Page 1 of 2
This is something I never really thought about til now. How did it start?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Going to shows
jumping around
accidentally bumping into eachother
purposefully bumping into eachother
Moshing
PM me for newts
Someone decided just standing at a show was boring, got pissed off, and punched a guy next to him in the face.

/thread
Quote by TheClincher
Someone decided just standing at a show was boring, got pissed off, and punched a guy next to him in the face.

/thread

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
I believe it was initiated by the fans of 80s punk bands Wikipedia and Google.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by TheClincher

/thread

my sides hurt!!
This shit is Pie.
Black Metal Pie.
It talks about winter.
Join if you like, or kindly leave.
Or else you die.

i like shooping
shoop da wooping
and chargin mah lazorz
not necessarily in that order
Quote by JacobTheMe
Iggy Pop probably.

would you mind providing a tad more insight? i don't know a whole lot about iggy pop other than that he existed...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Origins of the dance

From wikipedia

A precursor to moshing, called "slam dancing", can be traced back to 1970s punk rock shows[2] in the form of "the pogo" and was later developed into moshing by the hardcore punk subculture of the early 80s.[5][9] While many use the terms slam dancing and moshing interchangeably, distinctions can be made in that slam dancing is typically more frantic, with body movements such as arm-swinging, while moshing is slower and more exaggerated.[1]
Crowdsurfing over a mosh pit.

Moshing is thought to have originated in Orange County, California, during the first wave of American hardcore in the early eighties at the Cuckoos Nest.[10] Early moshing can be seen in the film Urban Struggle. Violence and physicality characterized aspects of the movement and were manifesting on the dancefloors of shows. Slam dancing began as an audience response to the bands of the L.A. scene such as Black Flag, Fear and The Circle Jerks, whose more rhythmic and heavy form of punk rock was being called "hardcore."

To match the intensity and aggressive nature of this new music, fans would move frantically and engage in stage diving. Beyond audience and band members slamming into one another and leaping from stages into the crowd, slam dancing was defined by "strutting around in a circle, swinging your arms around and hitting everyone within your reach."[11] This aspect of slam dancing was termed the "Huntington Beach Strut" (or "HB Strut") after the neighborhood of Orange County where it originated. Author Steven Blush writes of the HB Strut:
“ According to lore, Mike Marine, a former U.S. Marine and star of The Decline of Western Civilization, performed the first slam dance in 1979. Marine created a vicious version of punk dancing. He'd smash the ****ing face of anyone who would get near him—especially some Hippie, who'd get pulverized. ”

Marine and others in the Huntington Beach and Long Beach areas invented this violent dance and soon exported it to the San Francisco and Bay Area scene, where pogoing was still the prevalent form of dance. From there, it spread to the East Coast scenes through national acts such as Bad Brains and other D.C. area natives such as Henry Rollins and Ian MacKaye who witnessed the HB Strut while traveling.[12]

Because the early American hardcore scene gave way to and coexisted with the burgeoning crossover thrash scene, it, too, became defined in part by slam dancing.

[edit] Crossover into mainstream music

By the end of the 1980s, the initial wave of American hardcore was over and had split off into other subcultures and movements. Of the many styles of music directly created by and indebted to hardcore, the Seattle based grunge movement was among them. In the early 1990s, the sound associated with bands such as The Melvins, Mudhoney, Nirvana, and the SubPop record label had crossed over into mainstream success, bringing with it the memes of the American hardcore culture.

Through the mainstream success of these acts, the dance and word mosh entered the popular American lexicon and spread to many other types of music. according to They Might Be Giants' John Linnell, it reached a point where "it didn’t matter what kind of music you were playing or what kind of band you were; everybody moshed to everything. It was just kind of the enforced rule of going to concerts."[13]

[edit] Controversy and anti-moshing stances
Quote by whalepudding

you can't have a conversation with wikipedia and google. likewise the majority of the things you'll find on an online discussion forum can be found on both wikipedia and google. however, if we all took this approach every time we'd have no need for forums...
Quote by whalepudding
Hey man you forgot searchbar. They where kinda underground so they never got the recognition they deserved......

.....Yeah I fail at humour

I'd imagine it had something to do with punk. That was when people really started getting energetic at shows. To the best of my knowledge
Quote by konfyouzd
would you mind providing a tad more insight? i don't know a whole lot about iggy pop other than that he existed...

He was known for being the first person to stage dive and all those rock star cliches. He cut himself up with glass at shows, got in fights with fans. He was just crazy. All that in the 60's too. Its amazing he is still alive.

Oh, and a lot of punk bands cite him as the first punk.
Quote by Aguamento
Origins of the dance

From wikipedia

A precursor to moshing, called "slam dancing", can be traced back to 1970s punk rock shows[2] in the form of "the pogo" and was later developed into moshing by the hardcore punk subculture of the early 80s.[5][9] While many use the terms slam dancing and moshing interchangeably, distinctions can be made in that slam dancing is typically more frantic, with body movements such as arm-swinging, while moshing is slower and more exaggerated.[1]
Crowdsurfing over a mosh pit.

Moshing is thought to have originated in Orange County, California, during the first wave of American hardcore in the early eighties at the Cuckoos Nest.[10] Early moshing can be seen in the film Urban Struggle. Violence and physicality characterized aspects of the movement and were manifesting on the dancefloors of shows. Slam dancing began as an audience response to the bands of the L.A. scene such as Black Flag, Fear and The Circle Jerks, whose more rhythmic and heavy form of punk rock was being called "hardcore."

To match the intensity and aggressive nature of this new music, fans would move frantically and engage in stage diving. Beyond audience and band members slamming into one another and leaping from stages into the crowd, slam dancing was defined by "strutting around in a circle, swinging your arms around and hitting everyone within your reach."[11] This aspect of slam dancing was termed the "Huntington Beach Strut" (or "HB Strut") after the neighborhood of Orange County where it originated. Author Steven Blush writes of the HB Strut:
“ According to lore, Mike Marine, a former U.S. Marine and star of The Decline of Western Civilization, performed the first slam dance in 1979. Marine created a vicious version of punk dancing. He'd smash the ****ing face of anyone who would get near him—especially some Hippie, who'd get pulverized. ”

Marine and others in the Huntington Beach and Long Beach areas invented this violent dance and soon exported it to the San Francisco and Bay Area scene, where pogoing was still the prevalent form of dance. From there, it spread to the East Coast scenes through national acts such as Bad Brains and other D.C. area natives such as Henry Rollins and Ian MacKaye who witnessed the HB Strut while traveling.[12]

Because the early American hardcore scene gave way to and coexisted with the burgeoning crossover thrash scene, it, too, became defined in part by slam dancing.

[edit] Crossover into mainstream music

By the end of the 1980s, the initial wave of American hardcore was over and had split off into other subcultures and movements. Of the many styles of music directly created by and indebted to hardcore, the Seattle based grunge movement was among them. In the early 1990s, the sound associated with bands such as The Melvins, Mudhoney, Nirvana, and the SubPop record label had crossed over into mainstream success, bringing with it the memes of the American hardcore culture.

Through the mainstream success of these acts, the dance and word mosh entered the popular American lexicon and spread to many other types of music. according to They Might Be Giants' John Linnell, it reached a point where "it didn’t matter what kind of music you were playing or what kind of band you were; everybody moshed to everything. It was just kind of the enforced rule of going to concerts."[13]

[edit] Controversy and anti-moshing stances

hmm... that's interesting... the crowd just decided to hurt each other because of the aggressive nature of the music, eh? i don't necessarily believe that music causes violence but something like that makes that a tough point to argue...
we seriously need a thread to discuss how awesome wikipedia is.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by JacobTheMe
He was known for being the first person to stage dive and all those rock star cliches. He cut himself up with glass at shows, got in fights with fans. He was just crazy. All that in the 60's too. Its amazing he is still alive.

Oh, and a lot of punk bands cite him as the first punk.

oh nice...

and oh yea... considering everyone's amazement at the lack of black people in the punk scene, you shouldn't be surprised that i don't know anything about the origins of moshing since it apparently began there...
Quote by konfyouzd

he was violent full of energy, and then there's that peanut butter incident...
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
I don't know but its ****ing fun.

Nice wiki article though

thought it might not all be true
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by konfyouzd
oh nice...

and oh yea... considering everyone's amazement at the lack of black people in the punk scene, you shouldn't be surprised that i don't know anything about the origins of moshing since it apparently began there...

There is a black guy in my local punk scene. He pissed in a water bottle and threw it everywhere at a show.
Quote by konfyouzd
hmm... that's interesting... the crowd just decided to hurt each other because of the aggressive nature of the music, eh? i don't necessarily believe that music causes violence but something like that makes that a tough point to argue...

I did a whole gigantic report for our science fair this year, on how music affects animal behavior. I also delved into if it affects human behavior, causes violences, treats depressions, etc etc. I found that some people said it does cause violence and say rap should be banned and all that other stuff, but others argued if someone listened to a rap song, and then went and robbed a store, it is that persons fault. They say the song didn't rob the store, the person did.

Edit: Razor, of course it won't all be true, its Wikipedia
People becoming sick of heavy metal and everyone at the concerts becoming so irritated that they actually started headbutting each other.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by RazorTheAwesome
I don't know but its ****ing fun.

Nice wiki article though

thought it might not all be true

that's the main problem i have with going to wikipedia for everything. ANYONE can change something on there.

i had profesors in college that would tell us not to use it for papers and some of them would even go on there and change stuff pertaining to term paper topics so they could catch us if we did.

i know it's regulated but i could very easily check it in between the time some jackass changes something they don't like and the time that it's caught.
Quote by TheClincher

/thread

THIS!
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by Aguamento
I did a whole gigantic report for our science fair this year, on how music affects animal behavior. I also delved into if it affects human behavior, causes violences, treats depressions, etc etc. I found that some people said it does cause violence and say rap should be banned and all that other stuff, but others argued if someone listened to a rap song, and then went and robbed a store, it is that persons fault. They say the song didn't rob the store, the person did.

Edit: Razor, of course it won't all be true, its Wikipedia

hehe... you can go back and forth all day on that one. let's not open that can of worms. even though i started it.
short version; at early punk and hardcore shows people would jump around and slam dance, then in the 80's thrash and hardcore were crossing over, and there was guys who would go to both types of show, so they'd start 'moshing' at thrash shows, metal guys joined in, moshing was since associated with metal.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
I always thought it would have started when like the guitarist tried to get his long hair out of his eyes he would have thrown his head forwards and then backwards, and then someone in the crowd would've started to imitate him and...

Sounds silly yes I know. That was just my theory xD
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Quote by henkka_potku
I always thought it would have started when like the guitarist tried to get his long hair out of his eyes he would have thrown his head forwards and then backwards, and then someone in the crowd would've started to imitate him and...

Sounds silly yes I know. That was just my theory xD

makes sense. it was better than my lack of an idea.
Well you see imperfect cell and pedobear were at a concert one night, when Motorhead started playing 'the game', cell then shoop da whoops al over motorhead, during the pandemonium pedobear starts anally raping at least 100 mudkipz. That day over 9000 people were raped and lazered.

This my friend, was the first mosh.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by velocigecko
Well you see imperfect cell and pedobear were at a concert one night, when Motorhead started playing 'the game', cell then shoop da whoops al over motorhead, during the pandemonium pedobear starts anally raping at least 100 mudkipz. That day over 9000 people were raped and lazered.

This my friend, was the first mosh.

epic
man I just ended this thread!
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by velocigecko
man I just ended this thread!
Expcept you jut restarted it. Nice one
in short

pogoing (jumping up and down) 1 dimension
The fish (jumping and pointing one's head in a direction) 2 dimensions
Moshing three dimensions
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
It's a pretty natural reaction to punk and metal, I think.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
As Dave Mustaine says "I go into a concert situation and see people going absolutely insane moshing and slamming. We were one of the bands that started that in America. It started off with pogo-ing and doing the worm in the punk scene, and then when the metal scene came along, the people wanted to dance like that, but they didn't know what pogo-ing and doing the worm was , so they invented slam dancing."
E-Married to Eddie4President

ARMENIAN

Quote by VANGELIS!
Ya, my mom walked in on me taking a **** into my coffee mug when I was 23. There was a spider in the bathroom and I was too scared to go in

Quote by angusfan16
I'll join. I have a vagina.
Quote by ironmaidengirl3
As Dave Mustaine says "I go into a concert situation and see people going absolutely insane moshing and slamming. We were one of the bands that started that in America. It started off with pogo-ing and doing the worm in the punk scene, and then when the metal scene came along, the people wanted to dance like that, but they didn't know what pogo-ing and doing the worm was , so they invented slam dancing. I am also a giant egotistical wanker who thinks that he is God. "

Fixed. Mustaine didn't even come close to inventing moshing - they were doing it at hardcore and punk shows way back when.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Page 1 of 2