Page 1 of 2
Now there seems to be more and more 5watt tube amps around, whenever they maybe in combo form or a stack more and more manafactures are producing them. They all tend to vary on features for example some feature just a volume knob while some can feature a 3 band EQ and other surprising features. I would like a 5watt tube which I can use for a bit of everything home practice, band practice and small gigs. But which 1 will suit my needs and which is best overall? (Btw I dont want to be paying over £250)

Epiphone Valve junior
Harley benton GA5
Orange AD5
Vox AC4
Fender Champion 600
Gretsch G5222
Ibanez Valbee
Blackheart Little Giant

and anymore that you can recommend (remember im british so not all amps are avaliable here.)
Blackheart HT-5.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by Bob_Smith
Blackheart HT-5.

HT-5 is the Little Giant, if I'm not mistaken. Also, Blackstar Ht-5 maybe?
bleh, my bad, i did mean blackstar
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Blackstar HT-5 or Blackheart Little Giant are both good.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
the vox ac4 is cool. very Ac30ish
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
I discovered another amp a Bugera V5 anyone tried one of these?

I heard it, it was pretty meh

The HT-5 is a pretty awesome amp, i have one myself and it can give me a good range of tones. The only place where it falls short is high-gain tones, but even where you get a nice OD you can get more gain but the voicing isn't quite right for it. It has a gain voicing more similar to a Marshall sounding overdrive rather than the aggressive American gain you would get out of a Mesa.

What it does though, it does great. I find it incredibly easy to crank the clean channel for some nice natural OD tones than even get to Zeppelin or GNR levels of gain when i kick on my OD pedal. On the gain channel, if you have an OD pedal than you can achieve 80's thrash metal kind of gain similar to Slayer or Megadeth.

Either way, its a very versatile amp with a lot of features compared to other amps in its price range.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
I heard it, it was pretty meh

Where did you find one of those?
I thought they were only going to be released in October?
Why is everyone reccomending the HT-5? What genre does TS even play? We should probably determine that before screaming out an amp name.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
blackstar for sure
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
OMG! STOP RECCOMENDING THE BLACKSTAR WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHAT GENRES THE TS PLAYS! If he plays rhcp, nirvana, and foo fighters (i'm guessing that's ff?) then the blackheart little giant plus an overdrive might actually work better.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
Why is everyone reccomending the HT-5? What genre does TS even play? We should probably determine that before screaming out an amp name.

+1 really need to know this first, really depends on what you want. I think you might want to look at 15 watts for gigs and band practice.

Oh and for the people recommending the Blackstar, it's over his budget, not by much but he does seem to want to stick to £250.
HT5 covers all those bands well and I'm not sure on prices but isn't the combo under 250 pounds?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
HT5 covers all those bands well and I'm not sure on prices but isn't the combo under 250 pounds?

£300 usually, and it may cover them but there's other amps will do them much better in my opinion.

EDIT: I would say the Blackheart with a overdrive would do you well. If you want great cleans get the Vox AC4 with an overdrive. Both would come to around £250 depending on the OD you get.
Last edited by aaronni at Jul 22, 2009,
The HT-5 does everything better than the Blackheart. Zepp, GnR, FF, Metallica, CoB, Slayer, etc.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
The HT-5 does everything better than the Blackheart. Zepp, GnR, FF, Metallica, CoB, Slayer, etc.

Maybe to you, maybe to mr John over there, but not to a number of people.
Internet advise is always good but the best advise comes from your ears. So if you can, test drive the amps of choise.
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
OMG! STOP RECCOMENDING THE BLACKSTAR WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHAT GENRES THE TS PLAYS! If he plays rhcp, nirvana, and foo fighters (i'm guessing that's ff?) then the blackheart little giant plus an overdrive might actually work better.

Big +1, blackstar has no usable blues tone either. Terribly overrated around here.

Not to mention, 5W and a band doesn't work too well, a nice 12-18 watter would be better. Yes you want to crank tube amps to their sweet spot, and I have yet to find an amp whose sweet spot is at max output
Disagree all you want, sounded like shit to me, gave up after twenty minutes of trying to dial one in, moved on to greener pastures. YMMV
Quote by Robino_Ibanez

Yep thats pretty much what I play, just a general mix of alternative rock/indie and classic rock nothing really heavy tbh.
Quote by pak1351
Big +1, blackstar has no usable blues tone either.

What?! You obviously didn't use the right settings then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Blackheart=win
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by JayT44
What?! You obviously didn't use the right settings then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es

I love this bs.
I tried to dial them in, I had a gc employee come try to dial some in while I was playing, I asked him to try to dial in some for himself, and I tried to dial one in when he was playing. We both concluded it was meh, which I expected considering it's based off a high-gain distortion pedal.

I don't like it, bfd. It's not a great amp, and if you expect me to think a youtube video recorded on a p.o.s. camera is an accurate representation of what the amp is capable of, you're sorely mistaken. I don't think he had any great blues tones either.

I think a 15W amp would work for gigs, or something in the 12-20W area. Possibly a laney vc15?
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
Yep thats pretty much what I play, just a general mix of alternative rock/indie and classic rock nothing really heavy tbh.

In this case the Blackheart Little Giant plus an overdrive would work. Though you might wanna consider a larger amp like a Blues Jr or a Traynor if you plan on gigging pretty soon.
Since you don't play anything too heavy, you should get the Blackheart.

I mean, yeah, play it first, but it's probably your best bet. If it isn't loud enough then there's a 15watt Blackheart that you could look into, but I suppose that's a whole new bag of fish.

If you'd like clips, I can probably record some tomorrow or maybe next week.
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF

What is your budget?
do you gig?

if you have a high budget i suggest going boutique
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
What is your budget?
do you gig?

if you have a high budget i suggest going boutique

didnt bother reading? laney lc15.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
didnt bother reading? laney lc15.

ohh... i was playing pokemon so i wasnt paying attention
i suggest the Blackheart.
i can do small(restaurant size) gigs with mine cranked.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
ohh... i was playing pokemon so i wasnt paying attention

UG, meet one of your most inexplicably listened to users. We're all super proud of him.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
UG, meet one of your most inexplicably listened to users. We're all super proud of him.

I don't think anybody actually listens to him, so it's ok.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
If anyone bothered to read my first post my budget is around £250 (so thats about $410) im british so not all amps are avaliable here like traynors.

Thanks for the current suggestions like the blackheart handsome devil, laney LC15 + VC15 etc I will look into those. But soon enough the epiphone valve senior is coming out as well so that is another option if that is any good.

Another thing I dont see the point of investing in the blackstar due to the fact I can find a higher watt amp at a lower price. Thanks for the suggestions.
Page 1 of 2