I'm trying to write a song, but I'm unsure how to apporach this. I wanted to know how other people compose songs. Do you guys use scales, arpeggios, etc?
just play around with some chords at first. then figure out a riff/intro that sounds cool. that's how i start writing a song.
<--- Craig: Guy With Best Username Ever
Quote by Primus2112
\m/[-_-]\m/

lulz, best name ever.

Quote by herby190
TS, your username is really difficult to type, so I'm just going to refer to you as Craig from now on. Okay? Okay.
I'm not creative. At all. So I start with a scale, and either come up with a chord progression or a riff from that scale and go from there.
I usually either start by just messing around with different chord combinations and different strumming patterns/rhythms and stuff, or, I make a little riff that sounds cool (by messing around in a scale) and then put chords around it that sound good with it. There is some theory to writing songs I think, but really, if you know kinda what you want, and you mess around with it a little, you will probably get a song that sounds good to you.
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
i start by picking up my guitar or pulling out the keyboard or making a beat. everything after that is a magical clusterf#ck.
Don't think about it just do it
If you over think it'll be become too technical and it won't be a song it will become a display of technique, songs deprive from emotion and the best way to write a song is to have a background on what the song will be about.
What am i trying to say?
Why am i saying it?
What do i want others to think?
Do i want it to be happy? sad? disturbing? etc
Think about it a little, it's yours to play with.
A song can be anything you don't have to follow the theory it just helps a lot =]
let songs write themselves; like write a line that u like the sound of and just keep complimenting it.

or try to write just the important notes of a song like just 1 or 2 notes per measure that make a a frame. then come up with some system to fill in the rest
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
scale--->chord progression--->melodic leads--->song

Oh and creativity would go a long way.
lol guitar
I mean, if I go and memorize a few scales I like a lot, then go find some chords that fit with those scales and just play around with the order and the like, is that really enough to make a song? How much repition gets too repetitive. I know if you have a certain lick that may represent the whole idea of the song you willl want to repeat, but how much is too much?
Yes it is enough to make a song, people have been doing it for hundreds of years now.
A better question would be; how do you plan to compose this song? Do you have a way of recording?
lol guitar
Quote by Iron Disturbia
I mean, if I go and memorize a few scales I like a lot, then go find some chords that fit with those scales and just play around with the order and the like, is that really enough to make a song? How much repition gets too repetitive. I know if you have a certain lick that may represent the whole idea of the song you willl want to repeat, but how much is too much?
Thats up to you. Just write something YOU like. If you like it other people will too, although its your opinion that matters most - its your song after all
Quote by Serpentarius
Yes it is enough to make a song, people have been doing it for hundreds of years now.
A better question would be; how do you plan to compose this song? Do you have a way of recording?

Not yet. But I do have a Loop station pedal and a Bass and a Guitar amp. I can write the guitar part and then play it back on the loop station and then use my bass amp to write that part. But I should be getting recording equiptment within the next 2 weeks or so.
i play some chords. When a repetitive progressions sounds nice, I try making a melody with my voice, improvising my lyrics to fit the tone of the music.
Then is takes off.
Quote by Iron Disturbia

Just kep playing the same riff of that song and when it goes on for lets say 8 times switch up/down an octave
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Write a simple melody and go from there.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
^^This is good.
But, actually, starting the process of writing a song is different depending on the genre you are in, imo. When I write prog minded songs, i start with a melody in a certain/key, take a bunch of chords from this scale. Then put on an instrumental section for improvised stuff, solos, etc. But, if you are into writing pop/rock songs that work nicely and sound catchy (which also requires a great deal of work, far more than detesters of pop music would believe) it would make better sense to use a nice, solid chord progression to hook your song onto, and then do your stuff.