This may be a really silly question but anyways...

My band has been working with a saxophone player for the past couple weeks and I have been writing out a sax melody from a particular song we trying to cover. I know the basics of writing/reading standard notation but I am a bit confused about concert pitch. I never really learned anything about it but I know that my 'C' is his 'A' (I think?).

Now, if I am transcribing a horn melody and find that the notes are (for example) F, A, C, on my guitar, would I need to write out the melody as D, F#, A, for the sax player?? Or would I just leave it as F, A, C?

Thanks.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
I believe it's a tenor.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
It must be an alto sax then

So on the sheet music, I would write everything a tone and a half lower then how I hear it on my guitar?
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Last edited by highwaysalmon at Jul 22, 2009,
If it's an alto, your original post is right (F = D on sax).
Quote by highwaysalmon
It must be an alto sax then

So on the sheet music, I would write everything a tone and a half lower then how I hear it on my guitar?

I think so, but I might be getting confused since guitar is written an octave higher than it sounds. You might have to write a major sixth above the guitar's pitch.
Last edited by werty22 at Jul 22, 2009,
Eb instuments (alto and bari sax) transpose 3 half steps down from concert pitch, or down to the sixth. But I highly reccomend getting your sax player to start thinking concert pitch or he won't really be able to play in any bend. Bb intruments (trumpet, tenor sax, clarinet) are two half step up from concert pitch. F instruments (french horn) are down 4 half steps or down to the fifth. So when writing out pieces for an alto sax player, if a piece is in C, you would write it out in A ( with 3 sharps in the key) if you know your scales well enough this can be easy, but if not then take every concert pitch and bring it down 3 half steps.It takes practice you'll get used to it.