I really wanna play piano, but it's not like guitar. Guitar is so easy because we have ultimate-guitar and tabs everywhere, but I can't find piano scores anywhere! =(. It's so frustrating; I can't even find sheet music for love song by sara bareilles and that's like one of the most popular contemporary piano songs. I don't have money to afford a piano teacher, and I can't teach myself piano because it's not like guitar where all your resources are online, and I can't figure out the chords of love song by ear >.< Without piano scores, I have absolutely no inspiration to learn piano because I get frustrated very easy trying to figure out the chords by ear, and then after an hour I just quit because i can't figure them out! =( Are there any good sites with free sheet music where you don't have to download something and where it's not illegal to download the stuff?
i just grab the chords for songs from here, then play on piano. figuring out the melody lines and stuff is not that hard if you know the chords for the song.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
i just grab the chords for songs from here, then play on piano. figuring out the melody lines and stuff is not that hard if you know the chords for the song.

yea do this...
I've been playing the piano for 14 years...and if I can do it, then you can too...
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
neither is really easier than the other. learn 8 finger tapping. it's kind of like piano. the difference really is that on piano the right hand is the one that does all the work and the left is more like the rhythm hand (although for some songs both hands have one hell of a job to do). guitar is the exact opposite.

getting your hands used to that will probably be the hardest part. but that's why it'd be a good idea to learn 8 finger tapping on guitar. it'll help build dexterity on your right hand on an instrument that's not foreign to you. plus it's just cool stuff.

oh and if you want to learn chords (i know you said you don't wanna learn them by ear), but just pluck them out on guitar, figure out what the notes are and then play those notes simultaneously on the piano.

for songs that i write requiring a piano part, i usually write the piano parts on guitar in sections and then record them all together. (they could probably be played all together but i do them in sections since i'm horrible at playing piano)
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by HuckIt
yea do this...
I've been playing the piano for 14 years...and if I can do it, then you can too...

yeah i just started playing piano a few months ago, so i am not that good, but i find it works for every popular song. for more intricate instrumental pieces, i dont really know where to turn.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I usually buy books from my local guitar shop. Well...local music shop anyway. They have almost anything, but it is expensive :\
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
Yeah I have guitar pro, and I've found some piano songs on it. I use it for guitar a ton. I just have to get better at reading sheet music.
suck it up..i cant even learn guitar.

i really suck huh.

good luck with piano!
the most difficult thing with the piano, for me, is the whole doing different things with different hands. as in, keeping the rhythm with my left hand and doing more intricate melody lines with the right... still havent learned that properly.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
All you need to know for sheet music is on a treble clef the middle line is B, the line below the bottom line is middle C and the line above the top line is an A. You just then spend a little time working it out in your head then you can easily remember what you have to play rather than relying on the entire score all the time.
Quote by Demon Wolf
the most difficult thing with the piano, for me, is the whole doing different things with different hands. as in, keeping the rhythm with my left hand and doing more intricate melody lines with the right... still havent learned that properly.

8 finger tapping... learn it... love it...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Playing the piano is not as hard as eight finger tapping. Ive got to admit "8 finger tapping" is entirely the wrong mindset for the piano its hard to explain but to be as good on a piano as you are on a guitar you have to go from the "touching one fret" mindset to more of a "manipulating an area" mindset that is mainly focused on the area covered by the span of your fingers, playing an arpeggio on a piano shows the mindset im talking about.

Good piano playing is about intelligently moving the 10-12 key area covered by your hand up and down the keyboard while pressing the correct keys not through fingers but with wrists.
I just translate the tabs into guitar notes, then search for that on the piano and slowly work my way through, i also use guitar pro for that purpose to.
:P I suck at piano, my hands can't move that fast and play multiple notes. I see people on YouTube who play riffs to songs that I can't even do, then they do chords that sound like the vocals on a single hand!

I can play Don't Fear the Reaper though.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Quote by RedFez64
Playing the piano is not as hard as eight finger tapping. Ive got to admit "8 finger tapping" is entirely the wrong mindset for the piano its hard to explain but to be as good on a piano as you are on a guitar you have to go from the "touching one fret" mindset to more of a "manipulating an area" mindset that is mainly focused on the area covered by the span of your fingers, playing an arpeggio on a piano shows the mindset im talking about.

Good piano playing is about intelligently moving the 10-12 key area covered by your hand up and down the keyboard while pressing the correct keys not through fingers but with wrists.

they're the same concept depending on how you choose to hold your hands. and i was using it more as an example as to how one could build dexterity in their right hand being that the hands assume opposite roles on the guitar (typically) from the roles they assume on piano.

and i fail to see what you mean by the "touching one fret vs manipulating an entire area"...

if you look at a fretboard it's more or less several rows of keys... and the half steps aren't smaller keys... instead every key is a half step.

i've never seen anyone play the piano with their wrists alone. i know what you mean but your fingers are heavily involved unless i was heavily drugged every time i've seen someone play a piano... also, the wrists are very involved in playing the guitar as well. i've been realizing that more and more lately.

how you hold your wrist means a lot in terms of how many notes you can reach without changing your hand position and how quickly you can hit them.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by Demon Wolf

This man speaks the truth. Assuming you are in possession of a penis.
PIANO SCORES? Wtf. Learn to read sheet music. I'm sure you can fork over the $2 for the song, but there is plenty of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. which imo is much better.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.