a metal/shred guitar.

Im looking for something that can do both beautiful cleans and distortion.

Preferably passive.

Its probably gonna be single coil neck and Humbucker Bridge.
6 string bass =]
mmm.. well for really nice cleans id probably go for a lower output pickup such as a gibson style PAF which can also hold nice distorted sounds (EVH basically uses a PAF) however if you wanna go more towards a distorted sound maybe try a dimarzio PAF pro.... as for the neck im not really sure
DiMarzio Evolution or D activator pickups
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
dimarzio tonezone or super distorionII
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by ibanezgod1973
dimarzio evolutions for humbucker and dimarzio yjm`s for single coil.

try this

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

What he said...

You really can't go wrong with an Evo PU in the bridge....it is one of the best pickups I have ever heard. It is such a HOT passive pick up.
this is really something you'd have to decide for yourself but i hear good things about the Dimarzio Steve's Special, Evolution and Air Norton.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
id say either dimarzio super distortion or tono zone or

seymour duncan JB or 59.

all of these are awesome, and if you go to dimarzios website you punch your info and they tell you what pickups will match your guitar and the tone you want
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
dimarzio evolutions for humbucker and dimarzio yjm`s for single coil.

try this

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

This forum doesn't seem to understand that the HS-3s and YJMs are not high-output metal pickups - they're warm, low output hum-cancelling Strat pickups that Yngwie uses for their clarity.

TS, you have to be far more specific. We need to know your exact tonal demands, including but not limited to:
-Bass response
-Lower midrange response
-Upper midrange response
-Treble response
-Output
-Harmonic response
-Clarity
-Compression

Until we know what you want we can't reccomend you your ideal pickup. Simply saying that you want cleans and you want distortion isn't anywhere near enough information.
What kind's of metal?
Also, what is wrong with your tone now that you want to change, and what is your current amp(s)?