im going to college in a month and i want to get a low watt tube amp for my dorm

i want the ht-5 it sounds incredible, definitely above all the other 5 watters within the price range

my only issue is that im worried it wont be able to keep up in a band practice type situation while mainting a non broken up clean tone

what 15 watt tube amps are similar to the ht5?

no budget because i can save up if its worth it, willing to go used, i play classic rock, blues, hard rock, jazz, and various metal songs but not my main focus,

aiming for an evh type tone

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

If you can wait long enough to save up, Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25.

If not, Fender Blues Junior.
i love the sound of the blues junior but its not what im looking at the moment.

i havent tried the mesa but i was looking into it before i bought my splawn and wasnt impressed by clips but i'll try to get my hands on one to try out

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

The Mesa Express 2:25 isn't that recommendable. If you like the tone, fair enough, but they are pretty meh to me.

Where do you live? I'll scour ebay once you tell me.
north jersey , i dont need you to scour for me i can do that myself just recomment amps please lol

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Vox Night Train is good for hard rock but I'm pretty sure they can't do metal on it's own... It would need an OD. It's a 15w head I think. Also check out the Tiny Terrors
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
tiny terrors are too overpriced in my opinion. i love my friends but its not worth the price tag

i forgot about the night train, also i plan on using all the stuff in my sig with this amp

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
i forgot about the night train, also i plan on using all the stuff in my sig with this amp

The major flaw with the Night Train is it's only one channel
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Night Train vs. Tiny Terror

This guy's youtube channel is amazing... He demo's a ****load of amps against each other
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
im in college and freshman year i had my blues jr in there. not too big i think it worked perfectly. also ive been looking at higher gain stuff and am going to get distortion/fuzz for it soon. i would really look into the BJ
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
by saying you neeed a distortion fuzz pedal just completely turned me off to the bj

i might be okay with the night train being single channel

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
by saying you neeed a distortion fuzz pedal just completely turned me off to the bj

Ok he demos 10 of the most popular low watt tube amps in this one... Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JElhF57WaBI
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
thanks jay thats really helpful

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I agree with the Boogie 2:25, great amp and its pretty versatile.
Schecter C-1 FR Custom
Fender Stratocaster with EMG DG20
Fender Mustang with Hot Rails
ESP Eclipse with EMG81/85
Peavey Triple XXX with 4x12
Go try out a Fender Super Champ XD. It will cover your range of styles w/o needing pedals.
Quote by timzee117

You don't need an overdrive pedal with the Blues Junior, but it really sings when you use one with it. It's not going to be able to do medal by itself, obviously since that's generally now what a Blues Junior would do.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
i never asked, what is your budget? i assume you're pretty lax as you were considering the express 2:25.
And he's looking for a 2nd Splawn so budget apparently isn't a problem.

I second the SuperChamp idea. Or a Vypyr because it has a headphone jack. I think those Expresses do too (have a headphone jack).

Edit: Eh. SuperChamp may not work for band practice depending on some things. You said you want a tube amp so I'm assuming Vypyrs are out.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 23, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
And he's looking for a 2nd Splawn so budget apparently isn't a problem.

I second the SuperChamp idea. Or a Vypyr because it has a headphone jack. I think those Expresses do too (have a headphone jack).

Edit: Eh. SuperChamp may not work for band practice depending on some things. You said you want a tube amp so I'm assuming Vypyrs are out.

graduation money + working 20 hours a week having no financial obligations = gear

i tried the vyper the other day and it was alright

i want to retract my comment about the pedals with the bj

i might do that because ialready have a bunch of pedals that can push it harder if need be and it also has difference voicing. plus i love my hot rod deluxe and from what i hear the bj kicks its ass

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

you might want to look at some boutique makers. i don't know of any in america, unfortunately - i only know of british ones - but they often provide amps at the 15 watt mark, that also have power scaling abilities. they can sometimes be pricey, but if you are willing to spend the money, they might be well worth it.

just keep your eye out or scour ebay.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
you might want to look at some boutique makers. i don't know of any in america, unfortunately - i only know of british ones - but they often provide amps at the 15 watt mark, that also have power scaling abilities. they can sometimes be pricey, but if you are willing to spend the money, they might be well worth it.

just keep your eye out or scour ebay.

ive looked into some but i dont feel like saving up a lot for another boutique amp then waiting for it to be made, when i said i had no budget i mean if its worth it hell ya i'll save up for it but if there is something equal for cheaper i'll probably go with that

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
ive looked into some but i dont feel like saving up a lot for another boutique amp then waiting for it to be made, when i said i had no budget i mean if its worth it hell ya i'll save up for it but if there is something equal for cheaper i'll probably go with that
who wouldn't?

have you heard of koch? they make a nice amp - studiotone. i believe it's 20 watts.
the prices are not great in the States, but you may be able to pick one up on ebay or craigslist for a decent price if you wait.
also, the tone is not to everyones taste.

i'm really out of ideas, mate. apologies.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

i'm really out of ideas, mate. apologies.

its cool man i appreciate the help

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

i can believe i forgot about this, what about the blackheart handsome devil?

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

h&k edition tube. original or one of the anniversary amps. 20th or 25th anniversary. perfect amps quiet or band levels. 20 watts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Egnater Rebel 20 head?
Its 1-20 watts variable and has plenty of clean headroom, yet good distortion on the one watt setting. It easily has enough gain for metal.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
yeah, the egnator rebel. i haven't personally tried it, but i hear it's quite nice. much darker sounding than the tiny terror, blackstar, blackheart and vox nightrain.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jul 24, 2009,
ive played the egnator rebel and wasnt to impressed. it didnt sound bad nothing worth bragging about.

i still need to go to gc or somewhree and just line up amp and ab them

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Def go with the Blackstar. Such good value for the money. Super versatile. Not very much headroom, that's the only con I can come up with.
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
I thought the Rebel was pretty cool. Decent cab too. I couldn't convince myself that the 6L6 to EL34 swing or wattage swing was actually there or not but the tubes are def there and the dude at GC was completely sold on it....go figure. I need to go play it again actually.

yeah, at this point your best bet is to go to GC as early in the day as you can and tell them you want to line up a bunch of amps. Maybe ask the manager if you can do that so you don't get that blank stare look.