What would be a better Overdrive pedal for alternative rock,punk and hard rock:
Digitech Bad Monkey or Boss SD-1?
BTW i use a blackheart little giant.
The bad monkey would cover the lighter genres, I have never played a bad monkey but I have played an SD-1 and found it brittle and sterile.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Bad Monkey FTW, SD-1's are best when they are the MIJ versions or modded by Keeley or Analogman.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I have an SD-1, it works for what I use it for, but I only really use it for soloing so take it for what its worth.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by CullenT
Bad Monkey FTW, SD-1's are best when they are the MIJ versions or modded by Keeley or Analogman.

+1

Generally Boss dirt pedals really aren't that great unless they are the MIJ versions or if they have been modded.

I agree with the Bad Monkey suggestion. However, have you looked into any other pedals?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
+1

Generally Boss dirt pedals really aren't that great unless they are the MIJ versions or if they have been modded.

I agree with the Bad Monkey suggestion. However, have you looked into any other pedals?

can anyone suggest other pedals?
Last edited by Firebirdz at Jul 23, 2009,
What genres do you play?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Try the Ibanez TS9 or Ts9dx is what I use. Great overdrive pedal.

It's kinda out of my budget
Look used if you can. eBay pedals are typically much cheaper. Especially if you're not in the US.

Modded SD1 > Bad Monkey > SD1
The TS9 is good though, and the TS7 is pretty good and similar price to the SD1.
Is the TS7 good for what i wrote i play?
Thing is, here in Israel the selection of what we have sucks, and my uncle is in the U.S.A for a week so i can get stuff from him there, so i can't really save up.
Don't expect to get any real dirt out of a Bad Monkey and have it still sound really good. You can add a smidge with the gain knob, but after a point it starts to get kinda harsh.

The Bad Monkey works best as a boost to give more volume and a bit of distortion but not if you're going to want something real crunchy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
save your money and buy a Quality pedal...........Not the pedal you can afford now. It will save you money over time. BUY quality the First time.
Try to find a used Vox V810 Valve Tone, great OD pedal.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by Firebirdz
Is the TS7 good for what i wrote i play?
Thing is, here in Israel the selection of what we have sucks, and my uncle is in the U.S.A for a week so i can get stuff from him there, so i can't really save up.

id say yes .. the ts7 is cheap .. has a regular ts-9 channel to boost your amp distortion or a HOt channel which put a very overdriven sound and very midrangey .. so it would sound like punk rock ( think green day - dookie/imsomniac era ) .

i really like my ts-7 .. its unique sounding comparing to my other pedal ... it doesnt sound too sterile like other boss pedal ...

i play through solid state and still think it sound good .... im sure it will sound great through your tube amp .

and its only 35 $ on ebay .

im thinking about using two at the same time to really push the gain really high .

i like the ts-7 .. this pedals is a keeper in a pedalboard and will be useful no matter what set up youll get for years . for 35 $ .. cant go wrong .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Can anyone tell me if i can get a harder,more Sabbath/ozzy sound with the TS7?
Quote by Firebirdz

I really think you should save and get a Keeley modded pedal or the MXR Distortion III like you're talking about in the other thread.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Firebirdz

no you wont .. the ts-7 .. even with the hot channel ... is still an overdrive .. for black sabbath .. youll need a distortion/fuzz box IMO .

you wont push the ts-7 alone into metal /hard rock territory .. you need distortion / metal /fuzz etc... pedal for that . an od alone wont do unless you already have a very distorted sound from your amp and use it as a boost .

same for the zakk wylde overdrive from MXR .. the pedal alone wont give you Zakk Wylde sound ... you need an already cranked amp like a jcm 800 and use the overdrive to push it .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim