I have a song to memorize on clarinet for marching band in one week. I'll be on vacation next week, so I'll only have maybe an hour a day to play...it's 3 pages long and played at a whopping 158 bpm.

Anyways, how do you memorize?

For piano I just play the song over and over without meaning to memorize but I end up having it memorized in a few weeks. For guitar, I just play along with guitar pro. What can I do for clarinet? I honestly can't even hear the clarinet on the recording my band director gave me, so I can't really play along with it.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
for guitar, i get used to using the drums as a 'signal' to change
also vocals act as kinda 'benchmarks' and stuff like that...
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
For guitar, I just learn the parts of the song first ( chorus, verse, etc) and then play along with the song a few times. Takes me an hour, maybe 2, to learn a song completely.

Try that for clarinet; divide the song in parts, learn the parts, and then learn which part goes where?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
You could put the music you have into Guitar Pro and play along to it?

I memorise by repeating sections and piecing them together (and repeating the full piece of music).
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
for guitar its just learning patterns and structures for me, but for clarinet, take you cant sight read? uhm, break it into parts and learn the parts.
Quote by stephen_rettie
for guitar its just learning patterns and structures for me, but for clarinet, take you cant sight read? uhm, break it into parts and learn the parts.

I can sight read it no problem. It's for marching band where you march around the football field, so you can't have your music...

Good suggestion about putting it into guitar pro! thanks, haha.

my brain is usually responsible for the whole memorization thing. i'm not sure how it goes about that. sorry.

but i normally just play something over and over and over and over and over again. repitition is a good way to get people to remember things. why do you think parents nag?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I wouldn't say 158 bpm is fast at all, but I play guitar.
I'm curious, why is it harder on clarinet, because of the breathing or something?
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
I'm curious, why is it harder on clarinet, because of the breathing or something?

tonguing...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Solid S/hit

imagine picking with your tongue...
Quote by Solid S/hit

Breathing, tonging, I've never memorized anything on it before since we can usually have the music in front of us, I don't have much endurance on clarinet, etc.

lol clarinet ftw thats my first instrument.

basically look for the form of the piece. Then just memorize each part of the form. So if the form is AABACA then just learn one A one B and one C then remember the form. There will be a few varations which you will just have to remember. Also if you have a good ear and since normally we have the melody you can just play that off the top of your head if your lead.

Good Luck