I'm looking to buy a Washburn Idol and i've come across the WI200 Pro E at a really good price. As i can't afford a new amp as well, i'm stuck with my old Marshall Valvestate 8080. I was just wondering how the EMG's would get on with it or should i hold out for a model that has the Seymour Duncans?
Last edited by ozi76 at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by ozi76
I'm looking to buy a Washburn Idol and i've come across the WI200 Pro E at a really good price. As i can't afford a new amp as well, i'm stuck with my old Marshall Valvestate 8080. I was just wondering how the EMG's would get on with it or should i hold out for a model that has the Seymour Duncans. I know the EMG's are geared more towards metal and i do play some metal but also rock, indie, blues etc.

Is this even a question? Of course it will...
EMGs will sound fine so long as you know that you'll have to work with your EQ to make it sound as such. That is, don't expect your settings for another guitar with passives to sound good with the EMGs.

Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
Is this even a question? Of course it will...

It's a valid question... traditionally held "wisdom" says that you need a high-end all-tube amp running balls out distorted in order to get good tone with a set of EMGs, although it's not true at all.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Cheers, that traditionally held "wisdom" was the reason i was a bit dubious about getting EMG's.
Due to the variety of styles you play and your amp you would be way better off putting your EMG money towards a better amp.