CHECK LAST POST UPDATE

I have a really old acoustic and wanted to paint it, my plan was to sand of the gloss finish on the face of the guitar so that I can paint onto the wood, then finally put about 5 layers of varnish over it to make it looks the same.

I know this will damage the guitar and effect the sound, but is this the proper way to do it? Or atleast the best way to do it with limited tools.

CHECK LAST POST UPDATE
Last edited by Nogert at Jul 30, 2009,
Is it your first try at doing somthing like this? If it is, your almost definatly gunna mess this guitar up mate. Lol.

Don't do it unless this guitar is just a mess around guitar.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I allready stated that I KNOW this will effect the guitar and change the sound of it, it's a very cheap guitar so I do not care, as for messing it up, have faith lol! I've just started, I've sanded down the glossy layer and started painting out the base colours, nothing has gone wrong yet and it's looks like it's going to be all ok :P

I've took some pictures so I may upload the process when I'm finished.
I wouldn't use varnish over paint -- what kind of paint are you using? If you're trying to get a clear coat over the paint, then you'll want to check to make sure your coats are compatible or your final coats will come off. Spray urethane would probably work better for you.
Quote by Nogert
I allready stated that I KNOW this will effect the guitar and change the sound of it, it's a very cheap guitar so I do not care, as for messing it up, have faith lol! I've just started, I've sanded down the glossy layer and started painting out the base colours, nothing has gone wrong yet and it's looks like it's going to be all ok :P

I've took some pictures so I may upload the process when I'm finished.

Fair play mate, lol.

Yeah i have little faith because of my own experiances, because anything I touch with a sander or paint ends up in the bin. Lol.

Make sure you upload the finished product mate, so we see how it turns out.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
my old mate was gonna pay £70 for a paintjob on his acoustic guitar, I told him I'd do it for 50, so when he left I went in my shed, got some dark purple emulsion and painted it.
Must've given it about 4 coats, he didn't seem to complain (never saw him after it) so I went and bought 3 games off amazon with the money
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Fair play mate, lol.

Yeah i have little faith because of my own experiances, because anything I touch with a sander or paint ends up in the bin. Lol.

Make sure you upload the finished product mate, so we see how it turns out.

Just use fine sandpaper and it should be fine. 400 and then 800 grit should make a very smooth finish. Although I've never done it myself. Maybe someone like ReChord could give you a better answer. Also, you might want to ask people in the Guitar Building & Customizing forum as there are many more people in there who build their own guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Captivate is exactly right...light sanding with a 400 and then an 800 will get the lacquer off. What type of paint do you plan on using? Because it changes the prep a little bit. If you are using spray paints (with or without stencils) then you need to figure out what type of wood you have so that you know if its open or closed grain...because open grained wood will just soak up the paint and kill any resonance your guitar will get unless its properly sealed first.

If you are using direct paints and don't want any natural guitar to show through then I suggest you prime it first...just buy a 5 dollar bottle of primer from your hardware store and put a thin layer on. Then you are free to use most acrylic paints.

If you are using an acrylic paint, then use an clear acrylic lacquer from your local wood store. 3 or 4 coats should do the trick, but you may want a little more if it looks bad. To polish and shine the lacquer, take you sand paper and softly sand with the 800.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Quote by ReChord
Captivate is exactly right...light sanding with a 400 and then an 800 will get the lacquer off. What type of paint do you plan on using? Because it changes the prep a little bit. If you are using spray paints (with or without stencils) then you need to figure out what type of wood you have so that you know if its open or closed grain...because open grained wood will just soak up the paint and kill any resonance your guitar will get unless its properly sealed first.

If you are using direct paints and don't want any natural guitar to show through then I suggest you prime it first...just buy a 5 dollar bottle of primer from your hardware store and put a thin layer on. Then you are free to use most acrylic paints.

If you are using an acrylic paint, then use an clear acrylic lacquer from your local wood store. 3 or 4 coats should do the trick, but you may want a little more if it looks bad. To polish and shine the lacquer, take you sand paper and softly sand with the 800.

Thanks, for the info, I'm currently painting with emultion and acrylics, I had the problem with the wood showing through, So I just gave it a second coat to stop that.

As for the paint soaking in, I assumed that would happen but it doesn't really bother me because the guitar never had a nice sound, and this is purely novalty now.

I will definetly look into using the acrylic laquer as well, thanks.

If anyones is interested I've started it and here it is so far, very early stage atm.

http://twitpic.com/b8j57

http://twitpic.com/b8j2p

This is the reference I'm using

http://www.milegend.com/story/images/story3img1.gif
Looks very nice. You could take off the pickguard if you wanted to...it just takes a hair dryer and a putty knife.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I want it! I'd paint my guitar but I cant for two reasons..
It's already got a gloss (its sunburst blue)
And I'm a rubbish painter!
Wow, what a beautiful paint job!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Wow ! i love it ! i wish i could paint like you
Quote by Franzypants
Gorgeous. She was it.

Thanks everyone, I'll probably give this another bump when it's varnished and re-strung, I'm still anxious to see how it sounds after all that paint. Shouldn't be too bad hopefully.
Quote by roamingbard13
Looks very nice. You could take off the pickguard if you wanted to...it just takes a hair dryer and a putty knife.

Yeah was thinking about taking off the board before I started but personally I didn't think it interrupted the picture too much so I just left it on.
Is it good for the paint if I paint it in my shed?? (the little house in the backyard you keep your lawnmower, etc).
Nothing wrong with it, but I can't imagine it'd be good for the guitar if its hot in there.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Sweet job, looks amazing! Did you already check how it sounds? If it sounds rather poor, just show off the guitar a lot and people won't notice it sounds rubbish :P
Quote by Xtramus
Sweet job, looks amazing! Did you already check how it sounds? If it sounds rather poor, just show off the guitar a lot and people won't notice it sounds rubbish :P

Sorry for the necro, been a while since I've checked this thread.

As for the tone, I still haven't given it a proper finish therfore I haven't re strung it yet, the reason I haven't finished it yet is because I have a family member spraying it and he's still not got used to the spray can and one drip could completely ruin it.

When I first started this, I expected there to be some loss of quality but then again I chose my cheapest guitar, £70 to be exact, so I don't really mind any loss of quality.

I'll update once more when I've finished it and either tell you how it sounds or post a sample.

Thanks everyone
Wow! That is just cooler than the other side of the pillow. Nice job Nogert!
Yamaha FG-345
Seagull S6
Epi Les Paul