of that nature
I got my first set of gear for $200. Now these were by no means decent. The guitar was a cheapo no name Strat copy and the amp was a Fender Frontman. My current setup, which I would call decent, but not beastly, cost me $700 ($400 used Jackson RR3, $300 Roland Cube 30X). TS, I would say the $400 ballpark, look at Craigslist, there are steals all over there.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

So I went to the store and took a look at all the guitars I could that were mentioned here. Is a Fender Strat a good starting guitar?
Quote by LowEndSlacker
Since you have a reasonable budget it would be wise to avoid starter packs. Focus on finding a good quality guitar that sounds good playing clean tones. Since your influences tend towards jazz and soul a practice amp that models a wide range of clean tones and basic effects would be appropriate. Here is one possible combo that would serve you well:

Guitar - Agile AL-2000 Slim* http://www.rondomusic.com/al20002tsslim.html
Amp - Fender G-Dec Junior http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-GDEC-Junior-15-Watt-1x8-Combo-Amp?sku=485051

*I picked a slim model assuming you are a teenager and do not have large hands. A standard neck is also available.

He plays acoustic. A large neck shouldn't be a problem.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
Quote by Rizzice
So I went to the store and took a look at all the guitars I could that were mentioned here. Is a Fender Strat a good starting guitar?

it really depends on what music you'll be playing and which fender strat it was.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For the Amp a roland 15w Cube is perfect for a starter who wants to play around with easy to use and high quality effects on a clean tone. It's something you will still be using in many years, and it's small and cheap.

As for the guitar you have a wide selection. I don't recommend a particular model, but you should try some out. I am also encouraging you to buy a used one, but from a shop, so that you will a) be able to try it out and b) ask the guy at the shop to set it up properly (if it's no done already) and with new strings.
I bought my first guitar as a used one and from a shop. used because it's cheaper and you get better quality for the same price, but from a shop for the security and the ability to try it out.

Also i recommend you buy a guitar with a fixed bridge or a vintage style tremolo like on a normal strat. Any other type of tremolo bridges are a pain in the ass for a beginner.
Basic info:

Every guitar sounds different.
Every amp sounds different.
No guitar sounds good for every kind of music.
No amp sounds good for every kind of music.
Even two identical guitars can sound slightly different. Try before you buy, if you can.
The amp is just as important as your guitar.
Bass and guitar are as similar as trumpets and trombones. They are different instruments and they play very different, equally important roles.

So to answer your questions thus far, YES you will have to pick a guitar and amp that matches the music you want to play. If you buy an amp and guitar that sound good for blues then you won't be playing thrash metal with the same setup, and if you have gear that sounds good playing thrash metal you most likely wont sound very good playing any sort of actual music on that same guitar and amp. (I kid because I love, metalheads.) This is why it's important to pick a guitar and amp that matches your style.

Hope that helps with the absolute basics. Feel free to ask for clarification if needed.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Jul 28, 2009,
Go for a guitar from Rondo Music as your first guitar. Absolute best quality for the price. For amps, DONT get a Marshall MG or Line6 Spider. They are horrible amps. Go for a Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube,or Vox Vaulvetronix.
I'd try for a Peavy Vypyr for an amp. It's very good if your interested in multiple types of music because of the effects it brings to the table, albeit a bit overwhelming for a beginner. It won't hit any specific tone absolutely perfectly if your trying to emulate someone, but it should be able to get you close enough for satisfaction.

As for a guitar, look for a used MIM strat, or a guitar in your budget from Agile (AKA Rondo music).
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Last edited by C/ruel at Jul 28, 2009,
The Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster, is the best bang for bucks you can get these days.

Pick up a Peavey Vypyr 15/30 or Vox VT 15/30 to match it.
Okay, so I think I'm going to get the Squier Jagmaster.. it's supposed to be like a cheaper version of the Jaguar, do you guys think that will be good? It'll cost me about 340 with the amp, which is a digital amp, I forgot which brand though (it had a number in it) >.<