I'm learning Leper Messiah, and you know that little bit before the verse where he plays F#5 and then stops the note. Well everytime I play that and stop i get this harmonic ring from the E string.

I stop the note but letting my fret hand relax and in other places when i do the same it works fine. So could someone tell me how to fix this, maybe with a new technique for stopping the notes.
I have an Ibanez 260 FM if that helps any.
volume knob...?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I had it on ten but just then i turned it down some. The ring wasn't as loud but it was still there. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by Bubbles516
I had it on ten but just then i turned it down some. The ring wasn't as loud but it was still there. Thanks for the advice.

no i mean to stop the notes all at once roll it all the way off really fast. this will give you time to completely stop the strings from vibrating, roll it back up, and do what you need to do. or you could mute it w/ both hands. depending on how much gain you use it's going to be quite difficult to completely stop the vibration the the string IMMEDIATELY w/o making some kind of noise. volume knob, volume pedal or killswitch. these are the things that will achieve what you're asking.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Either dampen the strings with your right hand, or just don't lift your left hand _as_ much when you dampen. Alternatively, try moving your fretting hand slightly up or down the neck when you dampen, as harmonics are very "place-specific" on the neck.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Also, turn down the gain a bit.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
When you "relax" your fret hand, rather that relaxing it in place (as in with your fingers still in place of the notes you just fretted), try placing a few fingers across the strings, like you're grabbing the neck, this should do it. Also, or alternatively, use your picking hand to deaden the strings, like palm muting, but further from the bridge.
Quote by SinnaSatan
Either dampen the strings with your right hand, or just don't lift your left hand _as_ much when you dampen. Alternatively, try moving your fretting hand slightly up or down the neck when you dampen, as harmonics are very "place-specific" on the neck.

that's another good call. i just suggested volume knob because i've definitely seen yngwie use it for immediate stops. it makes your hand placement matter a lot less. but i guess it all really depends on what's easier for you.
Quote by konfyouzd
no i mean to stop the notes all at once roll it all the way off really fast. this will give you time to completely stop the strings from vibrating, roll it back up, and do what you need to do. or you could mute it w/ both hands. depending on how much gain you use it's going to be quite difficult to completely stop the vibration the the string IMMEDIATELY w/o making some kind of noise. volume knob, volume pedal or killswitch. these are the things that will achieve what you're asking.

In this song you would have to be sick with the volume knob. I'm going to try using both hands, i'm having trouble coordinating it.

Irishman that seems to be working. Thanks man. I have Irish blood in me to by the way.
Keep suggesting though.
Last edited by Bubbles516 at Jul 22, 2009,
Whenever you want to stop all noice you need to mute with your left hand on the fretboard AND your right hand.

Just lay them over the strings and you will get no unwanted noise.
Quote by Bubbles516
In this song you would have to be sick with the volume knob. I'm going to try using both hands, i'm having trouble coordinating it.

with the both hands thing you'd want to do like a palm mute and then rest your fingers over the strings preferably not around 5, 7, or 12...
Quote by konfyouzd
with the both hands thing you'd want to do like a palm mute and then rest your fingers over the strings preferably not around 5, 7, or 12...

Correct....I usually rest my left hand around the 1,2,3 frets.