I have a tonelab and a tele copy.

When I plug my tele into my tonelab I get a lot of buzz. When I touch a metal part of my guitar or the metal on my lead ends it quietens down immensely (not not totally). When I plug it into my 10w marshall SS I get no buzz but thats only on a clean channel where as the buzz is really only on a gained setting on the tonelab.

Now I checked the lead and its soldering, all seems ok (unless there is a break somewhere along the cable). I took the tele apart. Front SC is ok. The tone/volume pots all look ok. But there is 2 wires coming from the tone pot to the bridge single coil. only one of them is connected. Is the other one suppose to be connected? (was thinking maybe its an earth?).

Plugged it into my amplug and its quite loud on that too.
Last edited by fiztech at Jul 22, 2009,
You should probably re-connect that wire and shield the cavity if it isn't already should do the trick
my jack isnt loose either, but i will check the insides now. but thats normally where the earth goes isnt it. i hope its not my tonelab as its brand new. wasnt making this noise for the first couple days.
60 cycle hum that's being amplified? Though you may also have a loose wire or loose connection perhaps so it's worth being looked into.
how can i test its not the tonelabs input? dont have another lead or guitar. what if i plugged an mp3 player into it and tested to see if there is noise? whats odd is when i unplug the lead from the guitar the noise is still there, like high voltage humming. not your normal single could noiseness hum. but i dont get it when i plug into my marshall which is odd.

checled the lead jack on the guitar. thats ok.
just plugged my lappy into the input with a 3.5mm to 6.5mm cable and no hum. so its not the input.

im baffled. the same cable and guitar does not hum on my marshall, even when unplugged from the guitar. when in the tonelab it hums its bum off with higher gain models (and not a normal hum trust me), either plugged in to the guitar or the lead unplugged from guitar. yet no hum going to its input with another source.

if it wasnt for having no hum on my marshall, i would say its the lead.
could it be this 60 hum thing? i have a lot of gear in my room close to it. a power board, amp, lappy, xbox, lcd tv.
that's due to a loose ground somewhere...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
yes, like said one of your ground wires fell off.

ground the guitar. stop worrying about why some amps are buzzing when others arent.

just ground the guitar and when you have it open, shield it too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

ground the guitar. stop worrying about why some amps are buzzing when others arent.

this
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by jj1565

i thought the ground wire was the one that hooks up to the lead jack?

so the tone pot has two wires, one for the pickup and one for a ground?
Quote by fiztech

there are several wires that go to ground. one goes to the bridge, one or more wires from your pickup go to ground, one of the wires from the jack goes to ground, etc....
Quote by fiztech

yeah every part in that guitar is gounded. it touches a ground wire and meets at a common point.

usually soldered in a pool on the back of the volume pot.

the color of those wires is your ground color. so look for a loose or off wire of the same color and fix that one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

whoever had this guitar before me i think must have put another pup in the bridge because when i looked in there under the ashtray bridge i found a chopped up piece of wire and this loose cable (isnt even soldered) thats wired to the tone pot. its not the same colour as the other wires at all, its orange, could have come from anywhere though.
Quote by fiztech
whoever had this guitar before me i think must have put another pup in the bridge because when i looked in there under the ashtray bridge i found a chopped up piece of wire and this loose cable (isnt even soldered) thats wired to the tone pot. its not the same colour as the other wires at all, its orange, could have come from anywhere though.

are the cavities shielded with shielding tape? that may be a ground for the shielding...?
nah its non shielded, but being a seperate cavity for each in teles i would have thought the problem is less than strats.

that loose wire has got to be the ground. maybe the bridge had it jammed between it and the wood and when i removed the bridge to take a looksy its come loose. as it wasnt soldered on. if it is indeed an earth wire.
yeah, when i took the bridge off my tele the bridge wire wasnt connected and i picked up a buzz after.

i eventually fixed it but until i did i just connected a wire like this to the bridge with a clip and tucked the other end in my waistband to quiet the guitar.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

nice... looks like you found it. congrats!
jen your always right haha. i fanned that wire out and placed it between the bridge and body and bolted the bridge down. problem solved.
cool
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62