Just what the thread title says...

Be sure to include why...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
six

edit: 'cause that's how many strings are on a guitar.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Jul 22, 2009,
6 or 4

just what im used to, dont really need the extended range, and music i play isnt heavy enough that requires the extra string
same reason for bass
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Last edited by Tyranus-3121 at Jul 22, 2009,
i prefer 7 for a couple of reasons...

1. i've just gotten used to starting and stopping runs on the 7th string
2. you can cover more territory with less linear hand movement
3. (should have been number 1) more range
4. the necks on 7 strings feel more comfortable to me
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
If I had the money for one, a 7 stringer. Then I won't have to droptune my guitar for the extra low range.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Six. I can't get into 7 strings because they remind me of nu-metal.
1 is all you need.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/

Why not have the extended range? You don't loose anything, only gain.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
7 I suppose. I don't think I'd need an 8 string unless I wanted to play Meshuggah or something like that.

To the person who said 7 strings remind them of nu-metal...you need to listen to more Death metal =)
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
7, though I don't own one.
More range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^Same as that.
I currently only have a six string, but often wish I could go lower in standard tuning.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Electric: 6 , well speaks for itself.
Acoustic:12 , Really love that sound you get from a 12-string acoustic makes it come alive so much more.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Quote by Pencil Man
six

edit: 'cause that's how many strings are on a guitar.

Ya, pretty much the same for me, I don't need any more.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
I've heard songs played on 3 strings... So i don't see why i'd need more than 6. I play on 6 strings... I've never needed more or less. Lower or higher is a quick tuning away. Never felt the need for an extra string.
six. Or any number, if they make sound.

Never needed more than six, probably won't either. I just like working with what I'm given. I reckon there is an infinite number of musical possibilities with a six string guitar alone, so why not just explore them.