ok so from what ive read the peavy vyper seems to be a good amp but my question is would the 30 watt be enough for gigging if not how much should i expect to pay for the 60 watt version
Paying more for the 60 would be good, since it has t00bs.
But the 30w seems fine, if you mic it.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Last edited by Popsai at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by Popsai
Paying more for the 60 would be good, since it has t00bs.
But the 30w seems fine, if you mic it.

This.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
No 75w is SS but that would probably be loud enough to gig with... It won't sound as good as the tube however
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Doesn't the vypyr only have like one tube in the preamp?
If that's the case, i don't think it makes much of a difference.
But either way i think they all have blue marvel speakers.
Which i don't think anyone is fan of. So they sound bad when you MIC them.
and if it's full tube. You will probably want to swap those tubes out and get it re-biased.
But then in the end after having spent all that cash all you really end up with is a digital modeling amp with some nice parts.

And i wouldn't recommend gigging with it.

Besides for less than you would pay for a new 60 watt tube vypyr,
and LESS THAN HALF what you would pay for a 60 watt tube vypyr with all the upgrades i mentioned

you can find a used 6505 combo.
- Two 12 inch sheffield speakers.
- full tube.
- Natural analog distortion and plenty of it.
- Tank like construction
- and a reputation you can't argue with.
And you could probably find that used on craigslist or ebay for 450-600$

I TRUST THAT YOU WILL DO THE RIGHT THING.
ok well this is the first amp ive had to buy so im not sure if ill be able to tell the difference between tube and a solidstate amp
What if TS doesnt play metal?
The 60 is a pretty solid amp if TS needs to cover lots of genres.
If you do play metal, do take that suggestion
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Last edited by Popsai at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by notsominidude
ok well this is the first amp ive had to buy so im not sure if ill be able to tell the difference between tube and a solidstate amp

Oh you definitely will.
Just make sure if you get a nice tube amp. with nice speakers. and nice tubes.
get a decent cable to go along with it.
like a nice gold plated mogami.
Quote by Popsai
What if TS doesnt play metal?
The 60 is a pretty solid amp if TS needs to cover lots of genres.

All he asked about was the difference between the 60w tube and 30w SS Vypyr
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
well i play a lot of metal hard rock post hardcore stuff e.g maiden metallica bfmv enter shikari alesana slipknot motor head 3 days grace trivium.

and the 6505 combo is way out of my price range i can only spend around 450 on this ( im only 14 and have about £700 in my bank and dont really want to spend all of it at once
Definitely go for the 60w tube if you can afford it
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
[ you can find a used 6505 for 450$ ]
if it's the whole "i dont wanna buy used gear" thing
you're gonna grow out of it sooner or later when you realize its just as good and a lot cheaper. every one realizes this as some point.
why not now.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
the whole "i dont wanna buy used gear" thing

Yeah buying used amps is okay IMO... personally i wouldn't buy a used guitar though
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
oh no i have no problem with buying used gear my js30 is used and i got it for 120 just has a few scratches on the back but where could i find a used 6505 that cheap oh and im in the united kingdom
Quote by notsominidude
oh no i have no problem with buying used gear my js30 is used and i got it for 120 just has a few scratches on the back but where could i find a used 6505 that cheap oh and im in the united kingdom

i dont know. i guy in my neighborhood was selling one for that price a while back.
Is there craigslist in the united kingdom?
i dont know ive never heard of craigslist before yesterday
ok there is but the only amp on there i can afford is the Laney TT100-212 Valve Combo Amplifer which is £400 which i know nothing about
In great working condition, recently replaced the 4 power valves with Svetlana EL34's, that should keep you going for at least a year if you gig regularly.

thats the bit that worries me about the amp. i will or atleast should be gigging quite often like once monthish and will be practising with my band aswell and wouldnt be able to afford an amp again in a year
Quote by JayT44
All he asked about was the difference between the 60w tube and 30w SS Vypyr

I know, i was talking to the above guy.
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22

This is from my experience of owning a vypyr 75 and borrowing a 15, gigging with them both.

The 15 is loud enough for pubs / smaller venues

*but* theyre not really gigging amps - my 75 just broke for some reason whilst transporting it. It was just on my knee, didnt knock anything and there were no signs of distress.
A few times during practice its just locked up and ive had to reboot it which would be really **** live

I love the amp...but I see it as more of a home practice / jamming amp - its also very good for experimentation. If you want to try out a load of FX / Stompboxes / Amp tones then its great...as you get to pick from hundreds of combinations...but after a few months I started to realise i only had a few I really used - its cos i was starting to develop my own tone and know what I liked...so I've got a refund on my 75W and am getting a tube, non-modelling amp tht is made for gigging, and a few single pedals for it.

Buy the 30, it will be loud enough for gigs, but don't get the 60 as by the time you start to need that much power you'll want something other than a modelling amp

hope that helps
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by notsominidude
In great working condition, recently replaced the 4 power valves with Svetlana EL34's, that should keep you going for at least a year if you gig regularly.

thats the bit that worries me about the amp. i will or atleast should be gigging quite often like once monthish and will be practising with my band aswell and wouldnt be able to afford an amp again in a year

That just means you may have to replace the tubes in a year, not the amp.
oh right ok then so i think ill get the laney tt100 212 thanks people
wait how much would it cost to replace the tubes
Depends on how many tubes the amp has and whether you want to replace them all at once...

You can expect to replace power amp tubes once every year or so. Preamp tubes can last a lot longer. Don't expect to have to pay more than, I'd say, about 70 quid on tubes if you replace them all at once...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I did a gig with the vypyr 30 for about 150- 250 people and it worked great.
The great thing about rock-n-roll is you realize the top of the mountain is big enough for more than one band.
-Paul Stanley
it is. it is nice to have a warranty though. kind of a pain to go into an amp repair store and they charge you $200 to fix your amp. with a brand new one though the just send the company the bill. used anything is a crap shoot but you can find some good deals. if new is $1000 more it's probably not worth it.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...