now, everyobody knows you need a good press kit to get some good gigs... So i compiled an EPK on sonicbids and have sent it to 8 venues via email, and so far... no responses (emailed on Friday and wednesday respectively)...

I realize the big obstacle may be... we have no press. No articles written about us or anything. That presents itself as an inhibitor- No press = no gigs. No gigs = no press.... What do I do?
I e-mailed them to the emails listed on all the websites and in my musician's atlas that were designated under booking as where you are supposed to email
I've found a good way to get press is to go to smaller outlets. A big city newspaper is not going to write up a random local band, because in most big cities, there are literally thousands of local bands.
To get press, I've contacted arts writers at suburban newspapers, websites, and college papers. I didn't care how many people read it; I just needed the articles to build up my press pack.
Koslack you tapped into the one thing i was too stubborn enough to do... Should I just send them brief bios about the band or give them tapes?
Also if you are going straight to the venue with this. Try heading down to the venue and talking with the owner, or calling them to maybe set up a time to check you guys out. It will probably be a lot more efficient.
Check for "Taking a Picture (Won't capture this)
Give me some recorded song of you and i'll give a very positive review on it and sign it with some fake good sounding name.

like said, talk straight to th owner
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I find it's better to arrange a meet. I usually ask the writer if they'd like to meet for a drink or two, give them a demo/bio, buy em a beer, and chat them up. That way, they a) will be inclined to write nice things about us, b) will get some good quotes, and c) will have a lasting impression should they need material/quotes for a future article (local papers LOVE to quote local artists, no matter what they're writing about).
Great points, Koslack!

I agree, you have to start of with things like community entertainment rags, campus media, etc. The NY Times or Roling Stone ain't writin' about some band with no story, right?

As far as gigs and stuff to send your EPK.... contact the venues you might play at. Get the name of the person - yes, their name.... so you can use it when you address it to him or her - that makes the decisions about bands. Sometimes it is the venue that chooses them (and not necessarily the owner). Sometimes, they'll rely on an outside talent-buyer (promoter, whatever). It really depends. You can't make sweeping generalizations.

You don't need press to get gigs, but it certainly does add to your credibility factor. You need to sell your band to that venue/promoter/whatever such that they will be confident that they will make money when you come and play. They really don't care how good you are, so long as you bring people.

Very few clubs these days have an 'automatic audience' where the band just shows up and there are a ton of people to play to.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Amen guys.
We're still at that really shot stage where we need to start getting fans ... We dont have a legit rep as an unselable band yet - the problem is, we dont have a legitimately huge fanbase of consistent gig-goers- so that puts us in a real spot. How do you pitch to venue owners/promoters that you are going to make them money when you can't get people to go. It would also help if more than one of us could drive... which won't be an issue after this month- but really its just this culmination of crap. We have a 5 song demo recorded at a studio which needs mastering and artwork... once that is done we need to get a legitimate press kit with legitimate press... and possibly an agent.
I come to you guys so often with crap- i'm sorry if it can be bothersome, but i'm so dedicated to this craft that i just need some guidance
Quote by Highwaytohell
Amen guys.
We're still at that really shot stage where we need to start getting fans ... We dont have a legit rep as an unselable band yet - the problem is, we dont have a legitimately huge fanbase of consistent gig-goers- so that puts us in a real spot. How do you pitch to venue owners/promoters that you are going to make them money when you can't get people to go. It would also help if more than one of us could drive... which won't be an issue after this month- but really its just this culmination of crap. We have a 5 song demo recorded at a studio which needs mastering and artwork... once that is done we need to get a legitimate press kit with legitimate press... and possibly an agent.
I come to you guys so often with crap- i'm sorry if it can be bothersome, but i'm so dedicated to this craft that i just need some guidance

Lets put it into the perspective of a 17 year old.

Ok, so I listened to your band on Myspace. You guys sound good. But, you sound like you're straight out of the 80's except you were all born in the 90's I probably wouldn't go to see you guys. Just saying... You guys are good, but its not something I really could be like "Wow, I love this music." Its just out of style and not going to catch on hugely with a younger age group.

So that is putting you into appealing to people who are probably your parents age. How are you going to do this? Sure, some of them might have myspace, facebook, etc, but not a lot. Its going to be harder to build up a fan base. Find other bands that sound like you guys that are already playing gigs in your area, see if you could play a show with them sometime. It will help you get somewhat of a fanbase, because those people going to see them will like your style of music.

Driving isn't that huge an issue. My band hauls everything in a neon and a minivan. As you said, it won't be an issue after next month anyways.

Anyways, I'm not trying to make it seem like I'm bashing you or anything, I'm just being honest that you're going to have to appeal to an older audience.
HTH
I don't know if you want to do this, but a couple of bands around here play 2-3 benefits/fundraisers a year. They get press. They also get to meet the press to some extent. One of my friends was a DJ, before clear channel type co.s took over. He said they got tons of press packages, and most never got looked at. Getting any media to pay attention to you is difficult. Even more difficult is directing what press you may get to an audience that will come see you play. How it works is different everywhere. Be creative, and persistent.
Quote by Souls United
Lets put it into the perspective of a 17 year old.

Ok, so I listened to your band on Myspace. You guys sound good. But, you sound like you're straight out of the 80's except you were all born in the 90's I probably wouldn't go to see you guys. Just saying... You guys are good, but its not something I really could be like "Wow, I love this music." Its just out of style and not going to catch on hugely with a younger age group.

So that is putting you into appealing to people who are probably your parents age. How are you going to do this? Sure, some of them might have myspace, facebook, etc, but not a lot. Its going to be harder to build up a fan base. Find other bands that sound like you guys that are already playing gigs in your area, see if you could play a show with them sometime. It will help you get somewhat of a fanbase, because those people going to see them will like your style of music.

Driving isn't that huge an issue. My band hauls everything in a neon and a minivan. As you said, it won't be an issue after next month anyways.

Anyways, I'm not trying to make it seem like I'm bashing you or anything, I'm just being honest that you're going to have to appeal to an older audience.

It would probably be worth it to hook up with some bar bands...
Hmm. Would online reviews count as press? If you have some form of professional recording, you can find websites and stuff that cater to your genre and try to get reviews. For example, for metal bands, there are people on the Metal Archives forums who will accept recordings in exchange for a review.

Hell, Ultimate Guitar hosts reviews. So if you can get in contact with a reviewer, you might be able to get something up here.

This applies to magazines too. If you know there's a local music magazine that does reviews, send in your stuff for consideration. Granted, if you get bad reviews it doesn't help, but you won't get anything if you don't try.
Quote by blue_strat
You need to send it to promoters, not venues.

This
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Reviews can be a double-edged sword. If a good review is valid, so is a bad review. This is where it can get complicated. What do you do if someone publishes something negative about your band?
... and hope that:

1. It is a source that nobody reads
2. by extension of #1, but not necessarily... that no promoters, etc. actually saw the review
3. even if they did see the review, they took no notice and will not remember the name of the band when it comes around again.

@music man - you didn't see post #10 above on this same page, did you?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Geez, I guess I shouldn't put the traps out. Well done axeman.
HTH, I'm messin' with you a bit. I know you are serious. I'm a jerk.
It was an important question. Good call.

This made me think of something else.... don't pester people for reviews. If you ask them once or twice, leave it at that. Sometimes (often times) the reason they don't review something is because they don't want to give it a bad review.

If they don't like it, and you're being a pest, the consequence will be that you get what you ask for.

CT