Page 1 of 2
I just bought an OS-2 new from guitar center about 6 months ago. Recently it started cutting out randomly and making a horrible screeching noise. And about two days ago started not making any distortion, and it was just fuzzy buzzy and muddy and sounded like crap no matter what setting i put it in. So, as a result, im never going to buy from boss ever again. Any other sugestions?
i dont know really i dont use much pedals/effects.
but you could try some line 6 or digitech
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
you checked your guitar leads? the are usually the cause for the problems you listed
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
you should check the battery. actually all of my pedals (except for the crybaby) are boss and they work just fine. the oldest one has 2 years with me and it works well. maybe you should use your warranty and get another one.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
line 6 Uber Metal
or the New digitech line their supposed to be really good
i have no idea what their called
but dont get any of the bottom line digitech all of it is garbage
death metal pedal, grunge pedal etc all crap.
Change the battery.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
your problem is most likely not the pedal, considering Boss's reputation of having pedals built like tanks.

I personally have used Boss pedals for years, and some of them I've had for years with quite extensive use and no problems.

it sounds like you have other wiring issues, whether it be a cable or a lead.

regardless, Electro-Harmonix is another personal favorite of mine for pedals
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
maybe you just got a dud? i hear great things about Boss.

but anyway, i have the line 6 floor pod and that's not too bad.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Simis
change batteries

that simple? hehe
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
try everything said above (check the cables and batteries, it may seem simple but it could be the smallest thing) Boss pedals are usually pretty reliable
check out some EHX and digitech stuff too
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by demonsqueeky
line 6 Uber Metal
or the New digitech line their supposed to be really good
i have no idea what their called

Hardwire???
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Quote by pak1351
Joe walsh, glen frey, and stuart smith disagree

guranatee you that they're not all stock pedals. with these guys being made musicians and having the money for it and all I dont think they would choose STOCK bawss pedals over the many boutique choices on the market.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by benx3000
I just bought an OS-2 new from guitar center about 6 months ago. Recently it started cutting out randomly and making a horrible screeching noise. And about two days ago started not making any distortion, and it was just fuzzy buzzy and muddy and sounded like crap no matter what setting i put it in. So, as a result, im never going to buy from boss ever again. Any other sugestions?

Don't they have a Lifetime Warranty?

Heaven forbid a product isn't perfect. Yeah I'd be mad in your position, but they have a lifetime warranty for a reason: they stand behind their product and if it doesn't last they'll replace it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I would change the batteries. Boss pedals are really reliable. There modulation pedals are good but there distortions are bad. Check out digitech or mxr or ibanez and ehx
Quote by Bright Light
guranatee you that they're not all stock pedals. with these guys being made musicians and having the money for it and all I dont think they would choose STOCK bawss pedals over the many boutique choices on the market.

They could be stock. Some musicians just like the sound they get from those pedals.
Obviously Fassa.
Please tell me you're not such an idiot you haven't changed the battery...

Boss perhaps aren't the greatest-sounding pedals in the universe, but they're incredibly durable. And if it's only 6 months old, instead of whining about how 'all Boss products are crap', why don't you contact them and get a new one under the warranty?
Quote by Bright Light

Actually everyone seems to think this, but it's more likely they are older MIJ models, which were much more high quality. People seem to think that because Boss does not have true bypass, they are inferior. The buffered output is actually very beneficial in longer effects chains, like those pictured. It boosts the signal like a MXR Micro-Amp would, which can make up for signal loss over long chains. Also these guys don't get their sound from them, like all the kids playing DS-1s into Frontmans, they use them to augment their sound.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Try MXR, the best pedal I've had is an MXR Distortion lll
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Juadafi
Change the battery.

+1

Sounds like the problem is a dead battery
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by AdamDK

The Eagles.

Dave Mustaine facepalm=WIN
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by tubetime86
Actually everyone seems to think this, but it's more likely they are older MIJ models, which were much more high quality. People seem to think that because Boss does not have true bypass, they are inferior. The buffered output is actually very beneficial in longer effects chains, like those pictured. It boosts the signal like a MXR Micro-Amp would, which can make up for signal loss over long chains. Also these guys don't get their sound from them, like all the kids playing DS-1s into Frontmans, they use them to augment their sound.

a buffered signal can be good indeed, but boss' buffer is awfuly horrible
everytime i've put a boss pedal in my pedalboard, i've instantly heard the change in tone, kind of like a sterilisation
boss delays are supposed to be good, i didn't try them. I did however try a lot of their modulations and found them to sound so-so, and again, lifeless.

Personally, I love electro-harmonix, MXR and Carl Martin pedals, i think you can't really go wrong with these. TC Electronics are supposed to be good too, and the danelectro are supposed to be great for the price (although i have never tried one of these)
Quote by tubetime86

im deffinitely not an "omg it has to be true-bypass" kinda person. I have an Ibanez TS9, Korg DT-10 tuner pedal, and a boss TU-2 tuner pedal which i dont use anymore because I have the Korg now. I have some TB stuff as well and combine it with the BP pedals. And yes, a GOOD and WELL BUILT buffered bypass is beneficial to the pedal chain. Boss is known for the most part to make poor quality buffered bypasses. so yeah, dont get hyped up about TB and dont cheap out when buying BP. you're hurting your chain either way.

boss is one of those companies that has a handful of great pedals for the price and thats about it. Boss as a company is the equivalent of Gibson and Marshall when it comes to hype, "industry standard", and **** that noobs love simply because they've heard the name before or saw it on TV

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light

why wouldnt they be stock?

lol they are accomplished players...so they have skill, which makes their playing sound good regardless if they are using a stock pedal or something 'special.'

plus, most boutique pedals arent built like a boss. not exactly practical to tour around with a pedalboard full of expensive boutique pedals.

maybe in the studio...
Quote by Bright Light

boss is one of those companies that has a handful of great pedals for the price and thats about it. Boss as a company is the equivalent of Gibson and Marshall when it comes to hype, "industry standard", and **** that noobs love simply because they've heard the name before or saw it on TV

when did boss start running television ads?
Quote by Darkflame
a buffered signal can be good indeed, but boss' buffer is awfuly horrible
everytime i've put a boss pedal in my pedalboard, i've instantly heard the change in tone, kind of like a sterilisation
boss delays are supposed to be good, i didn't try them. I did however try a lot of their modulations and found them to sound so-so, and again, lifeless.

Ive found most Boss buffers to actually be pretty good. I dont really notice any change when using a DS-1, SD-1, CE-5, DD-6, or PS-2.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by xtheclincherx
when did boss start running television ads?

i didnt mean that boss had ads. I've actually never seen any sort of musical equipment ads on TV. i mean like when you watch a live performance its easy to see that a lot of bands are using marshalls and gibsons. so when noobs see these on tv all the time they think there must be nothing better than these. boss is almost the same way. sorry i should have been more specific

lol they are accomplished players...so they have skill, which makes their playing sound good regardless if they are using a stock pedal or something 'special.'

plus, most boutique pedals arent built like a boss. not exactly practical to tour around with a pedalboard full of expensive boutique pedals.

^obviously has never been on tour before. or heard of properly storing and transporting your equipment. if this were the case then they might as well just bring squiers and spiders on tour as well.

also, remember you cant always be sure what sort of unseen equipment these players are running to improve their sound. and just because playing sounds good doesnt mean that the tone is at its full potential. technique = ~30% of tone honestly. i know thats debatable, but c'mon...are your fingers going to produce tight sounding high gain through a fender amp? nope. are you going to produce delay, phaser, flanger, wah, or chorus with just your fingers? of course not.

so if the budget allows for it then why not get better quality pedals? or why not mod cheap stock pedals like boss pedals? maybe the pedals in those pictures are stock, but it doesnt mean there arent way better pedals out there.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Ive found most Boss buffers to actually be pretty good. I dont really notice any change when using a DS-1, SD-1, CE-5, DD-6, or PS-2.

i had to remove the DS-1 after a few seconds, i plugged it, was playing in a roland cube15 and the sound difference was extreme, really.
i recently added a boss RC-2 to my chain because i needed a looper, and even though it sucks a part of my tone, i'm living with it because the pedal is cool and i need it. as for pedals, i tried the EQ, phase shifter, chorus, octaver and a few others and i always heard a major difference.
i can't imagine myself using a pedalboard full of boss
Quote by Darkflame
i had to remove the DS-1 after a few seconds, i plugged it, was playing in a roland cube15 and the sound difference was extreme, really.
i recently added a boss RC-2 to my chain because i needed a looper, and even though it sucks a part of my tone, i'm living with it because the pedal is cool and i need it. as for pedals, i tried the EQ, phase shifter, chorus, octaver and a few others and i always heard a major difference.
i can't imagine myself using a pedalboard full of boss

my TU-2 was a tone vaccum. i used to use it with my acoustic guitars and my T5 and what was previously a great EQ turned to mush and then back to great again once I removed the pedal. i know it wasnt the battery because I had a fresh one in there and I was using a visual sound 1 spot anyway. I've since then bought a Korg DT-10 pedal tuner which was the same price as the TU-2. sadly this tuner is discontinued now but its hailed as one of the best non-rack tuners. it BP, but its deffinitely a great quality one and doesnt suck tone at all. it does add a bit of high end, but very little and between the active EQ on my T5 and the amazingly responsive EQ on my MAz 38 its easy to roll it off. I kind of like it there, though, so no biggy.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light

Guarantee you they are, if you go read the interviews when they talk about it. If you look closely at the board, you can see some boutique pedals as well, you don't have to have a totally boutique set-up. I've seen Joe play through classic 30's, hell, they recorded the hotel california leads on a roland cube (15 I think). billy Gibbons is another player who has been known to go from high-end boutique amps to your run of the mill, mass produced amp, and still sound huge. David Hidalgo tours with a blues deluxe and a sparkle drive. A good player is more important to tone than any piece of gear.
Page 1 of 2