I love my C-1 Classic, its one of the best feeling guitars i've ever held and the action is insanely low with minimal buzz. However, the pickups don't have as much crunch as I would like. They're great for jazz and rock but I'm considering switching them out for Seymour Duncan Blackouts for some serious metal.

Obviously I'm going to have to have some work done if I decide to go ahead with this. I'm guessing the cavity will have to be expanded? Im hoping that I'll be able to trade in my current stock SD's for the Blackouts or at least cover most of the cost.

So basically, Im wondering what it'll take to go from passive to active pups and how much it'll cost.

Edit: Thanks for all the replies, I'm not anywhere near a guitar shop for awhile but the first thing I do when I am is check out some new amps.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Last edited by leftyace at Jul 22, 2009,
it'll cost you the price of the pickups, nothing needs to be routed or anything. if you take it to someone to install them for you they'll tell you it needs to be routed, but they're just trying to get more money out of you. generally routing gets expensive.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
So basically this will cost me almost nothing if i'm able to get a decent price for my old SD's? For some reason I thought that there was more work that went into switching from passive to active. Awesome, thanks

its about how talented you or the person installing them is. You need new pots for the active pickups too. BUt if you can fit the battery in the body cavity already then there is no routing required
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Hm, alrighty. Anyone know what pots I'll need for Blackouts and roughly how much they'll run me?

They should come with the new active pickups as well as a new input jack and battery clip I think.
i think pots come with the new pickups, am i wrong?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
When changing between active and passive pickups, the control pots and jack need to be changed too. You'll also need to make sure there's enough room somewhere for the battery box.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by randomhero93
i think pots come with the new pickups, am i wrong?

i think they do as well.
Putting in my own opinion through use of sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKjGnApeZE

Saw this in an earlier thread that confirmed my suspicions that pickups really only help to accentuate a tone you already like.

The amp is the tone, not the pickups, hence I put forth MY opinion of don't think about pickups until you are happy with your tone, quite a catch 22 however.

In summary, don't bother with replacing pickups until you have amps and pedals you are satisfied with.

(I am really surprised no one has said this yet, I know it's a slight digression from the actual question the TS asked, but I thought it needed to be said)
Quote by mikeyElite
i think they do as well, as long as you buy the set and not individual pickups.

As I recall even the singley-packaged EMGs come with a volume and tone pot, plus the output jack and the tone cap. The Duncans usually come in sets.

I will say though, if you poke around eBay or look around forums you can score EMGs on the super cheap... I got my 81-85 for $60 and a set of 707s for $90. One might argue that the Blackouts sound better, but paying 1/3 the price for at least 3/4 the tone is a WAY better idea in my book, especially if you're a poor penniless putz like me xD.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Jul 22, 2009,
yeah, right before you posted i remembered that and edited. thanks
Quote by leftyace
I love my C-1 Classic, its one of the best feeling guitars i've ever held and the action is insanely low with minimal buzz. However, the pickups don't have as much crunch as I would like. They're great for jazz and rock but I'm considering switching them out for Seymour Duncan Blackouts for some serious metal.

Obviously I'm going to have to have some work done if I decide to go ahead with this. I'm guessing the cavity will have to be expanded? Im hoping that I'll be able to trade in my current stock SD's for the Blackouts or at least cover most of the cost.

So basically, Im wondering what it'll take to go from passive to active pups and how much it'll cost.

Thanks

Do you think that might possibly be caused by the amp you play out of? I dig the sound of passive pups through a high gain amp. That's just preference though...
you can achieve crunch w/o going active. i play emgs as well as dimarzios.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
My post seems to have gone invisible!

But yeah, its definately the amp, theres no point polishing a turd.

Unless you're a Mythbuster, they can polish turds.
If your using the raven amp and multiFX on your profile your gonna be really disappointed with the pickup swap. If you have real SD passives vs SD designed you should be able to get plenty of good tone out of your guitar. In this case its the amp holding you back.
Quote by Jonny Yuma
Putting in my own opinion through use of sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKjGnApeZE

Saw this in an earlier thread that confirmed my suspicions that pickups really only help to accentuate a tone you already like.

The amp is the tone, not the pickups, hence I put forth MY opinion of don't think about pickups until you are happy with your tone, quite a catch 22 however.

In summary, don't bother with replacing pickups until you have amps and pedals you are satisfied with.

(I am really surprised no one has said this yet, I know it's a slight digression from the actual question the TS asked, but I thought it needed to be said)

Wow...and that was only with a PODxt? That's a little insane.
About the amp and such, I dont really have a problem with the sound i'm getting its the palm muting and stuff. If I play my friends RR3 w/ EMG 81/85s I can get some amazing crunchy Palm muting but when I try to do the same with my Schecter the sound is just muted, not much crunch at all.

He has a Line6 Spider but would the difference in amps make such a big difference in crunch?

Oh, and if anyone can give me a rough estimate of installation costs that'll be awesome, thanks.
EDIT: Someone mentioned if whether I have real SD's or Duncan Designed. They're real passive SD's, JB/ '59 set. They're supposedly what SD uses himself or something

Last edited by leftyace at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by leftyace
About the amp and such, I dont really have a problem with the sound i'm getting its the palm muting and stuff. If I play my friends RR3 w/ EMG 81/85s I can get some amazing crunchy Palm muting but when I try to do the same with my Schecter the sound is just muted, not much crunch at all.

He has a Line6 Spider but would the difference in amps make such a big difference in crunch?

Oh, and if anyone can give me a rough estimate of installation costs that'll be awesome, thanks.

what is the rhoads made of and what is the schecter you're playing made of? you may like the sound of the EMGs in his guitar but not in your own.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by leftyace

EDIT: Someone mentioned if whether I have real SD's or Duncan Designed. They're real passive SD's, JB/ '59 set. They're supposedly what SD uses himself or something

if you've got real SD's in your guitar now consider an amp upgrade before pickups, it'll make a world of difference for your tone.
Quote by mikeyElite
if you've got real SD's in your guitar now consider an amp upgrade before pickups, it'll make a world of difference for your tone.

+1

yea you shouldn't have a problem with getting some crunch out of SDs. check the amp. also, not to insult your intelligence, but active pickups like the EMGs are a bit more compressed and thus will lend themselves to a crunchier tone no matter what, i think. have you tried playing around with amp settings? you were comparing a passive pup to an active and passives are significantly fatter sounding usually.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by konfyouzd
what is the rhoads made of and what is the schecter you're playing made of? you may like the sound of the EMGs in his guitar but not in your own.

Im almost certain the Rhoads is Alder, my C-1 is Mahogany

Quote by leftyace
Im almost certain the Rhoads is Alder, my C-1 is Mahogany

that probably plays a part i the tonal differences as well. by the way, the cost of installing active pups is about $50/pickup. i forgot to answer that for you earlier. try scooping the mids on your amp eq and see if it crunches more.
Thanks, I'll try playing around with the settings more but I doubt it'll make that much of a difference. 50 a piece sounds like a little much just for installation but at this time its just an idea, thanks for the feedback.

Quote by leftyace

Considering amp plays a big part of your tone then yeah it would make a big difference in your crunch. Though that doesn't mean you should buy a line 6 spider since their are so many amps that are made for the bro0talz out there.
Quote by konfyouzd
that probably plays a part i the tonal differences as well. by the way, the cost of installing active pups is about $50/pickup. i forgot to answer that for you earlier. try scooping the mids on your amp eq and see if it crunches more.

Scooped mids does not yield more 'crunch'... if the tone stack is placed before the distortion stage of the preamp then if anything it'll yield less crunch. If the tonestack is post-preamp then it'll just make it sound like Pantera-ized shyte.

Also, the installation for the pickups is FREE if you know how to use a soldering iron... if you've never done it before and you have a bit of patience and ability to read a diagram then you'll succeed.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Jul 23, 2009,
the JB/59 set is a good set man imo. i have them in my schecter C1 blackjack, and i love them. the JB has a great deal of crunch. personally, i dont like actives. i used to have active in my C1FR and i swapped them for passive duncans, and it was a world of difference. this is just my opinion. they really dont make much of a difference at all, its just preferance.

did you ever say what amp that you have?
Quote by Mo Jiggity
Scooped mids does not yield more 'crunch'... if the tone stack is placed before the distortion stage of the preamp then if anything it'll yield less crunch. If the tonestack is post-preamp then it'll just make it sound like Pantera-ized shyte.

Also, the installation for the pickups is FREE if you know how to use a soldering iron... if you've never done it before and you have a bit of patience and ability to read a diagram then you'll succeed.

hmm... didn't know all that about the amp stuff... i've always been able to fiddle around with my amp and get the tone i want more or less and taking out some of the mids tends to make it crunch a little more for me. who knows?

as for the pups... *i* know how to install pickups but it didn't sound like TS does.

@TS: every time i've had actives installed they've charged me about $50/pickup. and most places charged like $45 for passives. i think it's just incentive to spend $20 on a soldering iron and call it a day.
Right now I'm using the gear in my sig. I'm working on an island this summer (worse than it sounds) and i'm not able to get to a shop until fall. For the record I'm not interested in a Line6 Spider, my next amp will hopefully be a decent tube.

I haven't installed pickups before but I gotta learn sometime so I dont have a problem doing it myself. From the little i've read it doesn't seem too difficult with a little patience.

Last edited by leftyace at Jul 23, 2009,
To me Seymour Duncan JB TB4 sounds better than emgs on a ss amp. EMGs wont be much better i used to have a dkmg with emgs and imo rr3 gets way better tone with passives.
Gear:

Jackson rr3
Peavey vypyr 30
Monster rock cable
^ What about through a tube amp? I know that actives aren't the best through a SS but im curious to know how the comparison is with tubes.

^ To my ears and your ears it may be different.
Some say passives sound more natural and t so sterile and compressed and actives. Also generally, actives make all guitars sound the same, mostly the same. Try them at a music store.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I never owned a tube amp so cant help you with that but with a vypyr 30 id take my passives over emgs any day.
Gear:

Jackson rr3
Peavey vypyr 30
Monster rock cable
Thats true about actives making guitars sound very similar. I guess I don't want to give up my guitars tone. Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll take some time to try out different amps before deciding whetehr or not i'll make the switch to Blackouts.