I bought a Schecter guitar today (well actually... it arrived my post!) and noticed, since i'm not use to it.. the action is higher than on my Jackon and I find it harder to play some solos.... I could lower it i guess, but I'm just wondering... why do some people have it higher??? i dont want to ruin the sound.... its just to make it easier on my fingers, but im not sure if its a good idea, since it must have been set up like that for a reason...

sorry if im sounding like a dumby
Some people have it higher to make it easier to bend, and bends are sometimes able to sustain longer without buzzing out.
Higher action does give better tone.

And people like me who really like to hit the strings during solo's need it higher to prevent buzzing.

Its not bad once you get used to it. Really I don't even notice anymore.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I prefer low action on a guitar because it's easier to play. I like higher action on basses though, for some reason.

It's down to preference - find a balance of a tone you like and playability.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
I prefer low action on a guitar because it's easier to play. I like higher action on basses though, for some reason.

It's down to preference - find a balance of a tone you like and playability.

Nicely said.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Well, congrats on the new guitar. Just wondering, what Schecter did ya get?

Im pretty certain that the action on my C-1 is as low and it can possibly go. I guess its a matter of preference but I love it this way. Usually when you get it real low alot of buzz can develope, but if its done right this shouldn't be the case.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I've never really been able to get the action on my Hellraiser as low as I want it. Too much fret buzz. It's only a problem on the 6th string though, or maybe it's just the TOM bridge i can't get used to
Quote by MetalGrayFox
I've never really been able to get the action on my Hellraiser as low as I want it. Too much fret buzz. It's only a problem on the 6th string though, or maybe it's just the TOM bridge i can't get used to

Have you had a professional set it up? The person who sold me my C-1 had it setup before it shipped and whatever he/she did was perfect. I have very little buzz which is really weird considering how low the action is.

Nice. If you have a person that knows what they're doing set it up you can get it quite low with minimal buzz. I feel in the end its just personal preference and you should figure out what feels and sounds the best to you.