So my friend is starting off guitar, and is using his pops acoustic, I am trying to teach him some songs becuase his father said if he learned a few he would buy one for him. I think I am a decent player, (I own a MIM Fender Telecaster) so What would be some decent songs for him to learn, Right now I am teaching him Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smoke On the Water and Iron Man, Does anyone else have any suggestions? Any genre of music, he likes it all.
Californication- RHCP. hed pretty much have to be retarted not to be able to play it.
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Come as you are is the ultimate beginner song. If you can't learn that one you should just give up and sell your guitar on ebay.

Also... that one Green Day song "I hope you have the time of your life..." that's another good one.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Frusciante2323
what music does he like?

good question, but that really only matters so much if he doesn't know how to play anything at all. he's GOT to start somewhere.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Viineri
When I started playing guitar I impressed my dad by learning the main riff from Sunshine of your love.

ha... that's the way to go! what kind of music do your friend's DAD like? if he learns one of those he's sure to buy him a guitar.

EDIT: ninja'd
Maybe some CCR would be good acoustically, CCR is an infamouse 3 chord band.

try Down on the corner.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by ibanezgod1973
what music does his dad like, you could get your friend to pull at the heart strings that way......

Exactly, this is what you need to find out
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Then your friend should learn a bit of country as well
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Then your friend should learn a bit of country as well

yea one of the earlier songs should def be country. once his dad gets him the guitar he can play whatever the hell he wants.
learn seven nation army,smoke on the water, and open chords
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

I impressed my dad with learning the main riff on Cocaine, I think he's more for me playing guitar now.

You should tell your friend to learn a song that his dad really likes, and poof, he'll get your friend a geetar. Oh wait's that's already been said. Ah well. I second the notion.
okay nice easy one then in a country rock style would be sweet home alabama or knocking on heavens door,hotel califonia etc
Honestly, you should probobly teach him the entire "Nirvana Unplugged" set, or most of it anyway. None of it's really too hard and its got bars,riffs, open chords and all that jazz.

Good stuff
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.