Hey guys.

I recently bought Guitar Hero: Metallica, and realised that most of their music appeals to me. For this reason I learnt how to play For Whom The Bell Tolls yesterday, and tried to get the tone. On my Line 6 Spider III 75w, there is a preset for that very song. It sounds good, but I feel like I need more distortion.

I went looking around on the internet, and saw that apparently Metallica uses Boss DS1 distortion pedals. I've heard good things about this pedal before I even looked it up, so I read some reviews and watched some demos. It sounds good, and the videos covered a lot of settings.

So my question is this. Y'know you're supposed to try out a guitar before you buy? To make sure it feels right, etc. Well if you've seen videos showing a pedal in action, and you hear the sound you want, do you need to go and try it out?

Thanks.
Quote by firestarter12
does any1 know where I can get a fender les paul? i always only see 1 or the other but i want one thats both.

Dont bothor running pedals into that amp.

You amp does NOT take pedals well. You would be better off selling the amp and getting something better.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
that amp is the way it is. it's a starter, with preset gains, that you either like or dont.

like said, trying to add a pedal isnt going to work.

instead try working with your EQ.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i have the very same amp, and brought the boss ds1 distortion, and it makes no difference at all, you literally couldnt here any difference whether when it was on off.
Boost the highs and lows and cut the mids on you Sh*tty amp.

Edit: I actually read somewhere that Hammet used a tube screamer in the early years.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by DiizZ
Dont bothor running pedals into that amp.

You amp does NOT take pedals well. You would be better off selling the amp and getting something better.

Ok, well how about, instead of getting a distortion pedal or anything like that, I just get a pedal to change channels? Because I currently can't change from distorted to clean quickly. Man it's annoying. So I was thinking the Line 6 FBV Express. That's ahmade specifically for Line 6 amps, and it has a Wah Pedal.
Quote by firestarter12
does any1 know where I can get a fender les paul? i always only see 1 or the other but i want one thats both.

even ifu were to geta nice tube amp or whateva. DONT GET THE DS-1. IT's Treason and a terrible pedal i think. i mean, it can do, but for metallica stuff and variety, ur better getting sumthing else besides that orange pedal
Quote by simking
i have the very same amp, and brought the boss ds1 distortion, and it makes no difference at all, you literally couldnt here any difference whether when it was on off.

Thanks for letting me know.
Quote by firestarter12

Just increase the gain on the amp? Doesnt sound too hard to me...
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
i wouldnt spend too much on a foot pedal. (to change channels)

most work with most amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Just increase the gain on the amp? Doesnt sound too hard to me...

I think the gain is maxed already.
Quote by firestarter12

Quote by jj1565
i wouldnt spend too much on a foot pedal. (to change channels)

most work with most amps.

OK thanks. Could you recommend me some cheap pedals that just change channels? I'm more bothered about that than effects ATM.
Quote by firestarter12

Quote by jj1565
that amp is the way it is. it's a starter, with preset gains, that you either like or dont.

like said, trying to add a pedal isnt going to work.

instead try working with your EQ.

+1

Metallica in general is a pretty easy tone to get. But to make it get exact to theres then you need to spend thousands... So just get it close by tweaking the eq like stated and enjoy the amp you have.

By the sounds of it your are just now learning your way and branching out. So until you find your way no need in buying amps you might change your mind on in a month..

Good luck

Also for settings check the line 6 forums im sure there are tons of decent metallica settings..
Quote by Obder
OK thanks. Could you recommend me some cheap pedals that just change channels? I'm more bothered about that than effects ATM.

you'll find them if you look for footswitch, and not pedal.

do a quick search see if you can find guys that have successfully used "hosa" or similar switches to change the channels on your model amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 23, 2009,
I've got the Line 6 Spider III 75w and it's okayy... Would've prefered something else, but Line 6 are cheap and give a good wattage for the price, and I needed a gig amp so you know...
Still a bit of a mistake :L
Oh and yeah, it runs pedals terribly, unless they're Line 6 pedals (surprise surprise -.-)
My Gear...
Guitars:
-BC Rich Warlock
-Washburn WI16 G15
-Fender Strat
-Vintage V8BRQ

Amps:
-Line 6 Spider III 75w

Peds:
-Line 6 FBV Express MK II

ROCK ON SIRS!