Page 1 of 2
IN this thread you pretty much put your 2 cents in about the most fun and boring songs to play on bass.

For me the most fun are:
Mississippi queen (the bass Line) by Mountain
Freeway Jam (Both parts, melody and bass.) By Jef Beck
Gig Shirt By Doug Johns (you should try it.)
Aeroplane and Higher ground (Bass Lines) BY RHCP
and Drown (The melody) By the Smashing Pumpkins.

The most boring:
Man in a box by alice in chains
and Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
Last edited by theamericandj at Jul 22, 2009,
let me put my love into you- acdc has one of the most boring bass lines ive ever heard
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Fun: Rush - The Trees

Not fun: My band's song "Eye Of The Universe". 8 minutes of D... B flat... D... B flat... D... B flat...

Okay, there's actually a lot of room for fills and I want to put in a pretty tight bass solo there, but that's pretty much the chord changes in the song.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
As boring as it might sound, i really enjoy the basslines to For Whom Bell Tolls by Metallica.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
And also for me its not really how "complex" the bass line is, its if the whole band is into the music, you know, like its really tight. Like the blues, it can be really fun if the bassist does a little bit of busting out, and if the drums and organ does too. Not just "Okay, we got those vocals out of the way, heres another guitar solo!" after a while of that, it kind of gets old.

even if the bass is just playing that low E string over and over again, it can be super fun depending on how the rest of the band is.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

Quote by theamericandj
And also for me its not really how "complex" the bass line is, its if the whole band is into the music, you know, like its really tight. Like the blues, it can be really fun if the bassist does a little bit of busting out, and if the drums and organ does too. Not just "Okay, we got those vocals out of the way, heres another guitar solo!" after a while of that, it kind of gets old.

even if the bass is just playing that low E string over and over again, it can be super fun depending on how the rest of the band is.

That's the thing that makes my "boring song" fun. It's all about feel and atmosphere. But I guess it's not so fun to new bass players we hire, and I just tell them "yeah repeat these two notes for the entire song as whole notes" because I want them to get the feel for the song before they start shredding fills.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by Oosh.
As boring as it might sound, i really enjoy the basslines to For Whom Bell Tolls by Metallica.

Thats not boring.. Its an awesome bassline, especially if you can pull off a nice lil intro solo
fun:
Juicebox - The Strokes
Hand that feeds - Nine inch nails
hysteria - muse

boring:
Take me out - Franz Ferdinand
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
The bass line to "Running With the Devil" gives me the Z's.

Iron Maiden's "Phantom of the Opera" is a fun one though.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I have to say it takes quite a bit to make me bored playing a bass line; but after a year and half playing Albatross by Fleetwood Mac, pedaling just the E and F# for an entire song is a bit drool inducing.
Quote by Oosh.

It's really fun for me too. I love playing the Cliff Burton solo on top of the normal bass intro.
I'm with Tams on that, even the simplest line can be good to play - I like to get myself right inside the dynamic of a line. Simple lines let me 'zone out' to a degree, which I think is such a good feeling!

Favourite fun lines, however...
'Love Rears Its' Ugly Head', by Living Color
'You're So Vague', QOTSA (well, any Nic-era stuff; I like knocking seven shades of crap out of a detuned bass...)
'50 Ways To Leave Your Lover', Paul Simon
'Welcome To The Real World', Gun (I go all funky-jazz-rock under the guitar solo, winds guitarists right up.)
'22 Acacia Avenue', Iron Maiden

There is however, one line which always depresses me...
'The Chain', Fleetwood Mac. That's for personal reasons, and no harm meant to Mr McVie.
^Another one like that is "Groove is in the Heart"--its easy but really fun to get funky like Bootsy Collins.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Both the one of the most fun and most boring basslines I've ever played is Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band. It's so repetitive, but it grooves so deep that it fits perfectly in both categories.

LOL! i was just about to say that man, it's true.
i guess it's just a fun song for me, to play around with people, but if you just look at it... like wow, that's really, really monotonous lol.
Anything by AC/DC is extremely boring.
A really fun song to play is Lounge Act by Nirvana, or CD Repo Man by The Aquabats.
I have fun with some of the bass stuff on early Metallica albums.. anything by Paramore bores me, but I don't play that too often.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
fun-
Lounge act by nirvana
will you be my girl by jet
Sober, or schism by tool
On the road again by willie nelson
Dunno about you, but personally playing Muse bores me to death, I'm surprised so many people have so much fun playing it.

Fun songs? King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Rush, Frank Zappa, Tool, Opeth and some Spock's Beard.
Proud Mary. I cannot stand that song. A band played it at a bar i was at so i sculled my beer and walked out. Turns out I'd actually finished my beer 3 songs ago and the beer i sculled belonged to a midget who looked very pissed.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by watchingmefall
Dunno about you, but personally playing Muse bores me to death, I'm surprised so many people have so much fun playing it.

Fun songs? King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Rush, Frank Zappa, Tool, Opeth and some Spock's Beard.

You are so right. I love playing Porcupine Tree and Opeth too. I intend to learn some more Spock's Beard.
signature
So Whatcha' want? - Beastie Boys...

REALLY good line on that one...
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Fun: I love playing Limp Bizkit's stuff on my 5-string. Nookie, 9 Teen 90 Nine, Re-Arranged, Hot Dog, Nobody Like You

Boring: I Kissed A Girl- Katy Perry. Had to cover that for a friend of mine.
Signatures Are Stupid
The awakening is always fun to play.

Most metal songs I know bore the tits off me.
I have learned quite alot of Motley Crue and Metallica for jamming with metal heads and the only one I would consider fun is 'For whom the bell tolls'.

Pulling teeth is also a good song, but I don't like the way CLiff Burton has the fuzz on it. I think it sounds so much better clean.
peace sells - megadeth is one of my favorites to play

running with the devil - van halen makes me sleep
Bring your daughter to the slaughter by iron maiden just repetitive open triplets on the e string.
Bring your daughter to the slaughter by iron maiden

Yeah, but when jamming with a band, it's a lot of fun to play.

You can do lots of headbanging and jumping without screwing up the song. lol
Signatures Are Stupid
Quote by Bassist1992
Yeah, but when jamming with a band, it's a lot of fun to play.

You can do lots of headbanging and jumping without screwing up the song. lol

Why he wrote it that way Id say

Anything Tool=Fun.

Anything my band seems to want to cover=Boring.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Fun:
Californication - RHCP
Sally's Song - Nightmare Before Christmas
Any Way You Want It - Journey

Boring:
Innuendo - Queen (as much as i love queen and john deacon's work)
Institutionalized - Suicidal Tendencies (though i've taken to improvising random fills during the song)
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I looked at Sabotage by the beastie boys, it turns out that that line is super boring. Its weird, its sounds really fun to play though.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

One that fits so well into both categories is All Right Now by Free. Boring because there is no bass in the verse and the chorus is extremely bland. Fun because of how sweet the bass is in the bridge.

Edit: Taper Jeans Girl by Kings of Leon is the most boring bassline ever. Seriously. And I hate Kings of Leon...I just wish the rest of my band did too
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Last edited by mwhan2209 at Jul 23, 2009,
Children of the Grave by Black Sabbath is easy and extremely fun to play
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
The first couple of minutes of Anesties(pulling teeth) is really fun to play. The most boring would probably be timmy the turtle by NoFX.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by anarkee
I have to say it takes quite a bit to make me bored playing a bass line; but after a year and half playing Albatross by Fleetwood Mac, pedaling just the E and F# for an entire song is a bit drool inducing.

Oh god... that songs bring me back terrible memories for me O_o
12 bars have scarred me for life. They have raped my soul.

Muse bass is fun at first, but by the end of the song it makes my wrists ache. New Born does terrible things to my wrists.
Page 1 of 2