I called GHS and i'm having them send me a set of strings that are borderline bass strings, the gauges are 16,19,26,36,56,and 85. The reason i'm doing this is I'm building a guitar for them, with extra high action, carved out nut and bridge saddles, that kind of thing. The sole purpose for this is one single tuning. I'm trying to tune to drop G. Yes, you heard me right there, Drop G. Now correct me if i'm wrong but i think that sits at about the fifth plane of hell, and as far as i know nobody's ever done it before. I just want to know what you other players, especially the metal guys think about my embarkment
Haha sounds pretty nuts. Be sure to keep us posted on the build!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I definatly wanna see this lol.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
This sound massively interesting. Are you goin to make a thread in the GB&C thread?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
What sort of scale length are you using? You may want to tweak it a bit higher in order to maintain adequate tension in the .085. That being said, I suspect in a band situation with a bassist, that it won't sound very good. 2 of you will be all over the lower register, and most of what you play will be lost.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
What sort of scale length are you using? You may want to tweak it a bit higher in order to maintain adequate tension in the .085. That being said, I suspect in a band situation with a bassist, that it won't sound very good. 2 of you will be all over the lower register, and most of what you play will be lost.

I was thinking the same.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Vulcan

I don't think they'll really need a bassist THAT much if they're playing all the way in Drop G
I would love to hear a song in Drop G. Drop three semitones and you're just down an octave lol.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
you would need a scale length of at least 28" just because you are making it for the purpose of drop g. also iam not sure if there are guitar tuners that are being built right now that can fit a .85 so you would need a bass tuner for that string which would look weird as hell. also the body would have to be really big to let those low notes resonate enough to make a decent sound.so what you are looking at here has pretty much been done already it's call a 6 string bass. however if you are going to build a 8 string guitar that would be another story or even better a 9 string guitar.
Its been done before.. Heard of a band named Cannibal Corpse? Yep, they've done it a lot.
I did not know that cannibal corpse did that, and yes, i'm going to use a bass tuner for that 85. we're altering the sound of the whole band, so i'm going to have to build a bass and another guitar for our rhythm guitarist as well, so i'm suspecting that it's just gonna sound more and more brutal. I'm using the same scale, a 25 1/2" les paul. The reason i'm using the thicker strings is so i can get that extra tension when I go that low. As soon as i gather the parts to do my modifications, i'll put up a gb&c thread and document the project. right now i'm waiting for the plastic chunk to come in so i can fabricate a nut, and the string sets still have to come in from ghs. On a side note, I dropped one of my les pauls to G so to try it out, and it sounded good, save for all the fret buzz.
drop G? i have friends that plays 7's in bands and they play in drop G. it a cool idea but i wouldnt go as far as to say that you're the first to do it. and are they really borderline bass strings? you're a little over half way to bass strings, but still not that close.

i wanna see this, and hear how it sounds. personally once you get down to B stand, anything lower is just mush imo.
What would happen if Drop G ended up sounding like utter crap?

Then you'd have a guitar made specifically for Drop G to hang in an acrylic wall case, sitting on a pedestal that says "I Did!"

You kids and your crazy guitar tunings...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
What would happen if Drop G ended up sounding like utter crap?

Then you'd have a guitar made specifically for Drop G to hang in an acrylic wall case, sitting on a pedestal that says "I Did!"

You kids and your crazy guitar tunings...

Isn't this called sludge metalz?

More br00t4lz than Slipkn0ts?
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I think Drop B sounds like utter crap... especially when your wannabe slipknot guitarist friend uses a Mick Thompson signature with EMG's instead of Blackouts with .10 gauge strings...

Anger ventilated. Anyway,
Drop G. Couldn't you use a baritone guitar for that?