RC7X by Dean or the Hellraiser C-7 FR by Schecter. Both have 707s (Schecter has TW variant). Both have OFR's. Dean has an ebony fingerboard and apparently the thinnest 7-string neck made. Both also have Grover tuners. The Schecter has a mahogany body while the Dean has an alder body. Now don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVE the tone of alder, I have two alder guitars already. By the same token though, the mahogany would enhance the low end that the seven-string is useful for. I play everything from jazz/jazz-fusion to progressive rock and metal, blues, hard-rock, etc.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/?gclid=CNnhqsbv6ZsCFYZM5Qod6nzo6Q

http://www.deanguitars.com/dean_winter_09/Rusty_Cooley_RC7X.htm

UG, please help. Thank-you.

EDIT: I know most people are going to say: "Try both out and see which one you like best." I'd really appreciate some actual advice though.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Last edited by Karlboy at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by Karlboy
RC7X by Dean or the Hellraiser C-7 FR by Schecter. Both have 707s (Schecter has TW variant). Both have OFR's. Dean has an ebony fingerboard and apparently the thinnest 7-string neck made. Both also have Grover tuners. The Schecter has a mahogany body while the Dean has an alder body. Now don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVE the tone of alder, I have two alder guitars already. By the same token though, the mahogany would enhance the low end that the seven-string is useful for. I play everything from jazz/jazz-fusion to progressive rock and metal, blues, hard-rock, etc.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/?gclid=CNnhqsbv6ZsCFYZM5Qod6nzo6Q

http://www.deanguitars.com/dean_winter_09/Rusty_Cooley_RC7X.htm

UG, please help. Thank-you.

EDIT: I know most people are going to say: "Try both out and see which one you like best." I'd really appreciate some actual advice though.

They're pretty even in terms of specs, the body wood is preference only. We can say everthing we want but the real decider is going to be how you think each of them play and sound in person. go try them, there is no other advice.

for what it's worth though, I'd get the Schecter.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
the necks on those 2 guitars are MUCH different. do you prefer a thinner neck or a heftier one? the neck on the hellraiser isn't uncomfy big, but i'd prefer it to be a little thinner for my tastes (i like the wizard 7). and from what i hear the Rusty Cooley model is VERY thin. probably a little thinner than a wizard 7.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Ibanez out the window I see....

that would more or less be the middle for neck profiles.

@TS: how much does neck profile matter to you? it actually matters a lot for me which is why i pointed it out, but maybe there's something else about these guitars that you're more interested in...?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I agree with konfyouzd ... playability/comfort is key. Next would be how they actually sound through an amp that Karlboy has ... even with those actives, there will be slight differences due to the body wood.

I have the Schecter and find it just as comfortable as my favorite RG7620 and LTD SC607B. It also sounds as immense through the JSX and H&K TriAmp MK II.

Okay, neck profile is yes, important, but I can deal with most shapes. Also, the reason I don't want an Ibanez is because #1, all but the S7320 and Xiphos are orverpriced and #2, I HATE the Wizard II neck. I'm sorry, it's just not comfortable to me. I have a Jackson (Uber-thin neck) and a Strat (a pretty average neck size). I can play just as well on my Strat as I can on the Jackson. So it'll probably boil down to comfort.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
If you can stand the thick neck of the Schecter, I'd go with that. I think Schecter beats Dean price/quality wise on 90% of the guitars. If you really want a thin neck, I guess the Dean will be fine.
It all comes down to comfort at the end of the day. I'd get the Dean, purely based on RC's video where he talks about it
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.