So could anyone tell me, do valves sound better when they're brand new, when they've been used for a resonable amount of time, or just before they need replacing. I've heard different things from different people, I heard in a clinic with Shawn Lane, for example, that they sound best just before they are going to die, is there any truth in that, or is it completely down to personal preference? I have a BK Butler Tube Driver and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, so am curious
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

I know nothing about tubes, but it's said that most things work better after they've been broken in. I would think that tubes work the same way.
Quote by Seref
I know nothing about tubes, but it's said that most things work better after they've been broken in. I would think that tubes work the same way.

+1
Tubes sound best after an initial burn in period. After say 10-12 hours of playing. IMO they sound worst right before they die. Preamps will go microphonic and power amps will start to crackle and hum.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
^^It's probably getting towards that stage now for both my amp and pedal, had them both a three days so far (well the Tube Driver I got a few days before, but it sounded ****e through my Spider so I've only used it with my FDR)
Quote by tubetime86

Quote by boxcarmonument
Tubes sound best after an initial burn in period. After say 10-12 hours of playing. IMO they sound worst right before they die. Preamps will go microphonic and power amps will start to crackle and hum.

this. whoever told you they sound best before they die obviously has a hearing problem
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I've noticed lately my tone has become "browner" and I'm starting to think that it's because the tubes are dying.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by pmeg568c
this. whoever told you they sound best before they die obviously has a hearing problem

Dude, it was Shawn Lane

I'll post a link if you don't believe me
Quote by tubetime86

Quote by Stearner
Dude, it was Shawn Lane

I'll post a link if you don't believe me

I'd be interested to see it. Are you sure you didn't misunderstand? Maybe he meant
NOS valves. That I would agree with.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
BOTH

NOS Tubes are where its at.
Tubes gradually sound worse as they age (IMO) and sound like utter crap before they die (pretty much fact, some people might like crackling, but I'd generally consider that bad). The change is usually so gradual you won't notice. A good way to test is have two sets, use one set for 6 months and then swap. You'll probably notice your tone is a little crisper and little clearer. If you don't play a lot or drive the amp hard you might not notice any difference though.

NOS tubes are a different story, they're new, they were just made a long time ago. Tubes are vacuum sealed so there's really nothing that can age but the pins and those can be cleaned with a little contact cleaner or something.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by boxcarmonument
I'd be interested to see it. Are you sure you didn't misunderstand? Maybe he meant
NOS valves. That I would agree with.

He does talk about NOS valves, but then he says "Tubes, to me, sound best just before they're going to die".

Check around the 4:00 mark at the end of this vid, he talks about NOS just before that point too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDq0Bedbhtw

Weird...
Quote by tubetime86