Hi. On my Partsocaster, I've been having issues with the top e string since I put it together. There are three I want to try and fix up:

1. when I try to bend the 17th fret, it frets out before I've even bent to the tone of the 18th fret. I've also noticed that when trying to bend from frets before the 17th, when I get up to the tone of the 18th fret, it frets out. How should I go about fixing this?

2. I've had multiple e strings snap at the ball of the string (I'm not sure if that's the technical term - I'm talking about the end of the string in the bridge). I don't now if I'm using a crappy brand of string (D'addario super light top/reg bottom) because, even though the string saddles are pretty high, it doesn't look like they would've effected the breakage of the string.

3. there is an audible buzz (i.e. it can be heard through the amp as well as without the amp) from the e string which only occurs on an open fret. Although it sounds like it's coming from the bridge, it goes away when I fret the string anywhere else, and when I really push the string into the grove of the nut with a fingernail or something, it seems to go away. This leads me to believe that the nut is the issue here, and it either needs to be repaired or replaced. However, the nut is made of plastic and came stock with the licenced All-Parts Stratocaster neck. So my question is should I repair the nut, get a new one made or try and make one myself? Keep in mind that I don't have any experience and probably don't have the necessary tools. Also, what nut material would one recommend should I need a new one?

edit: I should mention that the truss rod is fully unscrewed so that it isn't being used and all the saddles are pretty high. The reason that the truss rod is unscrewed is that with any tension on it at all, there is a massive amount of fretbuzz all over the neck. I believe that it was warped before I bought it because it was left with tension but no strings.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Jul 22, 2009,
click the green link in my sig.

you need to level the bridge so it's not ass in the air. (if it is)

then you need to measure the neck's relief on the high e and on the Low E side.
make sure they are the same, and see if you can fit a credit card in the middle relief,

and then post back here.

oh yeah also check for a sharp spot where the strings are breaking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
click the green link in my sig.

you need to level the bridge so it's not ass in the air. (if it is)

then you need to measure the neck's relief on the high e and on the Low E side.
make sure they are the same, and see if you can fit a credit card in the middle relief,

and then post back here.

oh yeah also check for a sharp spot where the strings are breaking.

Bridge is about a millimeter in the air: I only really use the trem for subtle vibrato of chords. It has been up to 4-5 millimeters in the air, but not for a while.

On both the high e and low e, there is about a credit cards distance (+ or - 0.5mm) between the fret and the string using the test you posted.

I'm pretty sure the saddles aren't the issue because of the situation I described earlier. I should probably mention that I can be a hard picker and I was bending a perfect fourth when the string broke...which may be pushing it...

Also, when I said 17th fret in OP, I meant 18th fret. Oops.
hey sorry i didnt answer earlier. for some reason it didnt come up on my threads.

anyway, .5mm, is a lot of relief. instead of the measurement, can you tell me if a credit card fits in the middle gap?
i like using a guide like this because it's universal.
you need to hold the first fret and the last fret where the body and neck meet.

if you actually have too much gap, you should really adjust the truss rod.
if it's the same gap on both sides then your neck seems sound enough.
a slight lift of the back of the bridge is fine.
and you have to check the string contact point where the string breaks. see if there's a burr there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
hey sorry i didnt answer earlier. for some reason it didnt come up on my threads.

anyway, .5mm, is a lot of relief. instead of the measurement, can you tell me if a credit card fits in the middle gap?
i like using a guide like this because it's universal.
you need to hold the first fret and the last fret where the body and neck meet.

if you actually have too much gap, you should really adjust the truss rod.
if it's the same gap on both sides then your neck seems sound enough.
a slight lift of the back of the bridge is fine.
and you have to check the string contact point where the string breaks. see if there's a burr there.

A credit card does fit,, but it's tough to do that test without another person. I just checked it again and I'm estimating that there's about 2mm between the string and the 7th-9th fret on both sides (estimating because I can't hold the first and last fret down and hold up a ruler). It's possible that the neck has started to get more of a regular bow in it with the truss rod being inactive for so long.

I took the bridge off the guitar, but there aren't any screws or anything on it so I can't detach the top of the bridge from the steel block. From what I can see, there's a tiny burr on one of the contact points of the high e string, but like I said, the string breaks at the ball so I don't know if that effects anything. Could it be that the ball has had burrs or sharp edges and this has snapped the string?
1. i need you to do the credit card test, there's no way you're going to give me anything accurate trying to hold a rule while fretting two points.
so when you get the chance ask a parent or friend for help and get a good idea of the relief.

2. it could have been a bad set of strings. or there's a sharp point where the string breaks.
it's really as simple as that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
1. i need you to do the credit card test, there's no way you're going to give me anything accurate trying to hold a rule while fretting two points.
so when you get the chance ask a parent or friend for help and get a good idea of the relief.

2. it could have been a bad set of strings. or there's a sharp point where the string breaks.
it's really as simple as that.

1. A credit card fits into the space, but stays there from the tension of the string. In any case, unless anything has changed since I last tried, if I make the truss rod tighter then the strings can't be played because they end up in contact with the last few frets on each string.

2. It could've been. If it is, I'm guessing it's either a bad batch or a bad brand (D'addario). I currently have an .11 on the spot where the high e string would be because I don't have any .09s which I normally use (and where the rest of the set originates from). My guitar is tuned one tone down to compensate for the tightness of the high e string. Also, the nut buzz went away from me running a flat head screw driver through the groove in the nut to get rid of whatever was causing the buzzing. This is a temporary fix however: I'll most certainly get a new nut because the nut I have just isn't all that great as it is. Out of curiosity, what material would you recommend?
1. your truss rod needs to be turned 1/4 turn in a Counter Clockwise direction.

2. you flattened the cut of the nut, lowering the entry point of the string.
the string sits too low and causes buzz.

3. your strings are all mismatched.

you've got a lot going wrong with the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
1. your truss rod needs to be turned 1/4 turn in a Counter Clockwise direction.

2. you flattened the cut of the nut, lowering the entry point of the string.
the string sits too low and causes buzz.

3. your strings are all mismatched.

you've got a lot going wrong with the guitar.

I must've somehow missed the email notification for this. Anyway, I still have the problem of bending the string on my guitar, so I'm gonna make a necrobump and try and solve this problem.

1. What will that do? Give the neck more or less bow? Because I certainly don't need less bow: unless anything has changed since I played with the truss rod last, which was probably 2 months ago, any tightening of the truss rod causes the frets to come into contact with the strings which makes it impossible for me to play anything.

2. There's no string buzz: if I said there was, my bad. What happens is when I bend the 18th fret of the high e string any more than a semitone, it frets onto the 19th fret. I know some may say "Who cares, it's one fret, just be glad the rest of the guitar works"; I happen to bend a lot on those high notes

3. I've since changed the strings to a standard set of .09s. Nothing's changed. The use of the .13 as an e string was purely temporary.