When it comes to amps I dont know much about them. I've been playing for about 3-4 years and I'm starting to tackle some Paul Gilbert stuff, and I think its time to upgrade my amp (I have a 15 watt Marshall practice amp). I've been doing a little research and the Carvin V3 looks like a good choice. I found a Carvin V3 3 Channel 50/100 watt Tube head. I dont know much about amps, but I'm assuming since its a head I'll have to be a cabinet along with it.

So I have a couple questions:

Can someone explain to me sort of the basics of amp heads and cabinets?

If I do end up buying this amp (its priced at $500), will any cabinet do or do I have to buy a Carvin cabinet?

Whats your personal thoughts or experiences (if you have any) about this amp?

Thanks for the help.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
500 bucks ... for a V3? *jaws drop*

I'd probably get it anyway, but since I can't try out any carvin amps here they're sorta like my (wet)dream amps, so I guess you'd better ignore my opinion

Also, if I remember correctly the V3 is what frank zappa used and what Steve Vai used before they made the legacy.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Jul 22, 2009,
Do not ever run a tube head without a speaker hooked up to it. Also, you'll need to make sure to match impedances (measured in ohms-thats the little Greek omega symbol) head to cabinet. Most cabs are 8 ohms, so just use the switch on the back of the head to set the head to 8 ohms. Also, the cabinet you buy I believe needs to have an equal or higher watt rating than the head. So, if you get a 2x12 cabinet, odds are you need to have the head set to 50 watts.
I don't have any personal experience with that amp, but have heard many good things about it, and I like the sound clips on their site. It would suit Paul Gilbert to metal, or really anything, well.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Yeah the more I research this amp, the more I'm liking it.

Again, a newb question, but will the amp work with any cabinet, or is there a specific type that I have to buy (like does it have to be a Carvin cabinet)?

Thanks for the help btw, I just saw ur posts after I posted this.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
Last edited by guitarist792 at Jul 22, 2009,
Amps make the sound, cabs make it audible. Any (good quality) cab will do, and yeah a Carvin is an excellent uprgrade especially for that price.
Smart Pothead and Proud
The euro price is 599 on their website... thats basically what we pay for a tiny terror / spider valve 112 combo...

... Guess which I'd prefer
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
The amp that Frank Zappa and Steve Vai used is the x100b and not the V3.
About the cabinets, I'm not an expert but I think different cabinets have different qualities so you would have to buy a cabinet that matches the qualities of the head or balances it a bit.

A question I would have is about buying the V3 head since I am interested in it as well. Since I live in Holland I would have to pay 599 euro's but I think in that price the tax and import costs aren't included right?
So I would still have to pay about 20% extra+shipping costs?
Because if tax is included I am 99% sure I am buying that as my next amp.
For cabinets (since this thread is filled with people who know nothing about them), just make sure the Ohms rating matches up. The X100B and V3 have impedance switches, meaning you can use it with virtually any cab (4, 8, or 16 ohms), so your options are pretty much limitless. The brand DOES NOT have to match up. Just flip the switch to whatever the ohms rating of the cab is and you're good to go.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss