I've been playing bass for about 5 years now. The band I'm playing in have got a few acoustic gigs coming up soon and I've got some money from selling some old gear, I want to buy an acoistic bass guitar of some sought. I'm looking at spending a maximum of about £150 and yes I'm more than happy to buy secondhand.

Can anyone suggest some decent acoustic basses I could get, also I'd prefer one that didn't have the plastic bowl type back.

Thanks alot guys.
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
Looking at your sig, if you threw some flats on that Precision Fretless, it would fit the bill nicely and you could save some cash in the bargain.
Yeah these guys hit it perfectly. I love my acoustic for the fact that I can sit in my room and not have anyone here me fiddling around or practicing songs. The tone isn't anything great, but it is different. I think anarkee's suggestion sounds like a great idea.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Only a slab is not an ABG. It's not the same visually. It's not the same tonally.

Quote by LD1992
I want to buy an acoistic bass guitar of some sought. I'm looking at spending a maximum of about £150 and yes I'm more than happy to buy secondhand.
Can anyone suggest some decent acoustic basses I could get, also I'd prefer one that didn't have the plastic bowl type back.
Thanks alot guys.

I don't know what's available in your area, so do your best to get out and play as many as you can, at all price points. See if you can locate a Takamine ES100 (not the ES50, bad reviews). If you can find a used G series all the better, but they're a little above your budget.

You'll still need to plug in on the "unplugged" gigs, so make sure you plug in when you're checking out basses (if you can of course). If you're in a store, have a sales rep play the bass while you stand a ways off, it'll give you an idea of how well, or not, the bass projects. Or, if you can, take along a guitar player friend to get an idea of how well, or not, the bass cuts through in a duo.

Keep in mind, ABG's by nature are not terribly loud. Acoustic volume is directly related to string height and how hard you play. You have to raise the strings and dig in to play with a couple of guitars acoustically. Not so much if you're plugging in obviously.
Thanks alot.

I've found a Tanglewood, TMO - B2.

What do you think?

I can get it for about £90 secondhand.
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
the most important things to consider when buying an agb is volume, and comfort. And your not gonna get those things for very cheap. I would do what anarkee suggested untill you can save up at least 350.
Quote by LD1992
Thanks alot.

I've found a Tanglewood, TMO - B2.

What do you think?

I can get it for about £90 secondhand.

i play a tanglewood acoustic bass and i love the tone, when you are using it live mic it though, dont plug it in, the electronics on mine are alright but they take away from the tone
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
thanks alot guys i think i have a clearer idea of what to do now. what i should have said before is also that we will be playing real acoustic practices before the gigs and i'll have to travel on the bus to get them. So obviously i'll have to take an acoustic bass cos i cant carry my amp on the bus unless i buy a tiny practice amp but i'd rather not. I just like the feel and tone of acoustic basses.

I'm probably going to get a tanglewood, but obviously i'm gonna try some first and I WILL be buying second hand cos it's so much cheaper etc.
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH