i have a problem with completing songs that i write, and as one trusted UG forum trawler put it,
"you suck at finishing songs simply becuase that is what you have taught yourself"

i didnt understand what he meant at first then he explained in more detail.

him: what songs do you know how to play?
me: well i know the parts to alot of songs, i can play the intro to ashes of the wake, master of puppets, jump in the fire, welcome home, deadly sinn--

him: and that right there is your problem.
me: huh?
him: you can play bits and peices of alot of songs, but how many can you play all the way through?

me: well.... umm... none now that i think about it..
him: so what you need to do now that you have a semi-adequete() amount of technical skill, you need to internalize the basics of song writing by understanding the entire process by which those people whos songs your learning went about it.

me:but those songs have parts that are just too hard to play for me.
him: well either your gonna have to work harder at it, or find new songs to play until you can improve on the skills you already have.

he isnt exactly in to the music that sparks my creative talent, and so i beg of help from someone with similiar intrest or at least knowledge of the same music i like.

the bottom line?

i need to know the names of songs that i might be able to play that fit this general catagory:

are played in either standard or dropped D(i dont have a chromatic tuner so i am pretty much limited to that right now)

fit the vast catagory of metal

have a max difficulty of beginner intermediate.

if you can help, please do
unholy confessions - avenged sevenfold
the first full song i learned about a year into guitar playing. i also used to learn bits and peaces of songs
you shouldnt need other ppl to tell you/recommend you songs to learn/play, you should do that yourself.
War Pigs is an easy one, and also Paranoid, both by Black Sabbath, they were the first two I learned all the way through, also Something That I'm Not, A Tout Le Monde, Trust, and Rust In Peace by Megadeth.
i had problems, but for different reasons. when i first started learning how to play guitar, i just went straight to the tabs and learned songs. it wasn't until about 6 months ago that i realized that if i learn music theory, the song writing process will become much easier. so that's what i recommend you do, unless you already have studied it
I had the same problem for a while, even at my best most inspired moments I still go about everything in the laziest way possible, lol. just gotta sit down and pick somthing you like to listen to. get the intro, and well, I personally lean too heavily on guitar pro to learn most of the songs I play. Not the best way to learn, but a quick cheater way that I've grown accustomed to.

just systematically learn the song, start at the beginning, and charge through it. if you get to a part that is too hard or confusing, highlight then part, and loop it, slow it down until it makes sense, and gradually increase tempo until you've made that part your bitch and move on until you have it memorized. Don't have to have it up to tempo, just know the part and get the muscle memory down, and make it all the way to the end, then work on speeding the whole thing up.

The results you achieve rests soley on the amount of effort you put in. you'll get there if you really want it.
Quote by mashizz
i had problems, but for different reasons. when i first started learning how to play guitar, i just went straight to the tabs and learned songs. it wasn't until about 6 months ago that i realized that if i learn music theory, the song writing process will become much easier. so that's what i recommend you do, unless you already have studied it

ya i too came to that realization. i have been studying theory at every moment of free time that i have gotten for about the last 3 months(thank god of music for all the knowledgable people on this website) and it has helped imensly. the only problem i now face is actually putting together all the amazing riffs i have been able to come up with.

and thankyou, i am a sabbath fan, and i dont know why it never occured to me to try those songs. megadeth might be a little tricky though. oh well, more technique exercise i guess
i only know bits and pieces of songs and i tend to only writes bits and pieces of songs *initially*

for some reason once i start to record and i have to lay down bass tracks and lead melodies etc, all of a sudden songs begin to write themselves. the reason why i can't finish a song and have something to show for it?

i HATE recording...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.