Lets say you have a double locking floating tremolo (can be any, edge pro, OFR, OFR pro, etc.) and you tune it to 2 or 3 steps down, does it's tension and set up get screwed up? Thanks .
Yes.

If you tune that low you will need to make adjustments to the springs tension and possibly the action depending on what gauge strings you are using.
tighten the claw!!!!
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I have mine tuned to Drop A. It will get screwed up. You'll just have to set it up again, like you have to when you switch string gauges.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
or you could block the trem if you don't really use it. then you don't have to worry.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by XGhacker
I see. What about 1/2 step down and Drop D?

same thing... no matter what you're going to change the tension... its balanced by springs. when the tension on one side changes if affects the other. the key word here is "balanced".
Quote by konfyouzd
same thing... no matter what you're going to change the tension... its balanced by springs. when the tension on one side changes if affects the other. the key word here is "balanced".

So basically, I either play normal, or 1/2, but I can't alternate without doing a set-up in between?

Edit: wowowowow guys hold on, I've never owned a Tremolo guitar yet and you're using terms I don't know , please explain yourself.
What are "fine tuners" and how do I block a Tremolo?
Last edited by XGhacker at Jul 22, 2009,
no you can do full step up and down WITHOUT set-up if your fine tuners are set to middle
fine tuners are small tuners at bridge which allow to tune in about 1,5-2 steps range
you cant use your usual tuners when the tremolo is set-up
Fine tuners are the little screws on the end of the tremolo.

Blocking your tremolo involvles insterting a block into the back cavity, instructions are...

Take off the back plate.
Detune all strings.
Remove all springs.
Measure the distance between tone block (where the springs sit in) and the cavity walls.
Get a block in those dimensions (Wood, Metal washers, Coins, and Erasers are popular, however I suggest against erasers)
Remove trem from cavity.
Glue/Tape block on. (I suggest taping as it is easily reversible)
Re-insert trem.
Tune.
Play.

Have fun :P