Alright, so after much contemplation and months of deciding I've come to a near decision (but probably not haha)

Gibson SG Bass

orr

Fender American Jazz

I've played both, and liked both.
I play in a pop punk band, so the trebly sound is sort of what I'm going for, which I know is aquired easier with the jazz, however, I'm loving the SG (and I found a pretty decent deal on one as well)

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Note: I also play various styles outside of pop punk including pretty much anything and everything.
Well, how good is the deal on the sg?

But I would go with the fender regardless. Find one on craigslist.
The SG is brand new w/ hardcase for about a Grand
I could probably find about the same deal on the fender, (if not better)

If I were to go with a Fender Jazz, would it be a big difference if I just bought a Mexican Made?
I understand the quality is somewhat different?
As I understand it, some of the MIM Fenders are akin to Squiers, so...

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Well in that case.. haha.

Some squires I've tried aren't half bad. I own the Classic Vibe 50's P bass and it actually sounds really good (although I'm trying to sell it since I'm not a fan of bigger necks).
The MIM Fenders are good, but if I got one, it'd have to be the active Jazz.
Out of the two basses, the Fender can get a larger variety of tones & is likely to be better balanced & the SG is more unusual looking (in general I havn't seen many SG basses live). I expect that both basses have tones that can be used for alot of different music, so just play them more & decide wich you like the feel of more.
It should be against the law to compare these two basses.

The Squier Affinity jazz bass is still infinitely better than the Gibson EB3, I know, I tried both in a shop on the same amp with new strings.
i wouldnt know the MIM to much - the MIJ strat (guitar for those un-aware) is a **** of alot better then the MIA strat so i've been told by nearly every guitarist i know - so i would assume the basses aren't terrible different - but to each their own.

but in regards to the question the Jazz is still the hands down winner - fender just makes a better quality bass then gibson, and the versatility in the jazz basses are incredible.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
i would go sg. Because they are nice and punchy and Gibson is way better in terms of playability. Imo
Try and find a Highway One jazz if you don't wanna shell out all the cash for an MIA Standard.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by FUT55
i would go sg. Because they are nice and punchy and Gibson is way better in terms of playability. Imo

No.
They are not better in sound or playability or construction. Maybe you could argue looks wise, but that's completely subjective.
The Jazz wins because they sound less muddy and SG basses are hideous.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Jazz bass hands down! The so versatile!
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by .oxygen
The SG is brand new w/ hardcase for about a Grand
I could probably find about the same deal on the fender, (if not better)

If I were to go with a Fender Jazz, would it be a big difference if I just bought a Mexican Made?
I understand the quality is somewhat different?

the sg is a rip off man, i got a nicer version of it for i think 500-600 and yours is like the budget version of what i got, aaaaand i hate to admit it because i ****ing hate fender, out of these options with the info you have given us you would have to be a retard to not get the fender. = D