Last edited by ptftball24 at Jul 22, 2009,
marshall haze full stack, in tubes more watts doesnt mean more volume
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by ptftball24
will something like a 40-50w tube be loud enough..?

Definetely loud enough
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
definatly go for a tube amp, with that sort of budget there`s just too many options, but a starting point is what are the bands that you listen to using, that should narrow down your options significantly, you`ve got and go and try stuff out though.
That's an excellent budget for an excellent 50 watt or more tube amp, particularly if you go used.

It's even enough to buy a good 100 watt head, although a cab must be factored in as well...
30-50w tubes will definitely sort you, more than that will be too big and give you problems at home/with your hearing. - take a look at post #7 on the which amp sticky - that'll give you a good idea of where you should look

Solid states can be very nice, but aren't really used much in that style of music (they do a fair bit of jazz though) so i would go tube if you want the sound of those bands.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
and should i get a stack or a combo... i dont think i have enough to afford a decent stack
Quote by doive
30-50w tubes will definitely sort you, more than that will be too big and give you problems at home/with your hearing. - take a look at post #7 on the which amp sticky - that'll give you a good idea of where you should look

Solid states can be very nice, but aren't really used much in that style of music (they do a fair bit of jazz though) so i would go tube if you want the sound of those bands.

Ewwwwwwww porcupine tree

But on topic, Id go tube... and I personally will when I can find the money to upgrade my rig.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by ptftball24
Ive been looking for a new amp and i still dont know if i want a solid state or a tube..
tubes cleary have a much better sound than solid states but they're pretty pricey..
my budget is around 800 to maybe 1000. i want it to be loud enough to play a gig with and to be able to practice in my band.

i play alot of styles but mostly hardcore like a day to remember or a7x. i also do pop/punk stuff.

sorry about alll of the text but i just dont wanna blow that much money on a crap amp
any suggestion would be great
thanks

define much better sound. didn't dimebag use solid state amps?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
It's not about versatility, it's about YOUR tone. Having a ton of knobs and channels doesn't necessarily mean it's got your sound totally nailed. I went from a Mesa Trem0verb to a Budda Superdrive-18 front panel knobs down to 6-and have been much happier and more dialed in.

The truth, when dealing with guitars and amps, is that you really need to play as many examples as possible and find what really fits you. None of us on here can do more than make suggestions; the axe and the amp have to be right by your ears.

That said, tube amps are certainly my favorite. For Hardcore, I'd check Marshall and especially Laney.
Great tone is its own drug.
A good solid state is better than a **** tube amp. Thats my 2c
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Marshall
Fender
Blackstar
Blackheart
Line 6
Bogner
Bugera
Peavey
Ceriatone (handbuilt Marshall and other amp clones)
Splawn
and a bunch of other brands.

For the most versitile tube amp, i would say Line 6 Spider Tube (versitile = yes, crap = yes)

Oh btw at dimebag's tone, IMO it sucked, it was like a chainsaw mating with a lawnmower. Great player, bad tone.
what makes tube or solid state better? i just thought they were options that would provide different tones.

even within either of the 2 categories there are a plethora of tones.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I have a Peavey Delta Blues 30W tube and that has plenty of sound to it. We actually run a guitar and bass through a mixer then use the amp as the speaker for both because we don't have a bass amp. The sound is loud and good and its not even half way turned up.

Tube is the way to go.
Quote by ptftball24
anddd one more thing what are some good names to look at.

marshall, messa boogie, peavey, blackstar, engl and krank
go wid a Peavey Valvestate...its more amp and power than u'll ever need...
[IMG]http://www.sickonthebus.com/images/hell_skull_index.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by Judas_rising at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by Judas_rising

You mean the Vypyr Tube?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
so no one can answer my question, i see...

this kind of leads me to believe that no one in here knows what they're talking about. feel free to prove me wrong. i look forward to it.
Quote by ptftball24
whats are some good tube names to look at.. like mesa and whatnot

There are a ton of variables to account to. No one amp is better then the other..

Example

1/4 watt tube amp cranked can still be to loud for most homes.. So can a 1/4 watt cranked SS amp. So stating go with 50 watt tube over a 100 watt tube is also furthest from the truth. Both are to loud for home use. When that comes into play is headroom.. Metal guys need the headroom so they dont go into power tube saturation and classic rock guys like less headroom to go into power tube saturation.

At moderate levels SS amps shine because they generally sound the same at any level but you still need headroom to avoid clipping.

So it all depends on who you live with, where you live, how you play and what you play.. You cant say for sure tube is the clear winner without knowing all he variables. Same thing can be said for SS amps.

Quote by Judas_rising

When did Peavey and Marshall mate lol

Quote by konfyouzd

this kind of leads me to believe that no one in here knows what they're talking about. feel free to prove me wrong. i look forward to it.

Harmonics plan and simple....
that didn't answer my question at all...
Difference.
Tube amos tend to have a warmer sound and when overdriven give a reliable, rich sound. SS amps are freat for clean sounds but when driven their distortion is seldom as pleasant.
Wattage rating is effectively a bit different, too. A valve amp will distort progressively whereas a SAS amp stays clean up to the overload level and then gives its harsh distortion. Now, wattage is rated on an amps performance up to a given distortion level. This is effectively lower on a valve amp as the distortion comes in at a lower level. Theoretically then, a valve amp at the permitted distortion level may be only 1/2 or 2/3 of its power. A SS amp will go to almost full power before it reaches the same distortion level. Then it has nothing much left. So a 30w tube amp may be louder than a SS amp of 60 to 100w. Add to that the varying speaker efficiencies used and you are getting into some massive complications. A Vox AC30, for instance, is louder than many 50w+ valve amps from some other brands.
One other factor to consider is that Watts is a misleading rating of loudness. It is NOT a linear scale in that a 50w amp is not half the loudness of a 100w amp of the same model. It is more like 10% less.
At the end of the day there is no better way to find out than by going into the soundproof room in a guitar store and comparing for yourself.

Phew. I guess that is why everyone shunned your question.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Difference.
Tube amos tend to have a warmer sound and when overdriven give a reliable, rich sound. SS amps are freat for clean sounds but when driven their distortion is seldom as pleasant.
Wattage rating is effectively a bit different, too. A valve amp will distort progressively whereas a SAS amp stays clean up to the overload level and then gives its harsh distortion. Now, wattage is rated on an amps performance up to a given distortion level. This is effectively lower on a valve amp as the distortion comes in at a lower level. Theoretically then, a valve amp at the permitted distortion level may be only 1/2 or 2/3 of its power. A SS amp will go to almost full power before it reaches the same distortion level. Then it has nothing much left. So a 30w tube amp may be louder than a SS amp of 60 to 100w. Add to that the varying speaker efficiencies used and you are getting into some massive complications. A Vox AC30, for instance, is louder than many 50w+ valve amps from some other brands.
One other factor to consider is that Watts is a misleading rating of loudness. It is NOT a linear scale in that a 50w amp is not half the loudness of a 100w amp of the same model. It is more like 10% less.
At the end of the day there is no better way to find out than by going into the soundproof room in a guitar store and comparing for yourself.

Phew. I guess that is why everyone shunned your question.

thanks. that was a lot of information.

and i'm wondering if people were shunning my question because they didn't feel like typing all of that or if they're just blindly adhering to what other people have told them and didn't know any of that.
Quote by konfyouzd
define much better sound. didn't dimebag use solid state amps?

yes, for most of his carreer, but his tone for the most part was terrible.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
yes, for most of his carreer, but his tone for the most part was terrible.

that's highly subjective. i liked his tone.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Sure it does... Its the reason Lurcher post makes since...

... dammit.
Quote by konfyouzd
and i'm wondering if people were shunning my question because they didn't feel like typing all of that or if they're just blindly adhering to what other people have told them and didn't know any of that.

Or because people here have played both SS and tube amps, and know which ones GENERALLY sound better. Stop looking for reasons to say no one here knows their ****. Just like anything else, there are some very knowledgeable people here, and some people that know nothing, and everything in between.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I like the Mesa Boogie Boogie 50. You can find them used for about 600-900.

I also like the Fender Deluxe (or Twin) reverb. They take pedals really well, and the vibrato inputs are just killer.
Quote by konfyouzd

maybe you shouldn't jack other peoples threads.

btw. how many professional guitarists use ss amps? not too many. how many use tube amps? lots.

think about it
Quote by tubetime86
Or because people here have played both SS and tube amps, and know which ones GENERALLY sound better. Stop looking for reasons to say no one here knows their ****. Just like anything else, there are some very knowledgeable people here, and some people that know nothing, and everything in between.

well then answer the goddamn ? and people won't say those kinds of things. plus when someone says what's better: tube or solid state? and you just say tube and then i ask why and no one answers it looks like you don't know what you're talking about.

i didn't see you jumping to answer the question, mr. know-it-all
Quote by Souls United
maybe you shouldn't jack other peoples threads.

btw. how many professional guitarists use ss amps? not too many. how many use tube amps? lots.

think about it

using something because someone else does isn't a good reason... zakk wylde uses gibson guitars and emg pickups... let's all go out and buy those now because he's a pro and he uses them...

i don't see what's so wrong about asking a question related to the topic. it makes a helluva lot more sense than starting a whole new thread. what if my question helped out the TS in some way? and even if it didn't, my question was relevant so i think you might just need to deal with it.

don't get offended when you fail to answer a question and your knowledge of the subject matter is questioned. prove me otherwise... don't whine about it and substantiate my claim.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 22, 2009,
Page 1 of 2